Brexit, for once some facts.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
I was out running with a group on Thursday. Two people in that group now have coronavirus. I have tested myself and it’s negative (for what that is worth). How far back is the rule for isolation? Do I need to do anything else? There seems to be very little / nothing in terms of guidance.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Sorry flecc, you cannot disagree ..you can dislike, but these are facts . You can have your own opinions but not your own facts. They take that figure because the atmosphere is basically gone ..it is below 10-5 that of sea level.
I disagree that flecc can’t disagree. I for one agree with flecc’s decision to disagree with you. But, I agree, you are likely to disagree with my decision to agree with flecc’s disagreement. On this I guess you & I must agree to disagree. I hope you agree.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
BJ is following your advice, so it seems.
I think partly from financial necessity, partly because the old way hasn't worked.

Perhaps it's dawned on them that it couldn't, there were too many gaps in the armour.

At the point when the first vaccinations were switched to the 40 year olds, it was mentioned that 19% of the fifties and over hadn't been vaccinated, that's a huge gap.

Then there's the unbelievers, many young, who firmly believe Covid doesn't exist, maybe 5% or perhaps many more who won't get vaccinated. Another hole in the defences.

Then there's all test and trace failings, the App that doesn't work well and the fact that 16% of the population don't own a smartphone so cannot co-operate with it.

So time to switch to co-operation. It worked for two world wars, once the people saw the need, they came forward in droves, volunteering to be killed. All we are asking for this time is that they avoid getting killed.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
what do you think 'living with covid' will be like a year from now?
what if the economy requires that people who are infected without symptoms are allowed or required to continue working?
We will all have a lot more space between us!

Reactions: Woosh

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I disagree that flecc can’t disagree. I for one agree with flecc’s decision to disagree with you. But, I agree, you are likely to disagree with my decision to agree with flecc’s disagreement. On this I guess you & I must agree to disagree. I hope you agree.
"It doesn't matter what you say
'cause I'm against it anyway,
Whatever it is, I'm against it!"
Groucho of course

• :D
Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I was out running with a group on Thursday. Two people in that group now have coronavirus. I have tested myself and it’s negative (for what that is worth). How far back is the rule for isolation? Do I need to do anything else? There seems to be very little / nothing in terms of guidance.
Perhaps try the more reliable test? My Daughter's partner has the virus and she tested negative on the flow test so has had the more stringent one.
I reckon if you plead insanity and quote the forum they are sure to give you one
(and maybe even the whatever it's name test that works too)

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I think partly from financial necessity, partly because the old way hasn't worked.

Perhaps it's dawned on them that it couldn't, there were too many gaps in the armour.

At the point when the first vaccinations were switched to the 40 year olds, it was mentioned that 19% of the fifties and over hadn't been vaccinated, that's a huge gap.

Then there's the unbelievers, many young, who firmly believe Covid doesn't exist, maybe 5% or perhaps many more who won't get vaccinated. Another hole in the defences.

Then there's all test and trace failings, the App that doesn't work well and the fact that 16% of the population don't own a smartphone so cannot co-operate with it.

So time to switch to co-operation. It worked for two world wars, once the people saw the need, they came forward in droves, volunteering to be killed. All we are asking for this time is that they avoid getting killed.
I don't think that like the "Wet paint, don't touch" signs this hasn't a snowflake in hell's chance of working

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Watching BJs press conference today I found the following stats given by PV and CW a little surprising. They said after two doses of the vaccine you had 50% protection from catching the virus. This was a lower figure than what I have seen in the past I am sure I had seen you had 70% protection from catching the virus.

They did however go on to say that a double dose of the vaccine gave you over 90% protection from having to go to hospital.

JA wrote on here recently that the ONS thought long covid was happening in around 13% of people who caught covid, does anyone know if you have both doses of the vaccine but still catch covid what are the chances of getting long covid?

If the answer to the above is still around 13%, then if we assume the advisors figures are correct and a double vaccine only provides 50% protection from actually catching the virus, and for the ones that are vaccinated but who do go on to catch the virus then if that is still 13% then that is an awful lot of people who are likely to get long covid once all restrictions have been removed.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Watching BJs press conference today I found the following stats given by PV and CW a little surprising. They said after two doses of the vaccine you had 50% protection from catching the virus. This was a lower figure than what I have seen in the past I am sure I had seen you had 70% protection from catching the virus.

They did however go on to say that a double dose of the vaccine gave you over 90% protection from having to go to hospital.

