Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Anyone would be better than Camelot who have completely wrecked the National Lottery, turning it into a giant fiddle defrauding the people. They aren't alone in this of course, the government being their partner in the crime.
The new lot apparently changing cost from £2 to £1 to reduce barrier to purchase further still.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My experience of AVG (owned by Avast) is much the same as most other products. They are pigs to remove should you want to. And they can slug performance. And they tend to do things like plague you with pop-ups.
That's my experience with AVG too, threw it out years ago.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The new lot apparently changing cost from £2 to £1 to reduce barrier to purchase further still.
I'll wait to see what their prize policy is and whether it is still being controlled by the government. I'm betting it will be with defrauding the public continuing.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My experience of AVG (owned by Avast) is much the same as most other products. They are pigs to remove should you want to. And they can slug performance. And they tend to do things like plague you with pop-ups.

Afraid I just let the built-in Defender do its stuff. You might be surprised how many machines are actually relying on that simply because a) no-one ever installed an AV product; b) the AV product has stopped working and Defender has stepped into the void.

But I mostly use MacOS these days...
I always disable Microsoft "Defender". I certainly don't trust Microsoft to keep my computer free from viruses, given that it provides the world's biggest viruses masquerading as (increasingly/intermittently incompetent) operating systems - between defender and the OS, Microsoft get the best of both worlds in the data slurpingstakes: detailed telemetry about what you use your computer for and absolutely every detail about what software you run on it, all in one swoop, with no need to aggregate and data mine like advertisers do.

When Macs were a tiny proportion of the market, both they and Linux (desktops) were not major targets for miscreants, now they are. In any case, I can't bring myself to buy computers without total upgradability - with the M1s, one is reducing scope of the future: RAM is set. I still regularly use computers 15 years old and older for some things, depite building brand new ones for heavy tasks. That being said, I'm curious about Macs to tinker with for music creation (Logic, ProTools), but it won't be an M1x, if ever I actually buy a Mac.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
GOOD NEWS!!!

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe and Anoosheh Ashoori on way to airport to leave Iran after release, lawyer says – live

Now we can watch Johnson et al. claiming credit for achieving this. And shout liar and other suitable words at our radios, TVs and computer screens. Or just randomly, Tourette's-style, as we go about our business.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: POLLY and guerney

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016

Somebody asked which trials bike I, d hired. One of these, a 2022 version... Almost identical tho. About 10kg heavier than my last trials bike (Gasgas txt) but suspect I, d already be better on ebike.. Its strange, crazy amount of power but in soft setting it just never lost traction.. Anywhere?? (and its anything but soft, lad renting them out called it soft)
I, d confirm reviewers only down side... I really missed engine braking.. Perhaps not so much going down hill, the obvious one, where you simply used brakes a bit, I missed engine after completing a climb, seems natural way I ride to over do climb a bit but then shut off at summit, engine brings you back into control. Once or twice I did that and overshot summit, you shut off when there and it just keeps going.. But that's only more practice needed.
I do suspect after talking to much better riders than me that they will be looking into building "engine braking" into the bikes. When it's not there its surprising how much you use it. I, m sure it could be incorporated...

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
GOOD NEWS!!!

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe and Anoosheh Ashoori on way to airport to leave Iran after release, lawyer says – live

Now we can watch Johnson et al. claiming credit for achieving this. And shout liar and other suitable words at our radios, TVs and compter screens. Or just randomly, Tourette's-style, as we go about our business.
It was Johnson's ill judged words some while ago which threatened to prolongue Nazanin's detention.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I always disable Microsoft "Defender". I certainly don't trust Microsoft to keep my computer free from viruses, given that it provides the world's biggest viruses masquerading as (increasingly/intermittently incompetent) operating systems - between defender and the OS, Microsoft get the best of both worlds in the data slurpingstakes: detailed telemetry about what you use your computer for and absolutely every detail about what software you run on it, all in one swoop, with no need to aggregate and data mine like advertisers do.

When Macs were a tiny proportion of the market, both they and Linux (desktops) were not major targets for miscreants, now they are. In any case, I can't bring myself to buy computers without total upgradability - with the M1s, one is reducing scope of the future: RAM is set. I still regularly use computers 15 years old and older for some things, depite building brand new ones for heavy tasks. That being said, I'm curious about Macs to tinker with for music creation (Logic, ProTools), but it won't be an M1x, if ever I actually buy a Mac.
I'm not convinced Microsoft find out anything extra by allowing Defender to run.

We have always had limits on upgradability. Number of slots for RAM and spec. it will take. (I have been in the position of seemingly having the option to increase RAM but no suitable DIMMs being available for purchase.) Socket design for processor. Etc.

