Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Yep, agreed. There are loads of alternatives to leaving engine ticking over.. But taking grand kids to school it's amazing how many cars you see parked up with engine running. I don't get that at all this time of year, it's not for heater or air con. Just folk trying to be annoying I suspect.
I drive a hybrid and a conventional ICE with automatic engine restart.

The automatic restart works acceptably in long stop start. But has a horrible tendency to stop as I am waiting at a white line for a gap in traffic. Just when you don't want it to. Therefore I often switch it off which defeats the point of having it in the first place. And results in what you see outside schools.

Whereas the hybrid behaves impeccably. Easy start on electricity only. When I am driving and partner is left in car for a few minutes outside a shop, I often leave ignition on. Mostly engine does nothing but she can still keep warm/cool, operate windows, etc.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Labour politicians love to talk about fighting social injustice and racism on the TV ad nauseam. They are good subjects in which they feel comfortable talking about but hardly striking fear for the conservatives.
Of course, they don't strike fear in anybody, safe ground,

Labour has to show their plan and address common issues for the vast majority of voters: taxes, jobs, benefits, social care for the elderly, house planning, transport, environment, infrastructure projects etc.
All things costing lots of money, so striking fear in those who don't need most of them but would have to pay for them, i.e. the majority conservative people:

Transport? They already have cars.

Housing? They already have a home, often already theirs.

Jobs? They've got one.

Benefits? They don't need them.

Infrastructure? Oh God, not another Carillion and PFI.

What they see in the list is TAXES, and they dont want those!

The Tories can promise all those things since everyone knows they are liars who don't deliver, other than for themselves. But Labour actually mean them and that's very scary.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Of course, they don't strike fear in anybody, safe ground,

All things costing lots of money, so striking fear in those who don't need most of them but would have to pay for them, i.e. the majority conservative people:

Transport? They already have cars.

Housing? They already have a home, often already theirs.

Jobs? They've got one.

Benefits? They don't need them.

Infrastructure? Oh God, not another Carillion and PFI.

What they see in the list is TAXES, and they dont want those!

The Tories can promise all those things since everyone knows they are liars who don't deliver, other than for themselves. But Labour actually mean them and that's very scary.
I don't think they are scary, just difficult subjects to look into the need of the many who vote instead of the few who are in dire needs and hardly have time to vote.
Most of us pay taxes all our working life.
We don't fear taxes but we want to know how it will be spent.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As a whole Govt have performed sort of average world wide.??
No.

On medical grounds they've done well, but on fiscal grounds they've been a disaster, doing immense damage to our future.

As many others have shown with no more or even lower death rates than us, that was completely unnecessary and incredibly foolish.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I drive a hybrid and a conventional ICE with automatic engine restart.

The automatic restart works acceptably in long stop start. But has a horrible tendency to stop as I am waiting at a white line for a gap in traffic. Just when you don't want it to. Therefore I often switch it off which defeats the point of having it in the first place. And results in what you see outside schools.

Whereas the hybrid behaves impeccably. Easy start on electricity only. When I am driving and partner is left in car for a few minutes outside a shop, I often leave ignition on. Mostly engine does nothing but she can still keep warm/cool, operate windows, etc.
Yep, I forgot Hybrids sat ticking over don't pollute environment.. Silly me.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Should have been one of the first vehicles to be banned in any form but BEV. Use liquid nitrogen and/or dry ice, as needed, for refrigeration.
Or the battery, refrigeration at that level is very economical on power.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
No.

On medical grounds they've done well, but on fiscal grounds they've been a disaster, doing immense damage to our future.

As many others have shown with no more or even lower death rates than us, that was completely unnecessary and incredibly foolish.
They have spent a fortune, quite alien to Tories. No way on earth will that be found as being against Government. It will be viewed as their attempt to offset /limit fiscal damage, which to be fair it was.
Reckon if you asked 100 people at large were govt right to borrow and spend such colossal amounts 80% would say they were.
Brother in law continually moans at debt we, ve incurred, but it didn't stop him milking system for as much as he could.. His business has never made so much money with so little effort.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Or the battery, refrigeration at that level is very economical on power.
My leisure (100ah) can run our fridge for 3 days on campervan. . Yep I know its tiny at side of IC van but a bank of batteries charging over night would run freezer all day.
No vehicles, anywhere, should be sat ticking over.. We, ve even got into habit of switching our boats V8 off picking skiers up.. (and its on LPG so not so bad for environment) E ski boats are already here but just stupid prices at moment..

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
difficult subjects to look into the need of the many who vote instead of the few who are in dire needs and hardly have time to vote.
But as I showed, the list isn't the needs of the many, far from it, they're alright Jack. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

Remember the last two elections and many before? The Tory propaganda machine tells us that Labour will bankrupt the country, and it works every time.

