Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
They are just thinking ahead. With waiting lists growing and growing is is likely that Impatience will be biggest psychological problem the NHS has to fix... sadly the waiting list for Impatience treatment looks likely to be even longer than all the other waiting lists.
They will have to be very Busy Lizzies to shorten the lists.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I'd like him to go without the opportunity to resign. Not going quite so far as to suggest he have a major heart attack, but circumstances which preclude him having any future role whatsoever, in anything, anywhere. Just disappear never to be heard of again. Please.

• Agree
Reactions: wheeler and flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Dementia Joe hasn’t had a good week either. What a shambles.
No - he hasn't. But it was the previous incumbent who set up the scenario.

WASHINGTON ― As the Taliban continue to consolidate their grip over Afghanistan and begin dealing with the international community, they can do so with endorsements and praise from an American president.

No, not current President Joe Biden but his predecessor, Donald Trump – the one who agreed to the “peace” deal so heavily skewed in favour of the terrorist group that it essentially assured its returned to power.

“We had a good long conversation today and, you know, they want to cease the violence. They’d like to cease violence also,” Trump said on March 3, 2020, just days after the agreement – which was made with the Taliban but not the US-allied Afghan government – was signed.

He told reporters he’d had a 35-minute phone call with the Taliban leader and had told him: “It is a pleasure to talk to you. You are a tough people and have a great country, and I understand that you are fighting for your homeland.”

Six months later, Trump said at a news conference: “They’re very tough, they’re very smart, they’re very sharp.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/trump-attacks-biden-for-afghanistan-chaos-after-giving-taliban-the-deal-that-ensured-it_uk_611f5377e4b0ff60bf7f1f68

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I'd like him to go without the opportunity to resign. Not going quite so far as to suggest he have a major heart attack, but circumstances which preclude him having any future role whatsoever, in anything, anywhere. Just disappear never to be heard of again. Please.
Being jailed for life for a parking offence should make it past Patel and co's scrutiny

• :D
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Also odd that there are three separate "donations":

Name of donor: Dmitry Leus
Address of donor: private
Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £10,000 to Esher and Walton Conservative Association for campaigning costs
Donor status: individual
(Registered 23 July 2021)

Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £9,000 to Esher and Walton Conservative Association for campaigning costs

Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £6,000 to Esher and Walton Conservative Association for campaigning costs

Leus made three payments within a fortnight? (At least, the register is updated every two weeks during sessions. And these were not in the previous register from 12th July but were added to the 26th July version.)

Which I find odd in itself.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
To more serious issues.
Who needs electric bikes.

Is this a joke..???
Love it either way.
Indeed, and this is not the only one, I've always thought hill assistance for cycles on commuter routes is a good way to go to get more cycling.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
You would have thought with growing evidence for positive aspects of vaccine anti vaxers would be changing their minds. All the ones I know are sticking to their guns.
This reminds me of people who voted for Brexit. JHC is one of the very few people who voted for it but now thinks it was a mistake. People hate being proved wrong no matter how bad things get for the UK over Brexit most people who voted for it will never admit it was a mistake.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
This reminds me of people who voted for Brexit. JHC is one of the very few people who voted for it but now thinks it was a mistake. People hate being proved wrong no matter how bad things get for the UK over Brexit most people who voted for it will never admit it was a mistake.
Even if I thought that we should have left the EU (either at the time of the referendum or at any time since), I don't think I'd ever have voted for the current mob.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and oldgroaner

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Even if I thought that we should have left the EU (either at the time of the referendum or at any time since), I don't think I'd ever have voted for the current mob.
I see the similarities but there is a subtle difference. With one our individual opinions are completely irrelevant until we have chance to change course, an alternative, which in reality we have never been offered by anyone since the referendum. Voting in Labour would not have changed Brexit.
On the other hand any anti vaxxer can simply book an appointment to get a jab... Anytime, no argument or discussion.
What's the point of changing your mind for an alternative never offered.
Besides, one opinion is subjective. Other isnt.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I see the similarities but there is a subtle difference. With one our individual opinions are completely irrelevant until we have chance to change course, an alternative, which in reality we have never been offered by anyone since the referendum. Voting in Labour would not have changed Brexit.
On the other hand any anti vaxxer can simply book an appointment to get a jab... Anytime, no argument or discussion.
What's the point of changing your mind for an alternative never offered.
Besides, one opinion is subjective. Other isnt.
Zlatan if the UK actually went for multiple seat constituencies and PR, you would have much weaker central Government..( eg less arrogance), but much more representative representation and they would be constantly listening to their clients.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Zlatan if the UK actually went for multiple seat constituencies and PR, you would have much weaker central Government..( eg less arrogance), but much more representative representation and they would be constantly listening to their clients.
There are difficulties to be addressed. Including how recall petitions, by-elections, etc. can be handled. Also, the current principle that an MP doesn't deal with constituents of other constituencies than their own.

Not saying moves in that direction wouldn't be a good thing, just hoping that we don't get a half-cocked version with loads of issues.

Advertisers