Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I'm not speaking of deaths, which are low anyway thanks in part to the vaccines, but of the claimed Covid infections, so many of which are symptomless or almost entirely so.

As pandemics go this one is a rather poor performer, over 97% of us failing to contract it and the few who do mostly suffering little or no symptoms. Not exactly the black death is it, or even Spanish 'flu?

On this occasion the government has got it right, get things back to normal as far as possible but with some sensible voluntary personal precautions. Just a pity they didn't use that approach from the start. And their experts, Whitty, Van Dam and Spiegelhalter who forecast this policy would result in immediate disaster have been completely wrong. Instead of infections rising from the high of 50,000 a day as they forecast, they halved in just a week and have stayed stubbornly below 30k/day since.

With the continuing and probably expanding vaccination program I believe Covid will stay under control at tolerable levels while we continue to look for more effective long term vaccines.
Bit of a pity that the government set such a god awful example of not wearing masks in the House of Commons in order to appear macho to the Brexit dead heads

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
A few short months ago we were discussing refurb aloowances for Downing Street.

Just checking, when they say £30,000 per year, is that a flat (ho :) ) rate per year, or per year per PM? You know, in case...

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
You do have a cool head in general but not on covid.
Do you realise that we are in worse situation than at the same time last year, despite vaccinations?
Then, there were 100 people admitted to hospital and 12 deaths in a day, now, it's 800 admissions and 100 deaths! The virus kills about the same percentage, the difference in numbers is due to the much higher infectivity of the delta variant.
Any new strain displacing the delta variant will by implied logic, have even higher infectivity than the delta variant. I just keep my fingers crossed that the vaccines protect us against the worst case scenario.
People are just getting used to hearing bad news about covid.
When the weather turns colder, as it will, covid will get worse. Even without a new variant, the cold weather will bring back 30,000 more cases a day by October.
My opinion is somewhere between yours and flecc’s We were in a better situation this time last year because we’d had a crippling lockdown the likes of which we’ve not seen since.
I think infection rates, hospitalisation and deaths will increase over winter, but if we can do < 500 / day, people will accept it.

Reactions: oyster and flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Nothing to sniff at...

August 10, 2021

Intranasal COVID-19 vaccine effective in animal studies
At a Glance
  • A nasal spray of the Oxford/AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine protected hamsters and monkeys against serious disease and reduced the amount of virus in the nose.
  • Less virus in the nasal passages could decrease the risk that vaccinated people spread the virus, even if they don’t feel sick.
  • A clinical trial is underway to test intranasal vaccination in people.
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/intranasal-covid-19-vaccine-effective-animal-studies

• Informative
  • :D
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Nothing to sniff at...

August 10, 2021

Intranasal COVID-19 vaccine effective in animal studies
At a Glance
  • A nasal spray of the Oxford/AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine protected hamsters and monkeys against serious disease and reduced the amount of virus in the nose.
  • Less virus in the nasal passages could decrease the risk that vaccinated people spread the virus, even if they don’t feel sick.
  • A clinical trial is underway to test intranasal vaccination in people.
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/intranasal-covid-19-vaccine-effective-animal-studies
I developed a suppository based vaccine, but for all the good it did, you may as well have shoved it up your arse.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
More medicine news:

Press release First monoclonal antibody treatment for COVID-19 approved for use in the UK

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has today given approval for the first monoclonal antibody treatment for the prevention and treatment of COVID-19 in the UK.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/first-monoclonal-antibody-treatment-for-covid-19-approved-for-use-in-the-uk

Very hopeful, positive news if it works as we hope.

But we need to ask, what are the chances of having enough of it and using it intelligently across the four nations?

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Every day in every way this government sets new standards

The only Englishman to get a worse comment in the Daily Mail than their adoration of Hitler

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I intensely dislike the term "cretin" - even within its proper field of medicine. Having been deeply involved in thyroid issues, I think of people who have been appallingly damaged by failure to identify or adequately treat thyroid issues. That is why I left my post using the Epimenidean original (OK - translated version of).

Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
You might get a bit concerned when they offer you a pessary.
If I recall my History correctly the ancient Aztecs using to take drugs in the form of suppositories to get high at Festivals
Perhaps it improved the conversation at parties?

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
If I recall my History correctly the ancient Aztecs using to take drugs in the form of suppositories to get high at Festivals
Perhaps it improved the conversation at parties?
Since finding the derivation of the phrase "ginger up", I have wondered if it too could improve "conversation" at parties for humans as well as horses?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
This is a corker

Amazing what they can treat these days :D
They are just thinking ahead. With waiting lists growing and growing is is likely that Impatience will be biggest psychological problem the NHS has to fix... sadly the waiting list for Impatience treatment looks likely to be even longer than all the other waiting lists.

Advertisers