Brexit, for once some facts.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Zlatan if the UK actually went for multiple seat constituencies and PR, you would have much weaker central Government..( eg less arrogance), but much more representative representation and they would be constantly listening to their clients.
Fair point. But we haven't. We have a one party democracy, which is a contradiction. We don't need a revolution and a new system of governance for us to be represented. Just a viable opposition party.
I do agree PR would be fairer... But no idea how we could implement it, especially whilst the one party we do have is in power... Its the ultimate catch 22. If we could get a fair vote on PR... We wouldn't need PR.. Boris certainly isn't going to introduce PR, to be fair not sure Starmer would if in some mangled reality he ever got to no10.. He, d apply same arguments BJ does now.
PR favours minority parties... The ones not in power. Doesn't take much thought to realise wgy we haven't got it and probably never will.??? Another pipe dream?
You, d think by now some party, man or body would have risen phoenix like to lead us out of this Conservative utopia.. Cometh the hour and all that. We are still waiting. But don't hold your breath.
On a more positive note.
For a while I, ve had cataracts. 3 weeks ago it was decided I needed to get them done.
10 day waiting list. (from assessment for them) Had first done this morning. Vision very blurry at moment but I, m assured it will clear up. I was expecting at least 6 months wait. Well done NHS. (and heart still in rhythm) Big thanks on both.

Last edited:
Reactions: daveboy and Nev

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We have a one party democracy, which is a contradiction. We don't need a revolution and a new system of governance for us to be represented. Just a viable opposition party.
Not really true though, it's the public who stop us getting an opposition.

Recent Labour have been an opposition, but too left wing for the public who say they want a more moderate middle of the road one.

Well they've got that and long have had, they are the Lib Dems. But our perverse public won't vote for them in big enough numbers, so they ended up in a coalition in which they were crushed into submission.

And it cannot be said we have a one party democracy when there's the following elected and mostly in the House from 2019, representing huge chunks of the UK.
It's not another opposition party we need, it's a 67 million public who will vote for one!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
It's not another opposition party we need, it's a 67 million public who want to vote for one!
Fixed that for you Flecc.
And by the way I said a viable opposition. (or meant to) There is a massive difference.

How many people honestly think any other current party could run the country? Well obviously quite a few, especially on here, but obviously not enough for that party to hold any meaningful power.
We have a one viable party democracy, and they are barely viable.. Probably not thinking about it but still way more so than all rest put together. Like they say, in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.
Our current Conservatives only look good compared to other side of house. Best of a bad bunch.
Conservatives didn't win power, the rest ensured it.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Fair point. But we haven't. We have a one party democracy, which is a contradiction. We don't need a revolution and a new system of governance for us to be represented. Just a viable opposition party.
I do agree PR would be fairer... But no idea how we could implement it, especially whilst the one party we do have is in power... Its the ultimate catch 22. If we could get a fair vote on PR... We wouldn't need PR.. Boris certainly isn't going to introduce PR, to be fair not sure Starmer would if in some mangled reality he ever got to no10.. He, d apply same arguments BJ does now.
PR favours minority parties... The ones not in power. Doesn't take much thought to realise wgy we haven't got it and probably never will.??? Another pipe dream?
You, d think by now some party, man or body would have risen phoenix like to lead us out of this Conservative utopia.. Cometh the hour and all that. We are still waiting. But don't hold your breath.
On a more positive note.
For a while I, ve had cataracts. 3 weeks ago it was decided I needed to get them done.
10 day waiting list. (from assessment for them) Had first done this morning. Vision very blurry at moment but I, m assured it will clear up. I was expecting at least 6 months wait. Well done NHS. (and heart still in rhythm) Big thanks on both.
Glad to hear the operation has worked out well, did they stop you being able to drive?
That would have been pretty unpleasant.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Glad to hear the operation has worked out well, did they stop you being able to drive?
That would have been pretty unpleasant.
Afraid so...until next visit at least (2 weeks) then if this one OK doing other eye...
And surgeon said I must stay out of wind for a month... So will be no sailing for at least 6 weeks but small price to pay for better eye sight. Very impressed so far. Right eye without glasses already a match for left with... and my prescription was bad. Thanks for concern.
Can't believe how white some things are... Sort of creamy grey white with left.. Proper white with right.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
How many people honestly think any other current party could run the country?
Not sure exactly who, but I strongly suspect even some members of the same party could do considerably better than the current collection of dissemblers, hoodwinkers, mountebanks or however else you describe them.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Not sure exactly who, but I strongly suspect even some members of the same party could do considerably better than the current collection of dissemblers, hoodwinkers, mountebanks or however else you describe them.
Can't help but agree with that. There must be better material than those in our cabinet in most walks of life, but trouble is the people we like or would trust don't go near politics. Why didn't Michael Palin have calling to be PM? Because he, s decent perhaps.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Can't help but agree with that. There must be better material than those in our cabinet in most walks of life, but trouble is the people we like or would trust don't go near politics. Why didn't Michael Palin have calling to be PM? Because he, s decent perhaps.
Whilst I, m here... Recently there seems to have been more evidence of other life on distant planets. Can you imagine the consternation if on their arrival BJ was introduced as our PM and Michael Palin as a wacky comedian.
"Got that wrong didn't you?"....

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
can anyone explain to me what is the point to ask Biden to extend the deadline?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Whilst I, m here... Recently there seems to have been more evidence of other life on distant planets. Can you imagine the consternation if on their arrival BJ was introduced as our PM and Michael Palin as a wacky comedian.
"Got that wrong didn't you?"....
I’d rather imagine Johnson arriving on distant planets. Mind, if he had to feed himself en route, he’d likely starve after a few days such is his incompetence. But even if he doesn’t starve, at least he would be far, far away.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
He can't win either way. All forces over there were damned staying or leaving. I just wonder what outcome would had been had 3 trillion dollars been spent building bridges rather than blowing them up.???
I think most of the money (135 billion dollars a year) was wasted on private army contractors like the 16,000 US personnel employed to maintain the Afghan army's helicopters. After Trump did the deal with the Taliban, he pulled the plug on the contractors, leaving the now useless helicopters.
Did you watch Rory Stewart's documentary on Afghanistan? There was a little scene when Rory was invited to partake in some celebration. Rory, reminded his host that we in the West, thank our god for our food before meals, asked his host why they pray to thank Allah after the meal but not before. His host replied: let's eat first, if the meal is any good, we'll pray.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Question really is have Taliban changed enough to negotiate an extension?
it's not brexit, there is no point for asking nor giving an extension.
The taliban are not stopping foreigners and Afghans leaving the country now, why should they change after the end of the month?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
can anyone explain to me what is the point to ask Biden to extend the deadline?
It's simply to make it appear that any impending disaster will be Biden's fault and not that of our politicians. That's why they ask for the extension, knowing they cannot get one.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Question really is have Taliban changed enough to negotiate an extension?
They won't if we continue to hang onto and freeze Afghanistan's billions, the money they need to run the country.

Our Western politicians are trying to create a new war there now. By depriving the Taliban of the means to run the country, prompting their opposition, the Northern Alliance, to use the resulting civil disattisfaction to overcome the Taliban by fighting them. The fact that this policy will cause immense suffering and yet more deaths of the ordinary Afghans who are neither Taliban nor Northern Alliance doesn't matter to our contemptible politicians.

So which side is really the evil one?

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Rory, reminded his host that we in the West, thank our god for our food before meals, asked his host why they pray to thank Allah after the meal but not before. His host replied: let's eat first, if the meal is any good, we'll pray.
They make good sense. Do we tip the waiter when he takes our order, or after eating it?

Advertisers