Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It would appear to be pretty impressive. I'm wondering what we'll see when they launch the M-based Mac Pro?

I have a bottom spec. M1 mini - even then, it was a refurb! And it is pretty good.

My much slower PC is noisier, hotter, bigger, predictably uses more electricity, and has little room for expansion (it is towards the SFF end of things).

I have never yet heard the fan run on either the MBP or the mini. (Which also reduces the amount of dirt that will be drawn in.) Both run barely noticeably warm. And both have fast USB-C/Thunderbolt ports which are far better than the PC.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
I'm surprised that you couldn't find a suitable graphics card upgrade: ebay? Unless you already had the highest spec possible for the time, there's always a better graphics card out there somewhere.

Although I celebrate happy new purchases... wait till Apple starts filling up your new Mac with new OSs in the coming years, or otherwise progressively make it slow and redudant to force expensive repeat business, as they do for iphones.
Graphics cards are coming down in price again (crypto crashing and all of that). My son bought a 3090 for over it's oem price recently, but not much. Speaking of which, and to be utterly bourgeoisie, I cannot imagine that the status quo doesn't mean a serious correction in property prices soon

Reactions: guerney

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Zelenskiy said yesterday on TV that the damage to Ukrainian properties and infrastructure would cost in excess of $400 billions and he would like Russia to pay for it.
What do you think?

• :D
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Now we are hearing the concessions from Ukraine's President Zelenskyy, it's showing how right I was when I argued against all your opposition that this war could have been prevented from happening just four weeks ago.

Zelenskyy has now, far too late, conceded that Ukraine will never join NATO and has also spoken about being neutral. Russia's foreign minister Sergey Lavrov, fresh from the talks, mentioned Russia perhaps keeping Crimea and Donbass, so clearly that has been discussed.

These are the things I listed long ago that can stop this war, and as I also said long ago could have prevented it, avoiding all the deaths, injuries, destruction and refugees with no loss to Ukraine.

Russia does not want to possess Ukraine. And the daft idea that Putin wants to recreate the USSR that some of you have argued simply isn't true. In fact as I've explained before, Putin has proved this when he crushed Georgia in 2008 but then declared a cease fire and withdrew, returning them to self rule, only keeping the two Russian population enclaves on Russia's border.

Once the dust had settled on the collapse of the USSR, Russia realised that it was not all loss since that had separated its enemy NATO from its borders. Ever since then they've made their policy clear repeatedly that they want to maintain that, so they fight the American attempts to continue to expand NATO to its borders again.

The non NATO countries between them and the NATO countries are their protective buffers and they are very reasonably insistent that must not change. The map below and the notes that follow explain this:

Russia NATO border defence.jpg

The All Blue countries are EU and NATO members, the Blue outline ones are EU only. The red line is the NATO border on Russia's side. You can see from this the six non-NATO buffer countries separating Russia from NATO; Finland, Sweden, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova and Georgia.

It means the only direct contact with NATO that Russia has is the tiny border with Norway and the short stretch of Estonia (EE) and Latvia (LV). Since Russia has good relations with those six, especially Finland, this arrangement in Europe was keeping the peace well until the USA butted in, trying to recruit Ukraine and Georgia into NATO, using the attraction of EU membership as a trojan horse.

That explains to you why I am so angry with the USA and why I say there will never be peace in Europe until we in Europe detach ourselves from the USA's foreign policies.

Even at this moment the US Congress might sabotage the peace talks by their pushing Biden to expand the conflict by getting more involved.

If Ukraine are sensible, once this war is over they will be able to return to independence, but how intact depends on how sensible they are. If they make it clear they will never be a threat to Russia, by proclaiming neutrality, and concede Crimea (which is no use to them anyway), they will be able to retain their Black Sea coastline and vital port of Odessa. If they are very sensible and good neighbourly, they'll even be able to use their other important port of Mariupol, once that city is rebuilt.

It's in Ukraine's hands and always has been.

Last edited:
Reactions: POLLY

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think the cards are in the air at the moment but Russia will be crippled with this war.
At the end of the day, Russia is no match for the US and NATO.
Putin has been foolish to send his troops too deep into Ukraine, the vast terrain now reduces their maneuverability. How can he re-supply them now that key bridges are blown up?

