Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
How on Earth does a Bell get to be a sir? :D
a) He's a Canadian so there's a political element to such appointments.

b) Our governance is corrupt:

Since the covid-19 outbreak began early last year, John Bell, regius professor of medicine at Oxford University, has held high profile roles in the UK government’s epidemic response while also working with AstraZeneca on the vaccine.

But both Oxford and the government have refused to disclose Bell’s financial interests after The BMJ filed freedom of information (FOI) requests. More alarmingly, it appears that the government is referring media enquiries about Bell through the Cabinet Office and is scrutinising a reporter for The BMJ as it has other reporters it finds troublesome.1The BMJ has been unable to gain either direct contact with Bell or contact through his employer, Oxford University, despite multiple attempts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
a) He's a Canadian so there's a political element to such appointments.

b) Our governance is corrupt:

Since the covid-19 outbreak began early last year, John Bell, regius professor of medicine at Oxford University, has held high profile roles in the UK government’s epidemic response while also working with AstraZeneca on the vaccine.

But both Oxford and the government have refused to disclose Bell’s financial interests after The BMJ filed freedom of information (FOI) requests. More alarmingly, it appears that the government is referring media enquiries about Bell through the Cabinet Office and is scrutinising a reporter for The BMJ as it has other reporters it finds troublesome.1The BMJ has been unable to gain either direct contact with Bell or contact through his employer, Oxford University, despite multiple attempts.

It warms my heart to see that the Clan traditions are still alive and kicking, I was worried for a moment with this "Sir" thingy, when referring to members of Clan Bell it is more usual for it to be spelled "Cur"
Good to see it's actually an alias... :cool:
I can see where this will end.
"The road was a ribbon of moonlight over the purple moor
and highwayman kept riding, riding, over the purple moor"
Needless to say rather better off than when he first crossed the pond

Last edited:

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Jacob Rees-Mogg - It's a mistake to rush to judgement over David Cameron & Greensill, as he was a very successful Prime Minister

Gerald Bell@GOldcodger

Replying to
@Haggis_UK

David Cameron was a very successful Prime Minister? About as successful as the Mayors of Sodom and Gomorrao_O
But I love moggy for ironing the emperors clothes in public. It comes I think under the category of "keep digging"

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Jacob Rees-Mogg - It's a mistake to rush to judgement over David Cameron & Greensill, as he was a very successful Prime Minister

Gerald Bell@GOldcodger

Replying to
@Haggis_UK

David Cameron was a very successful Prime Minister? About as successful as the Mayors of Sodom and Gomorrao_O
It's fine to condemn him in the fullness of time - just not too quickly???

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
No sunlit uplands even above the clouds...

Pigeon fanciers in a flap over Brexit quarantine flock-up, seek exemption from EU laws
It won't fly. 'We are collateral damage'
https://www.theregister.com/2021/04/15/pigeon_fanciers_fear_brexit_quarantine/

Anyone else remember pigeon crates - large wicker baskets - on station platforms and trains? Used to be a regular feature of some of my childhood rail travel.

Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
One day, they are suggesting we can have two tests a week. The next day, they are re-thinking using the tests due to false positives.

Senior government officials have raised “urgent” concerns about the mass expansion of rapid coronavirus testing, estimating that as few as 2% to 10% of positive results may be accurate in places with low Covid rates, such as London.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Senior government officials have raised “urgent” concerns about the mass expansion of rapid coronavirus testing, estimating that as few as 2% to 10% of positive results may be accurate in places with low Covid rates, such as London.
It's what I in London have been saying all along, the whole testing program is a waste of time and money due to the hopelessly inaccurate tests.

Nice that government is finally waking up to the blindingly obvious. All they need to do now is realise their death rates are grossly exaggerated too.

• Disagree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
It's what I in London have been saying all along, the whole testing program is a waste of time and money due to the hopelessly inaccurate tests.