JA wrote on here recently that the ONS thought long covid was happening in around 13% of people who caught covid, does anyone know if you have both doses of the vaccine but still catch covid what are the chances of getting long covid?

If the answer to the above is still around 13%, then if we assume the advisors figures are correct and a double vaccine only provides 50% protection from actually catching the virus, and for the ones that are vaccinated but who do go on to catch the virus then if that is still 13% then that is an awful lot of people who are likely to get long covid once all restrictions have been removed.
Might be worth watching this - times definitely wrong for Wales!

Long Covid: Will I Ever Get Better?

Panorama

BBC correspondent Lucy Adams is one of more than a million people in the UK with long Covid. She speaks to other patients desperate to know when they will be well again.

12 July 2021
29 minutes
Today 19:35

BBC One except Northern Ireland, Northern Ireland HD, Wales & Wales HD

bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000xwjg

Note the confusion as to when and where it will be shown. Still, we can expect it in iPlayer sometime.

It has also been reported that the long Covid facilities which are supposed to exist are not working properly. People being turned away if they had not been hospitalised - no matter how bad they now are. Six months waiting list. And things like that.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Nev

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

Nev.. unfortunately this is a moving target, and when the Delta variant was neglible, those figures of 90% were applicable. But as each week progresses, and it becomes the dominant strain, then the ratio changes. So with increased numbers of infections and increased variants, at what stage are the original recovery from an infection or the original vaccination status irrelevant.
The UK had the father and mother of a superspreader event , over the length and breath of the land yesterday, ..but we will know that next week.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Nev

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't think that like the "Wet paint, don't touch" signs this hasn't a snowflake in hell's chance of working
So you think what we've been doing has been working well?

And that we should continue doing it?

And that we should add another £300 billion to our national debt?

All to double the failure we've achieved so far?

You do realise that we've failed, don't you?

Remember, doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result is the definition of madness.

And remember that I was told a year ago by large numbers of you that Sweden would suffer terribly from their policies that I advocate. They didn't, starting from the same point of failure, they ended up far better off than our 50% more deaths pro rata.

Of course asking for co-operation after bullying first won't work initially, we should have started that way. But since we are going to suffer a lot more anyway, we might as well put it to use teaching the public the hard way by letting them have control and know what they are responsible for doing.

It's called being cruel to be kind.

Enough snowflakes in hell could put the fire out.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Jesus H Christ

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I posted the below over four months ago, note my 54% in paragraph 4.

Note what flecc says, not Vallance or Whitty. They are political animals who say what is expedient while keeping their crossed fingers hidden.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner and Nev

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
How many thousand lives altered or lost to Covid and long Covid this time?
Ultimately less, but it could have been far less if they hadn't gone heavy handed last year.

But what's happened has gone, we can only alter the future as individuals. The days of it being shaped by throwing money at it are no longer possible.

• Disagree
Reactions: oldgroaner

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Might be worth watching this - times definitely wrong for Wales!

Long Covid: Will I Ever Get Better?

Panorama

BBC correspondent Lucy Adams is one of more than a million people in the UK with long Covid. She speaks to other patients desperate to know when they will be well again.

12 July 2021
29 minutes
Today 19:35

BBC One except Northern Ireland, Northern Ireland HD, Wales & Wales HD

bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000xwjg

Note the confusion as to when and where it will be shown. Still, we can expect it in iPlayer sometime.

It has also been reported that the long Covid facilities which are supposed to exist are not working properly. People being turned away if they had not been hospitalised - no matter how bad they now are. Six months waiting list. And things like that.
Just watched and made some notes:
33,000 children in UK have long Covid
1 in 8 progress from Covid to long Covid
A third had it more than a year
120,000 healthcare workers with long Covid
1 in 5 with long Covid struggle with memory or brainfog

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Ultimately less, but it could have been far less if they hadn't gone heavy handed last year.

But what's happened has gone, we can only alter the future as individuals. The days of it being shaped by throwing money at it are no longer possible.
Really?
So the end justifies the means does it?
NO

• Disagree
Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Nev.. unfortunately this is a moving target, and when the Delta variant was neglible, those figures of 90% were applicable. But as each week progresses, and it becomes the dominant strain, then the ratio changes. So with increased numbers of infections and increased variants, at what stage are the original recovery from an infection or the original vaccination status irrelevant.
The UK had the father and mother of a superspreader event , over the length and breath of the land yesterday, ..but we will know that next week.
At least some PMs know when they make mistakes:

Dutch PM sorry for opening up too soon

Advertisers