Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Here for your delectation are the words of Daniel Hannan SRI (State registered Imbecile)
What Britain looks like after Brexit
So, as written it refers to an annual Independence Day on 24th June (he actually typed 24 June but I like the British tradition of adding the "th"). Better get their skates on as tomorrow has not yet been declared such and if they miss the 2022 one, 2023 would be the inaugural one rather than annual. Or it is a load of idiocy.

Whereas it is actually Bannockburn Day (and has been for many years). Which rather highlights his total lack of appreciation of the actual history of the UK and Scotland.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So, as written it refers to an annual Independence Day on 24th June (he actually typed 24 June but I like the British tradition of adding the "th"). Better get their skates on as tomorrow has not yet been declared such and if they miss the 2022 one, 2023 would be the inaugural one rather than annual. Or it is a load of idiocy.

Whereas it is actually Bannockburn Day (and has been for many years). Which rather highlights his total lack of appreciation of the actual history of the UK and Scotland.
Full of falsehoods, such as the countries he lists as following us out of the EU. Clearly he's a fantasist.

POLLY

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
Chesterfield
Remember the stupidity of Matt Hancock's fines for breaching Covid regulations, fixed penalties which rose to £10.000 regardless of ability to pay? A number of these have been issued to teenagers and matters have come to a head with one of them.

An 18 year old about to start his career, he'd invited 22 friends to join him at his Manchester house at a time when gatherings were limited to 30. As so often happens with such young events, a few more turned up and gate crashed, the police got wind of this and turned up. They were of the opinion that there were more than 30 present , though don't seem to have made an exact count, but regardless issued the 18 year old a £10,000 fixed penalty.

The legal position with such penalties is ridiculous. There is an impossibly short time limit for settlement before risk of imprisonment and there is no right of appeal against the penalty. At the time of it being issued one can opt to go to court and fight the case instead but few have the presence of mind to do so and once the penalty is issued one can't change one's mind.

Of course this 18 year old was very concerned since once not paid on time it becomes a criminal offence and a criminal record would threaten his intended career. By then even the police themselves became concerned at what they had done, so they rescinded the £10,000 fine and replaced it with a £400 fixed penalty.

You might approve of that and it certainly showed more common sense than Matt Hancock has ever been capable of, but I don't approve at all.

Firstly the whole principle of fixed penalties is wrong since it constitutes the prosecutor then determining guilt and finally determining the sentence. Nowhere else in our law can that happen, and having no right of appeal after the penalty is issued just makes this all the more inhumane and unjust.

And in this case the fact that the police have decided how much the penalty should be is also fundamentally wrong, despite their humane intentions. The whole point of parliament setting up the Crown Prosecution Service was to separate the police from the decision to prosecute and also from the court justice process since the CPS prosecute, not the police in major matters. And a £10,000 fine with a threat of a prison sentence and criminal record for an 18 year old is very much a major matter which should be beyond police powers to decide.

And of course at the core of the matter is a system that allows a minister like Matt Hancock to make such an arbitrary ill thought out order without any reference to parliament for MPs to judge the suitability of the decision or have the authority to be able overrule it.
B.S

• :D
Reactions: wheeler

POLLY

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
Chesterfield
Sydney have had 16 people test positive for coronavirus yesterday so, Sydney's 5.3 million residents will have to wear masks indoors, and many will be banned from travelling out of the city.

We had 11500 people, and rising, test positive yesterday, so Party Boy Johnson still floats the idea of abandoning all Covid safety measures. Who’s got this right?

Coronavirus is here, it’s inconvenient but it’s not going to go away. We must live differently in the future. I’d rather return to the 2019 way of doing things, but we can’t.
B.S

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
5000 more infections today. 3% will end up in hospital (as opposed to 10% if it weren't for vaccination). It will be a long slow painful spike. That's the kind of bs that puts the usual populist Tory bs in perspective.
16,135 - as I read it. But all due to surge testing in Scotland. That's all right then...

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
16,135 - as I read it. But all due to surge testing in Scotland. That's all right then...
Yes over 16,000 cases today, the highest total since early February and a fair bit higher than last Wednesdays total of just over 9000. Downing Street also said they were watching for any potential spread of the so called Delta Plus variant but at the moment this did not seem to be spreading rapidly.

Merkel is worried that the Delta variant could spread from the UK into the EU and wants all UK arrivals into the EU to be quarantined, but I think some of the less wealthy countries are desperate to get some of our tourists spending cash over there.

POLLY

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
Chesterfield
Yes over 16,000 cases today, the highest total since early February and a fair bit higher than last Wednesdays total of just over 9000. Downing Street also said they were watching for any potential spread of the so called Delta Plus variant but at the moment this did not seem to be spreading rapidly.

Merkel is worried that the Delta variant could spread from the UK into the EU and wants all UK arrivals into the EU to be quarantined, but I think some of the less wealthy countries are desperate to get some of our tourists spending cash over there.
The pandemic is a 100% hoax

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
I read that as terrificator - which takes you to this bizarre site: http://www.terrificator.com/
Bit like the recent account of the queen and boris' conversation about hancock ("poor man", she say, "he says things are getting better, he's full off..."; "beans" boris add quickly). The horrid truth, hidden reality will out, even if both are desperately trying to avoid it.

Reactions: flecc and oyster

Advertisers