The lesson Labour need to learn well enough is how to con the country better than the Tories do. Blair succeeded in doing that for a while, but now a different method will be needed if there is such a thing. I don't think there is at present.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They have spent a fortune, quite alien to Tories. No way on earth will that be found as being against Government.
Of course it will when the bill comes in!

And how does doing immense fiscal damage limit fiscal damage?

If they hadn't had all their enforced unnecessary business closures there wouldn't have been fiscal damage to offset.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Of course it will when the bill comes in!

And how does doing immense fiscal damage limit fiscal damage?

If they hadn't had all their enforced unnecessary business closures there wouldn't have been fiscal damage to offset.
Spending on furlough was an attempt to keep businesses from going bust and a way of keeping economy (falsely) buoyant.
Stuff has been selling (bikes, ebikes, canoes, windsurfing kit etc, has gone crazy. Been double edged, ie new kit coming in very slow (Brexit and Covid) but without doubt folk have had money in their pockets. And private debt (card loans) are lowest in 25 years... Purely because quite literally govt have been giving money away. Whether it works or not is another matter,but short term it has worked. I, ve sold more Windsurf Kit this month than I, ve ever done. Second hand kit has gone up in value and shops aren't discounting new, which is unheard of in this sector. Can't get stuff quick enough... And it's gone. Mates bike shop is same.
Whatever happens very few will hold this against government. Other things perhaps but not giving money to businesses and people.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Spending on furlough was an attempt to keep businesses from going bust and a way of keeping economy (falsely) buoyant.
Stuff has been selling (bikes, ebikes, canoes, windsurfing kit etc, has gone crazy. Been double edged, ie new kit coming in very slow (Brexit and Covid) but without doubt folk have had money in their pockets. And private debt (card loans) are lowest in 25 years... Purely because quite literally govt have been giving money away. Whether it works or not is another matter,but short term it has worked. I, ve sold more Windsurf Kit this month than I, ve ever done. Second hand kit has gone up in value and shops aren't discounting new, which is unheard of in this sector. Can't get stuff quick enough... And it's gone. Mates bike shop is same.
Whatever happens very few will hold this against government. Other things perhaps but not giving money to businesses and people.
That's got nothing to whatsoever to do with what I'm saying.

I'm talking of a near half trillion increase in the national debt and when that bill starts to appear on future pay slips and in future company profits.

Then they absolutely will hold it against the government.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The article explains unit ICE is planned to be used in conjunction with battery etc.. (Tank to be a hybrid... In interests of environment whilst launching nuclear warheads and depleted Uranium shells? Possibly.. But more likely for silent running and low heat signature.
Think it points to idea that no matter how good batteries etc become there will always be a necessity for prime movers in vehicles. You couldn't really operate a fleet of Prius to stop Putin motoring accross Europe could you.???
Nope!. The idea was to drop nukes as shells as the tanks crossed the Luneburg Heath plateau, . This would have bought the time needed to bring across a full army . Pity about Hamburg and NW Germany.. well we are all in it together, .. and the USA planners are well prepared to sacrifice lives for the greater good.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Nope!. The idea was to drop nukes as shells as the tanks crossed the Luneburg Heath plateau, . This would have bought the time needed to bring across a full army . Pity about Hamburg and NW Germany.. well we are all in it together, .. and the USA planners are well prepared to sacrifice lives for the greater good.
WTF... I give a link about a new (ish) engine and mention its in tanks to stop Putin coming accross Europe (in jest) and the argumentative feckers in here get all pedantic. FFS, how many times. I posted about a fecking engine. Get a grip.

• :D

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
That's got nothing to whatsoever to do with what I'm saying.

I'm talking of a near half trillion increase in the national debt and when that bill starts to appear on future pay slips and in future company profits.

Then they absolutely will hold it against the government.
That's your opinion. It's not fact flecc. I don't think they will. Motorcycle sales are up 570% this April. Government will simply say, and be believed, borrowing money for Pandemic was essential.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
WHO are saying entire Pandemic has been handled badly World Wide so sort of self criticism there and BJ is not alone by any stretch of imagination. As a whole Govt have performed sort of average world wide.?? Guardian suggest otherwise but that's hardly a shock is it.?
Average for a government on the dark side of the moon, certainly not here

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Average for a government on the dark side of the moon, certainly not here
Statistics rather than bias might suggest otherwise.
UK now 15th in death rates per million World wide, likely soon to be 17th or 18th.(Poland,Croatia and, USA are all within a percent or so of our figure)
Does depend on one's idea of average I suppose, but in rank order on death rates for similar socio economic, demographic groupings... UK is in middle.. Sort of a median average performance,even viewed from dark side of the moon. Arguably of course.

Advertisers