Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Now whatever about ones capable of excess of 15 mph being got at as motorcycles ,
Actually 12.5 mph (20kph) will be the hinge point here, since the government say they will fall into line with EU law on them, rather than US law.

Presumably they've forgotten everything they said about Brexit being about making our own laws.

the smaller ones will have a future.
Sensibly, where and how? The public ignore the law, aided by cynical companies like Halfords. E-scooters have already shown themselves as being dangerous on both roads and pavements since they are often used dangerously on both.

We rarely even police our roads any more and virtually never the pavements, so where will the control be?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Actually 12.5 mph (20kph) will be the hinge point here, since the government say they will fall into line with EU law on them, rather than US law.

Presumably they've forgotten everything they said about Brexit being about making our own laws.

Sensibly, where and how? The public ignore the law, aided by cynical companies like Halfords. E-scooters have already shown themselves as being dangerous on both roads and pavements since they are often used dangerously on both.

We rarely even police our roads any more and virtually never the pavements, so where will the control be?
The Accident and Emergency Departments alas

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I see a Sage member is calling the government out:

Sage adviser claims ministers trying to get as many as possible infected with Covid
Exclusive: Prof Robert West says rhetoric about caution is ‘a way of putting blame on public’

A scientist advising the government has accused ministers of allowing infections to rip through the younger population in an effort to bolster levels of immunity before the NHS faces winter pressures.

The allegation comes after England’s remaining Covid restrictions were eased on Monday, with nightclubs throwing open their doors for the first time in the pandemic and all rules on social distancing and mask wearing dropped even as infections run high.

Ministers were made aware of scientists’ concerns about reopening nightclubs and other crowded, close-contact and poorly ventilated venues without testing or other checks in place. On Monday Boris Johnson made the surprise announcement that Covid passports will be required for such settings – but not until the end of September, in two months’ time.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/23/ministers-letting-young-people-catch-covid-to-prepare-for-winter-sage-adviser-claims

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

Afraid the approaches that might help are utterly ignored.

For example, if Halfords (or whoever else) became liable for each offence committed on units they sell. With an escalator, one idiot + one offence = 10 to the power one fines, 10 idiots + 10 offences = 10 to the power 10 fines, and so on.

Reactions: flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
This is a video I posted elsewhere on the forum.
I really don't see how these things can possibly be legalised.

I am looking forward to many more of these very high speed scooters being made available... Unlike the cadavers from car accidents, where the steering wheel damages retrieval of heart and lungs, , they should be relatively unscathed from these.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Found this in yesterday's Hansard
"
Nadhim Zahawi
Sharethis specific contribution
I am really grateful to the hon. Member for that excellent question, and I am grateful for her comments about our Friday morning meetings. Her constituents can rest assured that those who are in clinical trials, including the Novavax trial, will have their data on the NHS covid app as being fully vaccinated, whether they are receiving the placebo or the vaccine, across all trials. That is happening. I will take it offline to look at her constituents’ case to make sure that that happens for them, because I am assured that the system already recognises that.

So a placebo is good enough?
Imagine what the anti vaxers will do with that information!!

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
"
Nadhim Zahawi
I am really grateful to the hon. Member for that excellent question, and I am grateful for her comments about our Friday morning meetings. Her constituents can rest assured that those who are in clinical trials, including the Novavax trial, will have their data on the NHS covid app as being fully vaccinated, whether they are receiving the placebo or the vaccine, across all trials. That is happening. I will take it offline to look at her constituents’ case to make sure that that happens for them, because I am assured that the system already recognises that.

Or a vaccine that fails clinical trials?

Our plans seem to include recognition of vaccinations in at least some other countries. But only if we recognise the vaccine used. Assuming that is reciprocal, Novavax-vaccinated subjects in the UK, will only be regarded as vaccinated when Novavax is recognised in other countries. So trial participants will be unable to travel even if they have Covid-app proof. Unless the app doesn't display vaccine used.

I am sure other countries will be questioning our proof - and finding this snippet could rebound against everyone.

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
"
Nadhim Zahawi

I know somebody who is on a clinical trial and they either get the trial vaccine or one of the vaccines already in use... nobody gets a placebo.

Reactions: Nev

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I know somebody who is on a clinical trial and they either get the trial vaccine or one of the vaccines already in use... nobody gets a placebo.
That might be the case for that trial, but:

What's involved in taking part in a vaccine study?
If you take part in a vaccine study you'll need to visit the hospital, or other research site, a few times over 6 to 12 months.
At these visits, you'll usually:
  • be told about the research study
  • have the chance to ask any questions
  • have blood tests
  • have an injection, which may or may not be the COVID-19 vaccine
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/research/coronavirus-vaccine-research/

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
We heard today some really bad news, this chap is having his leg amputated as it is his only chance of survival however it is only a very small chance.
Unfortunately this man died last night he was 54 years old, and I am not aware of any previous underlying health conditions. Although he was over weight he was not what one would describe as obese, he had done manual type work all his life and had that sort of natural fitness that manual workers tend to have.

This is a really strange kind of virus that it can kill an extremely physically strong man like this, his family are absolutely devastated.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Unfortunately this man died last night he was 54 years old, and I am not aware of any previous underlying health conditions. Although he was over weight he was not what one would describe as obese, he had done manual type work all his life and had that sort of natural fitness that manual workers tend to have.

This is a really strange kind of virus that it can kill an extremely physically strong man like this, his family are absolutely devastated.
Sorry to read that. Thanks for letting us know.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
  • Agree
Reactions: oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
On a positive note I think we have had 3 or 4 days in a row with declining infection rates and I think its about 7 days since we have had the highest number.
the number of cases depends partially on thee availability of PCR tests.
If our government makes booking more difficult because of less availability, the number of positive cases flattens or even drops.
Currently, about 400,000 PCR tests a day are done. 10% are positive.
I believe that the wider infection survey by ONS is a better yardstick. every week, about 741,700 people within the community population in England had COVID-19, 1 out of 75.
we are bound to bump into someone infectious sooner or later.

• Informative
Reactions: oyster and Nev

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Yes this is my understanding of how we now do these types of trials.
The answer given in that Hansard comment was so bizarre, that I am looking for ways in which it might make sense. Perhaps a comparative study between two vaccine regimes,both previously approved?. It is often the case that a Minister / Department will have extra information,furnished by the MP in advance of the question detailing say the name of a constituent, and the specific circumstances and this is not made public.

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
the number of cases depends partially on thee availability of PCR tests.
If our government makes booking more difficult because of less availability, the number of positive cases flattens or even drops.
Currently, about 400,000 PCR tests a day are done. 10% are positive.
I believe that the wider infection survey by ONS is a better yardstick. every week, about 741,700 people within the community population in England had COVID-19, 1 out of 75.
we are bound to bump into someone infectious sooner or later.
"we are bound to bump into someone infectious sooner or later." .. Not likely as they Are tootling over on the Ferries to Belfast and down to us. NI certified infection rates are 3 times ours and we are climbing those charts.

• Agree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I see Javid has stirred it up:

Anger over Sajid Javid’s advice to not ‘cower’ from Covid
Bereaved families, Labour and Lib Dems all condemn health secretary’s ‘insensitivity’

I suspect Javid does not understand the etymology of "cower". Why did Burns write:

Wee, sleekit, cowrin, tim’rous beastie,

He knew that cowrin and tim'rous have different meanings (as do wee and sleekit) - it wasn't out of ignorance (or emphasis by repetition) that he worded the verse as he did.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Advertisers