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Zelenskiy said yesterday on TV that the damage to Ukrainian properties and infrastructure would cost in excess of $400 billions and he would like Russia to pay for it.
What do you think?
The world will rebuild Ukraine, Russia has written itself into the same political, cultural, economic oblivion as North Korea (that's not something that can be rebuilt)

• Disagree
Reactions: flecc and POLLY

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think the cards are in the air at the moment but Russia will be crippled with this war.
At the end of the day, Russia is no match for the US and NATO.
Putin has been foolish to send his troops too deep into Ukraine, the vast terrain now reduces their maneuverability. How can he re-supply them now that key bridges are blown up?
Which is partly why the war will end shortly. Russia just needs to get the right concessions for that to happen. They already have Ukraine not joining NATO, which effectively means neutrality. Either being conceded Crimea or Donbass might be enough now.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I did run a number of caravans for a decade.... But getting ahead of ourselves here. If one is using a cigarette lighter connected invertor , one is llimited to 120 watts .. just enough for a TV . Anything larger and that includes the 1 Kw jobs needs cross battery clips . Now it would be foolish to even run them for anywhile without the motor running, car batteries have very little endurance. If I were serious about the business, I also would be running a 2 or 3 Kw inverter, and very conscious that the efficiency loss would probably around 100 watts. ..To get anywhere above 90% peak power efficiency is unusual
Agreed. My motor home 12v power sockets are 15a (cig lighter plugs don't fit) I run a
12v (200w) heater rigged as a wetsuit dryer... The cig lighter sockets wouldn't cope. (there is normally an online 10a fuse in plugs)

On the fridge thing, modern fridges (yes, I fitted modern ones) do in theory run and start up on lower currents and do have circuitry to do so.However,thats under normal usage and it can easily be sidetracked. Open door to your fridge whilst running, turn fridge thermostat up (or down?) to switch pump off, then turn it back other way. (it's what most folk do)
The pump must now start under load... Doesn't actually matter one way or another but to check just look at plug on your fridge. If it always operated to spec (as claimed by 2 or 3 on here) a 3a fuse would be fine. I, ll have a bet any domestic /kitchen fridge is fitted with a 13a fuse for reasons I, ve just explained.. Including that LEC 5517... See what handbook says about retro fitting a 3a fuse. Bet it says don't.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The world will rebuild Ukraine, Russia has written itself into the same political, cultural, economic oblivion as North Korea (that's not something that can be rebuilt)
No, the world has to have Russia's resources, that is unavoidable and the world will be back for them before very long.

Already there is an impending disaster in Ukraine since they haven't been able to sow seed. That is already very late and shortly will be too late with no harvest resulting in a vital part of the world's bread basket, so many in the world will have to starve next year.

Information link

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
No, the world has to have Russia's resources, that is unavoidable and the world will be back for them before very long.

Already there is an impending disaster in Ukraine since they haven't been able to sow seed. That is already very late and shortly will be too late with no harvest resulting in a vital part of the world's bread basket, so many in the world will have to starve next year.

Information link
Russia is metaphorically a fascist state that failed at blitzkrieg. Failed to conquer Poland. I get that you're desperate to cast a modest veil over that. For the world to become an abusive place of blackmail and extortion. For your own inscrutable reasons. Which, I'm afraid, cannot include any definition of pacifism that holds in this parralel world (but, you may be able to transit to the next one). Unfortunately the world, like others on this thread won't be able to unsee the fascist threat Russia present

Reactions: Zlatan

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Which is partly why the war will end shortly. Russia just needs to get the right concessions for that to happen. They already have Ukraine not joining NATO, which effectively means neutrality. Either being conceded Crimea or Donbass might be enough now.
too late for that now. The war does not go very well for Mr Putin.
It's just a matter of time before the Ukrainians start pushing them back.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Russia is metaphorically a fascist state that failed at blitzkrieg. Failed to conquer Poland. I get that you're desperate to cast a modest veil over that. For the world to become an abusive place of blackmail and extortion. For your own inscrutable reasons. Which, I'm afraid, cannot include any definition of pacifism that holds in this parralel world (but, you may be able to transit to the next one). Unfortunately the world, like others on this thread won't be able to unsee the fascist threat Russia present
Such a predictable rant and so unrealistic. What has that rant to do with my post about a real problem?

