Brexit, for once some facts.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
I don’t like the look of what’s happening on the Polish border. It looks like an impossible situation to resolve satisfactorily. Big trouble ahead, especially if it’s true that the migrants are being armed by the authorities.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
What’s with Sharmer crying at the FLOP26 get-together in Glasgow? What a disgrace. What a puffta! He’s a big girls blouse and a massive twat.

China is only a big polluter because we’ve killed off all of our own manufacturing industry in order to reduce emissions. That’s made it too expensive to make stuff here, so we have all our $hite made in China, where they don’t give a **** about the climate, and then ship it back. We then play with our new Chinese stuff for a couple of weeks and then send it to where it belongs, landfill.

If you want to save the planet, stop buying crap from China. I think I’m the new Grettle Thumberg!
In order to stop buying things from China, and not just geegaws, we need them to be made elsewhere.

Which will add the emissions of the countries which host the factories. And, very likely, just divert a bit of emissions from China to somewhere else.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
This Conservative politicising Memorial Day was too tempting, so I corrected the record
View attachment 44736
My father joined up before WW2, I think 1937. He could see what was happening and spent the rest of his life in the RAF.

But I find it impossible to attend any remembrance events at all. He died in peacetime, when I was very young, and, somehow, despite him being a serving office, with quite some record, I could never feel the official recognition applied to him. Services which were compulsory at school just made me feel very angry and unhappy - all at once.

I hate this time of year.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
In order to stop buying things from China, and not just geegaws, we need them to be made elsewhere.

Which will add the emissions of the countries which host the factories. And, very likely, just divert a bit of emissions from China to somewhere else.
Complex issue - creating a car generate circa 17 ton co2, apparently. Or 3 years of a domestic house's energy use co2. Or half an ice car's lifetime emissions (depending on annual mileage). But China aside, biggest source of - domestic - co2 emmision is cars and domestic burning. So if all of us who need to drive buy ev's it would help

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My father joined up before WW2, I think 1937. He could see what was happening and spent the rest of his life in the RAF.

But I find it impossible to attend any remembrance events at all. He died in peacetime, when I was very young, and, somehow, despite him being a serving office, with quite some record, I could never feel the official recognition applied to him. Services which were compulsory at school just made me feel very angry and unhappy - all at once.

I share that hate, albeit for different reasons. I see the services, especially the one at the Cenotaph, as being both celebrations of war and condonement of killing so many for spurious reasons. Excuses enabling them to go to war again.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018

The old lie, dulce et decorum pro patria mori, as wilfred owen would say. And what a terrible abusive multigenerational lie that is.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Complex issue - creating a car generate circa 17 ton co2, apparently. Or 3 years of a domestic house's energy use co2. Or half an ice car's lifetime emissions (depending on annual mileage). But China aside, biggest source of - domestic - co2 emmision is cars and domestic burning. So if all of us who need to drive buy ev's it would help
Agreed, especially if we use heat pumps in our buildings as well as our EVs.

But one of the biggest menaces to the environment has been the creation of the World Wide Web. In not much over 20 years it's created rampant world wide consumerism, fleets of immense container vessels, courier companies like DFL flying cargo all over the world and monstrosities like Amazon.

The ease of a few clicks has led to a situation long out of our control.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Agreed, especially if we use heat pumps in our buildings as well as our EVs.

But one of the biggest menaces to the environment has been the creation of the World Wide Web. In not much over 20 years it's created rampant world wide consumerism, fleets of immense container vessels, courier companies like DFL flying cargo all over the world and monstrosities like Amazon.

The ease of a few clicks has led to a situation long out of our control.
Yes, but since no ones going to be able to wean consumers off that ginormous tit (or defeat the bezo's of the world), per capta carbon emission might hint at a way ahead? France's circa 5.5 ton/person; Canada 18.5 ton/person; Angola 2 ton/person. If were not going to return to pre industrial ways of living (much of africa), I wonder if a french style society with renewables (I know, nuclear); ev's; more environmental infrastructure might work?

Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wonder if a french style society with renewables (I know, nuclear); ev's; more environmental infrastructure might work?
Agreed again, I'm strongly in favour of nuclear generation of energy, the French got that exactly right. But we need to steal everyone's best ideas. Germany's huge scale of solar pv enabling whole villages to go off grid. Denmark's clean burn waste-to-power stations but with carbon capture added. And in addition to the wind power we've exploited so well, we need to make use of our natural immense tidal resources.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Well not exactly so.. better to keep the gas guzzler on which the 17 tonnes has already been committed, and spent and increase its lifetime by maintenance and judicial use.

• Agree
Reactions: wheeler

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Agreed again, I'm strongly in favour of nuclear generation of energy, the French got that exactly right. But we need to steal everyone's best ideas. Germany's huge scale of solar pv enabling whole villages to go off grid. Denmark's clean burn waste-to-power stations but with carbon capture added. And in addition to the wind power we've exploited so well, we need to make use of our natural immense tidal resources.
.. and even in tidal resources, the French got there first . The Rance in Brittany is a brilliant system integrating a road over a causeway and a massive tidal hydro power system. One can drive on the road not knowing what lies beneath..

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020

The trouble with making things elsewhere is that’s it’s more expensive than China. Energy is cheap in China and they aren’t handicapped with environmental concerns. Chinese products should attract a carbon tax to help neutralise their competitive advantage derived from having FA concern for the planet.

Reactions: oldgroaner

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The trouble with making things elsewhere is that’s it’s more expensive than China. Energy is cheap in China and they aren’t handicapped with environmental concerns. Chinese products should attract a carbon tax to help neutralise their competitive advantage derived from having FA concern for the planet.
Except the Chinese have more concern for the planet than us Westerners. Their per capita emissions are lower than ours, their consumerism is not just as rampant , and remember they outnumber us in the west. Now it is Chinese engineering which has caused the price performance of Solar PV to plummet

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Liverpool Women's Hospital today. Press reporting possible terrorist attack one dead,one injured or is a battery fire.
Has developed recently:

Three people have been arrested by counter-terror police following a fatal car explosion outside a Liverpool hospital.

The men are aged 29, 26, and 21 according to police and were detained in the Kensington area of Liverpool before being arrested under the Terrorism Act, in connection with the explosion.

"Detectives from Counter Terrorism Police North West continue to keep an open mind about the cause of the explosion and are working closely with colleagues at Merseyside Police as the investigation continues at pace," the police statement added.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Well not exactly so.. better to keep the gas guzzler on which the 17 tonnes has already been committed, and spent and increase its lifetime by maintenance and judicial use.
That is the consensus, I agree. But I wonder - used to have an ice that used approximately 15l/100 mile in mixed city/freeway driving and I did a (prepandemic) 11000miles/year. That was 1650l of diesel/year, which seem a terrible amount of carbon

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Utterly perthetic. A stirling effort by the idjit.
Was that before or after:
Boris Johnson admits: I could have handled Owen Paterson affair better

PM accepts blame for Tory sleaze row, suggesting he had made an ‘unforced error' in botched attempt to reform standards system in Parliament

Advertisers