Nice that government is finally waking up to the blindingly obvious. All they need to do now is realise their death rates are grossly exaggerated too.
You should have been in any nhs inpatient unit during the last peak flecc. Admissions and death rates were not exaggerated. But we live in an atomised fragmented society, community where we often dont know our neighbours, what's really going on (and I'd say that about myself as much as anyone else)

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
You should have been in any nhs inpatient unit during the last peak flecc. Admissions and death rates were not exaggerated. But we live in an atomised fragmented society, community where we often dont know our neighbours, what's really going on (and I'd say that about myself as much as anyone else)
My analysis suggests that death rates , globally have been underestimated. I would think by about 40% to 50% . The figures are sitting at 3M dead , but I suspect the real figure is more like 4.5M. against that are the lives saved by reduced road traffic, road air pollution, reduced flu deaths, against that are the other things like delayed diagnosis ..so the overall profit and loss accounts are really difficult to figure out. What we do know is that a lot of things we viewed as essential are merely trappings s.

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
One day, they are suggesting we can have two tests a week. The next day, they are re-thinking using the tests due to false positives.

That’s a rubbish sensationalist statistic. Say you test 1 million people and 5 test positive. That’s four in one million people inconvenienced, at the most. I’d say that makes the testing worthwhile.

That 2% to 10% statistic needs to be presented differently. It’s meaningless in its present form. I suspect it’s a jurno trying to create a headline that doesn’t exist.

• Disagree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
That’s a rubbish sensationalist statistic. Say you test 1 million people and 5 test positive. That’s four in one million people inconvenienced, at the most. I’d say that makes the testing worthwhile.

That 2% to 10% statistic needs to be presented differently. It’s meaningless in its present form. I suspect it’s a jurno trying to create a headline that doesn’t exist.
Poorly written, I agree.

Leaked emails seen by the Guardian, however, show that senior officials are now thinking of scaling back the widespread testing of people without symptoms because of a rising number of false positives.

Across England as a whole, government officials estimate that only 38% of self-reported tests are thought to be accurate, based on the current prevalence of the disease.

In one email, Ben Dyson, an executive director of strategy at the health department and one of health secretary Matt Hancock’s advisers, stressed the “fairly urgent need for decisions” on “the point at which we stop offering asymptomatic testing”.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I didn't say it wasn't very bad, it was. But this isn't anything to do with personal judgement, it's simply acknowledging the facts.

The tests are proven to be very inaccurate with very large numbers of false positives and there is absolutely no doubt that the death rate is exaggerated. The 28 day rule alone makes that an absolute and the convenience of assigning Covid as the cause of death is also a one street to exaggeration.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Poorly written, I agree.

Leaked emails seen by the Guardian, however, show that senior officials are now thinking of scaling back the widespread testing of people without symptoms because of a rising number of false positives.

Across England as a whole, government officials estimate that only 38% of self-reported tests are thought to be accurate, based on the current prevalence of the disease.

In one email, Ben Dyson, an executive director of strategy at the health department and one of health secretary Matt Hancock’s advisers, stressed the “fairly urgent need for decisions” on “the point at which we stop offering asymptomatic testing”.
The Guardian. Say n’more.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
I didn't say it wasn't very bad, it was. But this isn't anything to do with personal judgement, it's simply acknowledging the facts.

The tests are proven to be very inaccurate with very large numbers of false positives and there is absolutely no doubt that the death rate is exaggerated. The 28 day rule alone makes that an absolute and the convenience of assigning Covid as the cause of death is also a one street to exaggeration.
How many false positives? We know the Guardian reported percentage, but what is the actual number of cases?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
How many false positives? We know the Guardian reported percentage, but what is the actual number of cases?
It doesn't matter, it's exaggeration.

Your union flag waving cheer leading is as wrong as it was with the AZ vaccine, which usage now even the UK is restricting.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My analysis suggests that death rates , globally have been underestimated. I would think by about 40% to 50% . The figures are sitting at 3M dead , but I suspect the real figure is more like 4.5M. against that are the lives saved by reduced road traffic, road air pollution, reduced flu deaths, against that are the other things like delayed diagnosis ..so the overall profit and loss accounts are really difficult to figure out. What we do know is that a lot of things we viewed as essential are merely trappings s.
Globally I agree, but the subject you were replying to was London specific.

Advertisers