Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc.. I am simply appalled at the treatment you are receiving. Especially someone of your advanced years. Contrast that with the treatment I have got.
I'm sure it's not typical of elsewhere in England. London's NHS was broken many years ago and remains so. The biggest problem is a permanent shortage of staff at all medical levels, simply because nobody wants to work in London, thanks to the difficult conditions, high cost of living and crazy housing costs.

London didn't need Covid to overload its NHS, it's been run off its feet for decades.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Get all the apologies and things that are supposed to resemble apologies out of the way at once. Just as Liverpool terror incident grabs a few headlines.

BEIS Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng apologizes to the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards for his media comments about her, and says he 'should have chosen ... words more carefully' as he 'did not mean to express doubt about your ability to discharge your role'.

Adding: Looks like it might have been intended to disappear by being made available just as Johnson's idiocy was displayed yet again (a presser).

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
That is the consensus, I agree. But I wonder - used to have an ice that used approximately 15l/100 mile in mixed city/freeway driving and I did a (prepandemic) 11000miles/year. That was 1650l of diesel/year, which seem a terrible amount of carbon
Since I am getting 1100 Km for 56 litres , that does seem like a very heavy foot.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Get all the apologies and things that are supposed to resemble apologies out of the way at once. Just as Liverpool terror incident grabs a few headlines.

BEIS Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng apologizes to the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards for his media comments about her, and says he 'should have chosen ... words more carefully' as he 'did not mean to express doubt about your ability to discharge your role'.

Adding: Looks like it might have been intended to disappear by being made available just as Johnson's idiocy was displayed yet again (a presser).
Thinking a little, why has he had to refer himself to Lord Geidt? Because Johnson didn't, wouldn't.

Getting a distinct feeling someone has been explaining the best, probably only, route out the mess might be issuing so-called apologies.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018

Kwarteng's apology feels so grubby to me, written version of crocodile tears, "sorry we failed to get away with it". Happilly it helped to shove it all back in the spotlight.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Peugeot 3008 sv diesel. And 10 years old. , But in fairness, a lot is motorway , under light traffic ,and town driving is not like city driving.
However my foot is not that light at all ... Its more like 50 miles to the gallon. A Km is 5/8 of a mile and there are 4.6 litres to the gallon. So my 1100 km is about 12 miles per litre.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Peugeot 3008 sv diesel. And 10 years old. , But in fairness, a lot is motorway , under light traffic ,and town driving is not like city driving.
Realise I'm preaching to the converted, but one of the (banal, childish, but nonetheless) joys of an ev is having a lead foot in a powerful large vehicle without any guilt or financial damage. 100k miles over say ten years equal circa £14k in an ice in fuel for most (plus capital cost of say £10k) - around 27k overall with servicing etc. Buy something like an id3 for example and the fuel is practically free for the same overall cost (27k), all in a quite lovely package with the performance parameters of a vintage 911 and uncarefullness (which has become a rare thing)

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Realise I'm preaching to the converted, but one of the (banal, childish, but nonetheless) joys of an ev is having a lead foot in a powerful large vehicle without any guilt or financial damage. 100k miles over say ten years equal circa £14k in an ice in fuel for most (plus capital cost of say £10k) - around 27k overall with servicing etc. Buy something like an id3 for example and the fuel is practically free for the same overall cost (27k), all in a quite lovely package with the performance parameters of a vintage 911 and uncarefullness (which has become a rare thing)
Depending quite how lead-footed you mean, there is plenty of opportunity for guilt!

Tyre and brake wear cost more and imply much greater environmental impact than often considered. Despite regen.

• Disagree

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Depending quite how lead-footed you mean, there is plenty of opportunity for guilt!

Tyre and brake wear cost more and imply much greater environmental impact than often considered. Despite regen.
Yes, more so if each of the 8 billion of us want one to do it with. Our first world lifestyle is unsustainable, but what does one do if one has to commute into a big city daily during a pandemic and public transport is guaranteed to result in a shot of delta..

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
How can it manage that bad a fuel consumption? My 1400 petrol engined car - which is full size - manages 46 mpg even on E10 fuel.
It has a 49cc two stroke DKW engine, grossly overworked and always flat out.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

I disagreed for three reasons.

Regenerative braking is far smoother and more gently progressive than manual braking.

Acceleration through an EV's single gear is constantly progressive so far smoother than the multiple power on/off applications via 5 gears manual or up to 8 gears automatic.

How much one can apply an EV's superior torque acceleration is controlled by the other 40 million drivers. Any car's 0 - 62mph time is that of the slowest vehicle in front.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I see Johnson has been forced into a corner:

I have written to the Commons Speaker to propose: 1) The Code of Conduct for MPs is updated 2) MPs who are prioritising outside interests over their constituents are investigated and appropriately punished 3) MPs are banned from acting as paid political consultants or lobbyists

Have to say, I don't want "appropriately punished", I want it not to happen.

Advertisers