I'm not trying to cast a veil over anything, just seeing the world as it really is, now and in the immediate future.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Such a predictable rant and so unrealistic. What has that rant to do with my post about a real problem?

I'm not trying to cast a veil over anything, just seeing the world as it really is, now and in the immediate future.
Like much of the free world, I'm happy to pay much more for everything than to be subjected to blackmail by a fascist state. The EU is stopping its reliance on anything from Russia. It makes for more spending on renewable, also defense. Frankly, your question was so spurious it didn't warrant an answer.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
too late for that now. The war does not go very well for Mr Putin.
It's just a matter of time before the Ukrainians start pushing them back.
If this war doesn't end imminently, there will be no Ukrainian harvest and the loss of all their grain export to the world each year.

Add to that Russia unable to export all the grain it usually supplies to the world.

Something will have to give and some odd things may result. For example Russia unable to sell its surplus and using it to feed the failed harvest Ukrainians, an ignominious post script for Ukraine.

And/or the outside world forced to buy Russian wheat to prevent millions starving to death.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016

I think you are a bit flecc. World has woken up, hopefully in time, to see not Russia but Putin's Regime for what it is. We should have realised years ago but didn't. The sanctions, the removal of Oligarchs, the financial hit, the closing of new pipe line, the massive change in defence spending etc etc should have happened over Salisbury, over Crimea, over the poisonings..
Putin is at negotiating table because he can't beat Ukraine. We owe them a massive debt of thanks. His regime has been shown to be disorganised, corrupt and inefficient. Good job they wasted so much money on yachts, football clubs and expensive young wives. Could have gone on new tyres for their war machines.
How you can condone a country being run by a gangster does surprise me a bit flecc.
Russia is akin to USA but with Al Capone as president and Mafia running CIA.. Its a disgrace in 2022. Yes, we know our governments are far from perfect but Putin, give up flecc. He's a criminal and should be prosecuted and made to stand trial at Hague and not for his actions in Ukraine but for those against his own country.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: POLLY and Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Like much of the free world, I'm happy to pay much more for everything than to be subjected to blackmail by a fascist state. The EU is stopping its reliance on anything from Russia. It makes for more spending on renewable, also defense. Frankly, your question was so spurious it didn't warrant an answer.
It's not a matter of payment, money can't buy food that does not exist. Oil is not a problem, the world has plenty of that.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
How you can condone a country being run by a gangster does surprise me a bit flecc.
I am not in any way condoning Putin or Russia, they have no excuses for what has happened. Explaining why things happen does not condone them, it just shows how events come about, which could help avoid a repeat.

Putin, give up flecc. He's a criminal and should be prosecuted and made to stand trial at Hague.
Indeed, and I'd like to see that happen. But we both know it won't. It never does for the leaders of large countries and only very rarely for leaders of even small ones.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If this war doesn't end imminently, there will be no Ukrainian harvest and the loss of all their grain export to the world each year.

Add to that Russia unable to export all the grain it usually supplies to the world.

Something will have to give and some odd things may result. For example Russia unable to sell its surplus and using it to feed the failed harvest Ukrainians, an ignominious post script for Ukraine.

And/or the outside world forced to buy Russian wheat to prevent millions starving to death.
I am pretty sure that export from Russia will resume soon.
What is less sure is the outcome of the war.
Russia can demolish Ukrainian cities but someone has to pay for reconstruction.
That someone is most likely Russia in the long term, not the West.
The priority of the West is to supply its modern weapons and money to Ukrainians.
You can look at the movement of the FTSE in the last two weeks to see how well (or not) the war has gone for Mr Putin.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
It's not a matter of payment, money can't buy food that does not exist. Oil is not a problem, the world has plenty of that.
We can't give in or go back. World must cope without Russian oil and food, or show that we can. For sake of people he has in his grip. Watched a demo other night, an 80 your old lady held up "no war sign*. Policeman bashed her over head with a batton. 12 year old lad in hospital with concussion from a police beating. Its got to be stopped flecc, somehow.
It's a society hrld in grip of a criminal with judges, police, courts, military and nuclear arms at his disposal. How as it happened.?

Advertisers