Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Singular? Surely not.
Zlatan will never learn not to make What he regards as sly little digs,and everybody else thinks so bloody childish.
This is too tempting are you asking for someone else to be added as well as yourself,zlatan?

Suzan

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2021
Devon
Zlatan will never learn not to make What he regards as sly little digs,and everybody else thinks so bloody childish.
This is too tempting are you asking for someone else to be added as well as yourself,zlatan?
Perhaps childish digs but you, ve just proven him correct.
And, for what it's worth, I, ve watched in here since leaving. You do insult continually, he has stopped responding specifically but you continue. ( look at your last response to him suggesting word should be echoes instead of echo) he didn't even mention your name, but you take the insult. Guilty conscience perhaps?) You should both grow up.
The tone in here is appalling, from yourself, Polly, Zlatan, JHC and especially Jonathon Agnew. It's putting me off the entire Forum.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
reading your posts (only a bit between lines) seems to suggest folk think the vaccine will work. If that's the case why point out, argue about who is responsible for its potential failure.
I don't need to argue about the vaccines potential failure, as vaccines they're rather unsuccessful and sometimes even on the verge of failure, and that is before we even know how long their limited protection lasts.

The function of a vaccine is to prevent one getting the targeted disease and we've had some highly successful ones, the best being the Smallpox vaccine which has totally eliminated that terrible disease. There are a number of other highly successful ones in the active, inactive and sub-unit groups, chiefly those against Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Polio, Tetanus, Diptheria, Pertussis (Whooping Cough) and Influenza.

Unfortunately the vaccines we have against Covid-19 cannot prevent us from contracting the disease in anything like all cases. They do however limit the ill effects of the disease when we do catch it, though for how long we don't know. The benefits so far we are told, as well as some degree of prevention of catching Covid, are a large reduction in the need for hospitalisation and a reduction in the transmissibility of the virus. Both are very useful and valid reasons why we should all be innoculated for everyone's sake.

But as vaccines against contracting Covid-19, with efficacy levels in the way they are being applied from as low as 54% at times, they are too often unsatisfactory, as shown by other vaccines with efficacy rates from 50% to somewhat over 60% being officially termed failures. One of the approved Covid vaccines only averages 66% protection against contracting the the disease and the claims of others for 95% or even 100% protection are only for some in certain circumstances. So even calling them vaccines in the accepted meaning of the word is ambitious. Quote:

"Vaccines are designed to prevent disease, rather than treat a disease once you have caught it."

But of course the Covid-19 vaccines in many instances are treating, having insufficiently prevented, so are best regarded as antigens**, highly desirable precautionary medicines rather than highly effective vaccines, ensuring if the disease is caught that the ill effects for the victim and others are minimised, albeit for a yet unknown period.

Fortunately the makers are well aware of their limitations and are already promising forthcoming boosters and/or replacements, so hopefully they'll substantially improve given time and may one day better qualify as highly effective vaccines.

Of course one way we can already improve the disease prevention performance of the vaccines is to get the full dosage into arms at the fastest recommended interval instead of continuing the delaying, or simply use them as single dose vaccines.

** An antigen boosts the immune system against a specific disease, especially promoting the production of antibodies.

Last edited:

Suzan

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2021
Devon
I don't need to argue about the vaccines potential failure, as vaccines they're rather unsuccessful and sometimes even on the verge of failure, and that is before we even know how long their limited protection lasts.

The function of a vaccine is to prevent one getting the targeted disease and we've has some highly successful ones, the best being the Smallpox vaccine which has totally eliminated that terrible disease. There are a number of other highly successful ones in the active, inactive and sub-unit groups, chiefly those against Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Polio, Tetanus, Diptheria, Pertussis (Whooping Cough) and Influenza.

Unfortunately the vaccines we have against Covid-19 cannot prevent us from contracting the disease in anything like all cases. They do however limit the ill effects of the disease when we do catch it, though for how long we don't know. The benefits so far we are told, as well as some degree of prevention of catching Covid, are a large reduction in the need for hospitalisation and a reduction in the transmissibility of the virus. Both are very useful and valid reasons why we should all be innoculated for everyone's sake.

But as vaccines against contracting Covid-19, with efficacy levels in the way they are being applied from as low as 54% at times, they are too often unsatisfactory, as shown by other vaccines with efficacy rates from 50% to somewhat over 60% being officially termed failures. One of the approved Covid vaccines only averages 66% protection against contracting the the disease and the claims of others for 95% or even 100% protection are only for some in certain circumstances. So even calling them vaccines in the accepted meaning of the word is ambitious. Quote:

"Vaccines are designed to prevent disease, rather than treat a disease once you have caught it."

