Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
5 mph limit isn't viable for two wheel balance and complete control over distance, especially on tiny scooter wheels. The Japanese, ever thorough, have ruled 12 kph ( 7.5 mph ) maximum on pavements for all types of bicycles where pavement use is permitted or compulsory and that seems to be safe for them.

Having seen how our public are behaving on them, I hope they are not legalised for any use whatsoever. Today's English people at least are simply not sufficiently law abiding or sensible enough.

I don't even see e-scooters as useful, since there is no carrying capacity for any shopping or luggage, however slight, and making up for that with backpacking makes them even more dangerous with the increase in the already high overall C of G.
We can disagree on their utility. I see them used by commuters , not shoppers .. We can totally agree about the futility of backpacks, ..but I see them in constant use by cyclists. I have always used carrier mounted bags. Many scooters will have a small front carrier suitable for a handbag... Or will when the women start using them. Men have basically given up on carrying laptops to and from work.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The world of the Telegraph is bizarre

The Telegraph @Telegraph
· 8h
Shop shelves have been empty of basic supplies, while petrol stations have run out of fuel as the NHS Test and Trace app threatens to bring parts of the economy to a standstill https://telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/07/21/pingdemic-means-supermarket-supply-chains-starting-fail/?utm_content=telegraph&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1626897788
oldgroaner@oldgroaner

Why hasn't Europe suffered in the same way when they have Test and Trace too?
Admit it: Brexit is the reason for the problem, stop lying about it's effects in the Telegraph.
Will the shelves magically fill without test and trace?

Meanwhile I rather liked this

• :D
Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
My tweet on response to empty supermarket shelves due to the "pingdemic"
Replying to
@LBC and @mrjamesob

No doubt way back at the time of the Great fire of London there would have been complaints about the number of scaremongers running around shouting FIRE! causing the Night soil collection service not to turn up on schedule :D

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
“nobody had any idea the actual effects of [the Protocol] until we left the EU”.
Kwasi Kwarteng.
Obviously nobody in the leave camp noticed that the EU has a list of products that are restricted or banned to import.

"Anyone who is sure that Brexit is a good idea has got a screw loose."
Dom. Cummings.

They should have read this thread before signing the deal, I suppose.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
“nobody had any idea the actual effects of [the Protocol] until we left the EU”.
Kwasi Kwarteng.
Obviously nobody in the leave camp noticed that the EU has a list of products that are restricted or banned to import.

"Anyone who is sure that Brexit is a good idea has got a screw loose."
Dom. Cummings.

They should have read this thread before signing the deal, I suppose.
The president of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, has rejected Boris Johnson’s move to renegotiate the Northern Irish protocol, raising the temperature of a simmering Brexit row.

“The EU will continue to be creative and flexible within the protocol framework. But we will not renegotiate,” she said after a call with the prime minister on Thursday.

Johnson, the NIP and GFA aren't like marriage where you swear until death do us part but ignore that after a few months. It is where words really do have meaning and wrong words have bad consequences. There really isn't an amicable divorce option available...

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The president of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, has rejected Boris Johnson’s move to renegotiate the Northern Irish protocol, raising the temperature of a simmering Brexit row.

“The EU will continue to be creative and flexible within the protocol framework. But we will not renegotiate,” she said after a call with the prime minister on Thursday.

Johnson, the NIP and GFA aren't like marriage where you swear until death do us part but ignore that after a few months. It is where words really do have meaning and wrong words have bad consequences. There really isn't an amicable divorce option available...
With respect .. that is what I have been saying for a long while.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
You don't need to put "With respect" - that comes across as if you are just about to insult me. :)

I know you have said that. Now I have also said it!
I am reporting you both to that Deputy Speaker lady. kindly leave the room and when you come back remember Brexit voters may accidentally stumble upon this thread, and exchanges of that tone will pass over their heads higher than the two billionaire would be Flash Gordon's did.
:cool:

Reactions: snafu and oyster

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
5 mph limit isn't viable for two wheel balance and complete control over distance, especially on tiny scooter wheels. The Japanese, ever thorough, have ruled 12 kph ( 7.5 mph ) maximum on pavements for all types of bicycles where pavement use is permitted or compulsory and that seems to be safe for them.

Having seen how our public are behaving on them, I hope they are not legalised for any use whatsoever. Today's English people at least are simply not sufficiently law abiding or sensible enough.

I don't even see e-scooters as useful, since there is no carrying capacity for any shopping or luggage, however slight, and making up for that with backpacking makes them even more dangerous with the increase in the already high overall C of G.
Any slow speed is stable as long as you have a foot available to put on the ground. I think (assuming they are allowed in pedestrian areas such as pavements at all, and they probably shouldn't be) that the rule should be no assist when on the pavement, real scooting only allowed, 3 mph speed limit on the pavement.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Trouble is, the phrase "With respect", and many others which superfically appear polite, or very polite, are widely used facetiously. Not saying you did.
With all due respect that's rather like describing someone as
"The Right Honourable Member"!
;)

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Any slow speed is stable as long as you have a foot available to put on the ground. I think (assuming they are allowed in pedestrian areas such as pavements at all, and they probably shouldn't be) that the rule should be no assist when on the pavement, real scooting only allowed, 3 mph speed limit on the pavement.
I suspect that the problem is not she stability of the machine, rather that of the simple organism nominally in charge of the device

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I suspect that the problem is not she stability of the machine, rather that of the simple organism nominally in charge of the device
I think considering legalising these things has been a disaster, letting the cat out of the bag.

Yesterday driving to Warlingham I saw two in quick succession that made me raise my eyebrows.

The first was ridden by a young boy around 7 years, on the pavement alongside his briskly walking mother. So much for only on the road with a driving licence.

The second, also on the pavement alongside friends, was being ridden by a young man around 19/20 years old. His powerful looking scooter had a post rising from the platform for the saddle he was sitting on. That of course made it totally illegal since that classifies it legally as a motorcycle.

There are so many of them now and mostly being used illegally, I can't see how the authorities are ever going to get back control.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I think considering legalising these things has been a disaster, letting the cat out of the bag.

Yesterday driving to Warlingham I saw two in quick succession that made me raise my eyebrows.

The first was ridden by a young boy around 7 years, on the pavement alongside his briskly walking mother. So much for only on the road with a driving licence.

The second, also on the pavement alongside friends, was being ridden by a young man around 19/20 years old. His powerful looking scooter had a post rising from the platform for the saddle he was sitting on. That of course made it totally illegal since that classifies it legally as a motorcycle.

There are so many of them now and mostly being used illegally, I can't see how the authorities are ever going to get back control.
I agree with you on both counts. Which is why I believe they will be legalised. Now whatever about ones capable of excess of 15 mph being got at as motorcycles , the smaller ones will have a future.

• Agree

Advertisers