Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
50 miles (rather than 80 km), surely?
Interesting one that . They have some Scientists in NASA , and Science uses the metric, .. unfortunately they also have plenty of Engineers with their sub contractors .wedded to the old scale. Maybe that's why they picked a simple number to keep both camps happy.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Interesting one that . They have some Scientists in NASA , and Science uses the metric, .. unfortunately they also have plenty of Engineers with their sub contractors .wedded to the old scale. Maybe that's why they picked a simple number to keep both camps happy.
I did check and the NASA website I found actually had both. But the number was probably set many years ago when miles were even more prevalent. I'm sure that all real science and engineering is in metric/SI - even in the USA. Except diameter of tyres... And tap fittings. Both of which snuck out and infected the world.

Like UK weather forecasts and media have spent decades giving Fahrenheit temperatures. No-one uses Fahrenheit any longer unless they are using a thermometer so calibrated. But the continued use in weather forecasts keeps it going many years past and rational basis.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Interesting but I am extremely sceptical.

If it is an effect of a vaccine triggering the innate immune system, rather than virus-specific, did they account for other vaccines such as shingles and pneumonia?
As you say, hence my "I wonder?"

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
My morning tweet
Gerald Bell@GOldcodger
·Replying to
@Haggis_UK
Edward Agar: "I, like Boris Johnson, have trust & faith in the innate common sense of the British people" Unfortunately do do I, and it got off to a cracking start last night, didn't it? Any country that elects a Conservative government isn't in danger of having common sense

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry flecc, you cannot disagree ..you can dislike, but these are facts . You can have your own opinions but not your own facts. They take that figure because the atmosphere is basically gone ..it is below 10-5 that of sea level.
I can and I did disagree because they are untruths.

I'm not discounting or in any way critical of the achievements of travel beyond earth, they've all been amazing, but that doesn't mean they can be celebrated with untruths.

For example, and astronaut is literally a star traveller, i.e. between stars.

If we accept that one who travels within the solar system of our one star, the sun, is an astronaut, then we are all astronauts every time we hop on our bikes or walk down the road.

• Agree
Reactions: Jesus H Christ

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was dreading England winning and Johnson attempting to bathe in reflected glory.
It was a good result, Italy have been remarkable thoughout this competition and before, 34 wins in a row in international competition is special by any standards.

Being born English I would have liked us to win, but also being half Italian, I'm happy anyway, a winner either way.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
An interesting comment about engineers living in the past; the ones I knew who preferred imperial measurements have mostly died of old age by now!

Don't Engineers retire in the Emerald isle?
Or do you just have them stuffed and propped up at meetings?;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
  • Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
An interesting comment about engineers living in the past; the ones I knew who preferred imperial measurements have mostly died of old age by now!

There were so many oddities about non-metric measurements!

Like units of less than an inch being barleycorn (if anyone remembered it existed) and fractions or thous. That is, either using a system which was somewhat awkward or dumping you into metric. How many, even of us who went through it all, could readily recite the measurements from zero to one as sixty-fourths, thirty-seconds, sixteenths, eighths, quarters and halfs of an inch?

Even now, we see major corporations, such as Apple, referring to their 12.9 inch screen iPad! A good mix of non-metric and decimal in one measurement.

Reactions: oldgroaner

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I think it's reasonable to assume that is possible and perhaps even likely.

A number of symptoms are common to both illnesses, so where a vaccination relieves the common symptoms, there will be some benefits from either vaccination.
Not sure that follows. A vast proportion of infectious diseases cause an elevated temperature, tiredness and headache. But the likelihood of vaccinations for any one of them helping with all the others seems low, to me. Or at least, not predicated on similarity of those symptoms.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I did check and the NASA website I found actually had both. But the number was probably set many years ago when miles were even more prevalent. I'm sure that all real science and engineering is in metric/SI - even in the USA. Except diameter of tyres... And tap fittings. Both of which snuck out and infected the world.

Like UK weather forecasts and media have spent decades giving Fahrenheit temperatures. No-one uses Fahrenheit any longer unless they are using a thermometer so calibrated. But the continued use in weather forecasts keeps it going many years past and rational basis.
..Oyster , I was being a bit tongue in cheek .. you might recall the NASA mission where the Parachutes deployed after the payload had nose dived into the surface. A little matter of replacing metres with feet ( ooh I see you did)

Reactions: oyster

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018

Ah, meetings. That's one thing the sceptre ******* isle majors on. 26 months until early retirement for me and the thought of not going to another meeting feels impossibly good.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

.. That's just the Civils ,.. they never die, just smell that way.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
There were so many oddities about non-metric measurements!
My favourite is the whisky bottle, 26 2/3 floz in UK, 1/5 gallon in US

Even allowing for the difference in pints (20floz in UK, 16floz in US) , how can 26 2/3 be 1/5th of anything sensible? (Answer later if someone else don't post it)

Advertisers