But of course the Covid-19 vaccines in many instances are treating, having insufficiently prevented, so are best regarded as antigens**, highly desirable precautionary medicines rather than highly effective vaccines, ensuring if the disease is caught that the ill effects for the victim and others are minimised, albeit for a yet unknown period.

Fortunately the makers are well aware of their limitations and are already promising forthcoming boosters and/or replacements, so hopefully they'll substantially improve given time and may one day better qualify as highly effective vaccines.

Of course one way we can already improve the disease prevention performance of the vaccines is to get the full dosage into arms at the fastest recommended interval instead of continuing the delaying, or simply use them as single dose vaccines.

** An antigen boosts the immune system against a specific disease, especially promoting the production of antibodies.
Well informed, well written post.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
And, for what it's worth, I, ve watched in here since leaving. You do insult continually, he has stopped responding specifically but you continue. ( look at your last response to him suggesting word should be echoes instead of echo) he didn't even mention your name, but you take the insult. Guilty conscience perhaps?) You should both grow up.
The tone in here is appalling, from yourself, Polly, Zlatan, JHC and especially Jonathon Agnew. It's putting me off the entire Forum.
A little bit judgemental don't you think? and who precisely have I been insulting?
That is utter nonsense, however plainly you have a rather liberal interpretation of what constitutes an insult
Let me give you one to consider
"You should both grow up"
Let's look at how this works, if I or anyone else you have named uses that remark it's an insult
If you use it it isn't?
and
The tone in here is appalling?
Judged and found guilty on the basis of what?
Let me let you into a secret. Zlatan and I are despite appearances friends, and we simply joust verbally.
Incidentally I do not have a guilty conscience, You may not have noticed but despite him having blocked my posts, which is why he has stopped responding, he is still communicating with his little jibes, he's a very clever man that knows exactly where his shots will land, but is having time off temporarily, it isn't the first time he has done this sort of thing of taking the ball home several times before, it's all part of the game
A pity that we don't have your blessing to do that, but now having "had a go" at the list of those you regard as having lower standards than yourself
welcome to the "club of insulting people" as you understand the term apparently
All human beings do it, and as I said earlier you are both free to speak your mind and are very welcome
:D

Last edited:

POLLY

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
Chesterfield

The function of a vaccine is to prevent one getting the targeted disease and we've has some highly successful ones, the best being the Smallpox vaccine which has totally eliminated that terrible disease. There are a number of other highly successful ones in the active, inactive and sub-unit groups, chiefly those against Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Polio, Tetanus, Diptheria, Pertussis (Whooping Cough) and Influenza.

100% BULL CRAP

• :D
Reactions: Zlatan and wheeler

POLLY

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
Chesterfield

The function of a vaccine is to prevent one getting the targeted disease and we've had some highly successful ones, the best being the Smallpox vaccine which has totally eliminated that terrible disease. There are a number of other highly successful ones in the active, inactive and sub-unit groups, chiefly those against Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Polio, Tetanus, Diptheria, Pertussis (Whooping Cough) and Influenza.

Smallpox vaccine is 100% BULL CRAP

• :D
Reactions: wheeler

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I suspect Polly is somebody's alter ego... poking us all with a stick for a reaction.
Nobody can actually think small pox vaccine programme didn't exist or didn't work... Not sure what he means.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The Telegraph had a piece in from artificial Lord Frost where he's obviously trying to make matters worse by making a stupid statement "it's about time Brussels treated Britain with respect"
Clearly this government stooge has been sent there to prevent any agreement being reached

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Clearly this government stooge has been sent there to prevent any agreement being reached
Baron David Frost has a reputation of a tough negotiator to defend.
I think he still believes we hold all the cards.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
You certainly do... And you will be left carrying them, now that the game has changed to Chinese Chequers. What I see panning out is that the EU will let the unilateral UK breach to NI continue , unless they see flagrant breaches and stuff appearing in France. Meanwhile the EU Parliament will not get around to rejecting the Trade Agreement, and the EU Court will issue a reprimand to the UK.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
What have I said that’s so offensive? I’m known as Mr tact & diplomacy.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Paradoxically I agree with you. And apologies for assuming you voted for brexit/boris before. You seemed a dead ringer for a female alias of another brexit voter on here (and god knows, we have our share of conservative female impersonators). However, it was an assumption, so apologies. However, it's an ideal world in which we dont insult each other. I'm afraid back in the real world were all a lot like the royal family ( if one pick ever so slightly at the quite flaky surface it's all tribal and rage in the underbelly)

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Tough negotiator?
Born loser with a bad attitude because it pays is more like it
I doubt whether he cares one way or the other, it's all about pleasing the blond Worzel when very likely that individual wants a no deal Brexit to please the lunatics that pay him and are pulling his short and curlies :D

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Advertisers