Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
????
You, ll have to clarify that OG.
I don't buy into much of the propoganda pushed by both sides.
Its not long since we were being told Johnson had lit his cigar with a five pound note infront of some homeless man. An allegation proved utter rubbish but the mud sticks. Johnson isn't a great politician by any stretch of imagination but neither is he the person many like to portray. Same as Gove.
Yep, I wouldn't want them as friends but I don't buy the BS either.
Labour. supporters always like to claim moral high ground and then think it fine to insult and abuse those they assume on a lower plain. We see it on here, we see it from Labour MPs. And all these folk failing to criticise comments such as those from Rayner are simply buying into the current Labour narrative... A methodology keeping them out of contention.
Who wants a labour deputy PM describing those she works with, those she meets every day as "scum. etc etc". I don't.
But by all means OG, carry on digging, defending the indefensible.
Once upon a time we would all have thought her comments appalling. Now, we are surprised when MPs then get stabbed.??? Its just part of our demise into anarchy.
I have been reading these exchanges over the last few days , and while I will not be commenting on individual UK persons, I think that Zlatans argument is the more reasonable. Calling all members of a political party by an offensive term is frankly hate speech. The only time one has licence to do so, is when they are a legally proscribed organisation.

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan and flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That entire lecture was a pleasure to read...
I don't know the man, but he seems no fool. He's missed out Whatsapp groups though: a rapidly proliferating and largely invisible delivery mechanism for fear soaked lying angry fever-dreams. And something I had no real awareness of until recently, because I don't use any form of social media - apart from this website, which I blame my ebike for, along with my dwindling fitness levels. Must go out for a slow jog...

It really did need a bit of "Feel-good" at the end, it was a lecture.

Last edited:

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
I have been reading these exchanges over the last few days , and while I will not be commenting on individual UK persons, I think that Zlatans argument is the more reasonable. Calling all members of a political party by an offensive term is frankly hate speech. The only time one has licence to do so, is when they are a legally proscribed organisation.
Hate speech is threatening speech against a particular group on the basis of prejudice based on race, religion or sexual orientation. It is not making a largely accurate observation about the misconduct of a specific (sexually culturally and religiously heterogenous) group of civil servants.
Aside from that zlatan has managed to conflate the murder of a tory mp by an Islamic fundamentalist (a few years after the murder of a labour mp by a brexit fundamentalist) into something labour is supposedly responsible for.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hate speech is threatening speech against a particular group on the basis of prejudice based on race, religion or sexual orientation. It is not making a largely accurate observation about the misconduct of a specific (sexually culturally and religiously heterogenous) group of civil servants.
Aside from that zlatan has managed to conflate the murder of a tory mp by an Islamic fundamentalist (a few years after the murder of a labour mp by a brexit fundamentalist) into something labour is supposedly responsible for.
Political parties are not civil servants ... Hate speech does not have to threaten.. And yes it is prejudice to castigate as undesirable any member of any group ,..without refering to their INDIVIDUAL behaviour.

Reactions: Zlatan

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Political parties are not civil servants ... Hate speech does not have to threaten.. And yes it is prejudice to castigate as undesirable any member of any group ,..without refering to their INDIVIDUAL behaviour.
As far as I know she was referring to opposition mp's. Not the tory party membership. And prejudice is unsubstantiated views based on bigotry assumption. I gather you have not been following the news about the number of MP receiving donations from dodgy donors? "Castigate as undesirable"? This isnt the Indian caste system. The word scum is a description for being corrupt.

Reactions: Woosh

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
No I did not Jonathon. I actually said I doubt there is a genuine link between the two events.
There doesn't have to be a direct link for thm to interact on people's minds. Rayner's comments have, since the murder, been prevalent on social media,prompting discussion about both events. Either way, link or no link, it's simply not an acceptable way to speak for any MP let alone a deputy leader. It's damaging to her, the party and gains nothing.
I suspect she now regrets the outburst but perhaps she enjoys the notorioty.
I, m sorry Jonathon, personly think her sentiments are utterly indefensible. If she feels that way about certain individuals she should take action accordingly and specifically.
In every walk of life there is a right way and a wrong one to lodge protest about people's behaviour. This was the wrong way.
I suspect her outburst was rather more calculated, a rallying call for those likely to agree with her thinking and behaviour. Fortunately that didn't work either.

Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
As far as I know she was referring to opposition mp's. Not the tory party membership. And prejudice is unsubstantiated views based on bigotry assumption. I gather you have not been following the news about the number of MP receiving donations from dodgy donors? "Castigate as undesirable"? This isnt the Indian caste system. The word scum is a description for being corrupt.
Next fall out with a colleague /boss/patient call them misogynistic, homophobic, banana Republic scum and see how long before you are sacked. I doubt you thinking it case will be much of a defence.???
And I can't find any dictionary definition linking scum with corruption.??

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Wrong.

For one simple reason: We have collective cabinet responsibility. If one is deemed suitable for castigation (due to decisions made in cabinet - not unrelated things), they all are. They are each and every one fully responsible even if individuals were not present - simply being a cabinet member is sufficient.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I think the lowest class of society implies those who indulge in corrupt behaviour. And the cover and conceal aspects fit corruption very well. As well as "dirt".

scum (n.)
early 14c. (implied in scummer "shallow ladle for removing scum"), from Middle Dutch schume "foam, froth," from Proto-Germanic *skuma- (source also of Old Norse skum, Old High German scum, German Schaum "foam, froth"), perhaps from PIE root *(s)keu- "to cover, conceal" on the notion of "that which covers the water."

Sense deteriorated from "thin layer atop liquid" to "film of dirt," then just "dirt." Meaning "lowest class of humanity" is 1580s; scum of the Earth is from 1712. Adopted in Romanic (Old French escume, Modern French écume, Spanish escuma, Italian schiuma).

Reminds me of the old quip about lawyers being the cream of society. Rich and thick.

• :D
Reactions: oldgroaner

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Next fall out with a colleague /boss/patient call them misogynistic, homophobic, banana Republic scum and see how long before you are sacked. I doubt you thinking it case will be much of a defence.???
My colleagues may be flawed, but they havent quite reached the level of taking bribes to defraud the practice. If they did, I would call them scum (amongst other rhings). In public, to their faces.
Have you considered changing your nic to "conflate the desperate conflator"?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It's a ridiculous world when an MP has become an endangered job.
My daughter joined Fire Service 12 years ago, you accept she is going to be put in dangerous situations. It comes with the job, as it does with a policeman and other walks of life... But an MP??? What on earth is going on?
The insanity of voting conservative perchance? allowing the country to be run by a disorganised crime syndicate, people who stir up dissent, between UK voters, to promote paymasters agendas and wage wars that are none of our business to please the USA and Saudis, take bribes and are beholding to Russia and Israel, while selling arms to regimes with hellish human rights records,
And why the voters do so? because they are personally afraid of being required to contribute more to support the less fortunate here and abroad?

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
No I did not Jonathon. I actually said I doubt there is a genuine link between the two events.
There doesn't have to be a direct link for thm to interact on people's minds. Rayner's comments have, since the murder, been prevalent on social media,prompting discussion about both events. Either way, link or no link, it's simply not an acceptable way to speak for any MP let alone a deputy leader. It's damaging to her, the party and gains nothing.
I suspect she now regrets the outburst but perhaps she enjoys the notorioty.
I, m sorry Jonathon, personly think her sentiments are utterly indefensible. If she feels that way about certain individuals she should take action accordingly and specifically.
In every walk of life there is a right way and a wrong one to lodge protest about people's behaviour. This was the wrong way.
I suspect her outburst was rather more calculated, a rallying call for those likely to agree with her thinking and behaviour. Fortunately that didn't work either.

Can I purchase some Schrödinger's chain from you?

First there is a link. Then there isn't.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The insanity of voting conservative perchance? allowing the country to be run by a disorganised crime syndicate, people who stir up dissent, between UK voters, to promote paymasters agendas and wage wars that are none of our business to please the USA and Saudis, take bribes and are beholding to Russia and Israel, while selling arms to regimes with hellish human rights records,
And why the voters do so? because they are personally afraid of being required to contribute more to support the less fortunate here and abroad?
Tory brains are different:

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Tory brains are different:

Do they actually have any structure to their brains?

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Mountbatten after been torpedoed during war, came to surface along side an ordinary seaman..
"funny how scum always rises to top*... Was seaman's retort...
Rayner must have been brought up on a different street to me. Misogynistic, homophobic????

Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Jonathon..
Agreed, we can always justify the bad behaviour of those we support but see fault those we oppose. It's human nature.
Think we ought to rise above our base instincts and see faults and merits on all sides... Not doing is prejudiced.
Nobody is suggesting all Tories are perfect but like wise they aren't all scum either.

This really benefits the Labour cause??? I often think some Tory donor pays Labour to shoot itself in feet so often.

Last edited:

Advertisers