If there were one or two processor slots and we could switch Intel to AMD, or whatever, I'd be far more likely to agree.

I was considering upgrading my desktop PC, but realised that the graphics card options just do not exist. There is nothing that is both compatible and significantly higher spec.

My M1 MacBook Pro has sufficient memory, processor speed, and storage for everything I'd ever choose to do on a laptop. Runs nice and cool. Decent battery life. Nice screen. It is close to the point at which any increase in performance would make little to no difference - instant is fast enough. (That's how it feels - even if a stopwatch would reveal otherwise.)

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

Somebody asked which trials bike I, d hired. One of these, a 2022 version... Almost identical tho. About 10kg heavier than my last trials bike (Gasgas txt) but suspect I, d already be better on ebike.. Its strange, crazy amount of power but in soft setting it just never lost traction.. Anywhere?? (and its anything but soft, lad renting them out called it soft)
I, d confirm reviewers only down side... I really missed engine braking.. Perhaps not so much going down hill, the obvious one, where you simply used brakes a bit, I missed engine after completing a climb, seems natural way I ride to over do climb a bit but then shut off at summit, engine brings you back into control. Once or twice I did that and overshot summit, you shut off when there and it just keeps going.. But that's only more practice needed.
Impressive. Where I used to live, we'd hear motor bikes being used a few times a year - never did find out where! But the reduction in noise will be most welcome to those in the area.

There was also some closed biking facility near the motorway. Amazingly, at times you could smell the place from inside a car driving up the motorway. And a pall of exhaust was often visible.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm not convinced Microsoft find out anything extra by allowing Defender to run.

We have always had limits on upgradability. Number of slots for RAM and spec. it will take. (I have been in the position of seemingly having the option to increase RAM but no suitable DIMMs being available for purchase.) Socket design for processor. Etc.

If there were one or two processor slots and we could switch Intel to AMD, or whatever, I'd be far more likely to agree.

I was considering upgrading my desktop PC, but realised that the graphics card options just do not exist. There is nothing that is both compatible and significantly higher spec.

My M1 MacBook Pro has sufficient memory, processor speed, and storage for everything I'd ever choose to do on a laptop. Runs nice and cool. Decent battery life. Nice screen. It is close to the point at which any increase in performance would make little to no difference - instant is fast enough. (That's how it feels - even if a stopwatch would reveal otherwise.)
I'm surprised that you couldn't find a suitable graphics card upgrade: ebay? Unless you already had the highest spec possible for the time, there's always a better graphics card out there somewhere.

Although I celebrate happy new purchases... wait till Apple starts filling up your new Mac with new OSs in the coming years, or otherwise progressively make it slow and redudant to force expensive repeat business, as they do for iphones.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I'm surprised that you couldn't find a suitable graphics card upgrade: ebay? Unless you already had the highest spec possible for the time, there's always a better graphics card out there somewhere.

Although I celebrate happy new purchases... wait till Apple starts filling up your new Mac with new OSs in the coming years, or otherwise progressively make it slow and redudant to force expensive repeat business, as they do for iphones.
It wasn't a matter of locating a specific card, but the limitations of the machine/mobo. I might have been able to get a slightly faster setup, but not enough to warrant cost and effort.

Partner has just updated Monterey on her old MacBook Pro (I think it is from 2015). Still works fine.

The phones issue has been argued at length. I'd certainly rather they implemented their controlled degradation than sudden failure. But they should have made it clear and explained to all.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Server tech makes for more future-proof PCs (apart from real-time graphics). Supermicro make/made some amazing boards - a couple of years ago, Hans Zimmer's music PC had 384TB of RAM, probably increased since. It was a sad day when my dual socket PIII 866 Supermicro motherboard died... for the time, that setup never skipped a beat no matter what I threw at it.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Impressive. Where I used to live, we'd hear motor bikes being used a few times a year - never did find out where! But the reduction in noise will be most welcome to those in the area.

There was also some closed biking facility near the motorway. Amazingly, at times you could smell the place from inside a car driving up the motorway. And a pall of exhaust was often visible.
Yep, can be unpleasant, but think I, ll miss the smell, noise and clatter of bike engines at a meeting. I know it's not PC anymore but the old smell of castrol R, the blue haze and breakdowns are all part of the spectacle. It's a bit sterile and unemotional with ebikes. Different. Another kind of experience really.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yep, can be unpleasant, but think I, ll miss the smell, noise and clatter of bike engines at a meeting. I know it's not PC anymore but the old smell of castrol R, the blue haze and breakdowns are all part of the spectacle. It's a bit sterile and unemotional with ebikes. Different. Another kind of experience really.
Yep, I think e-power could kill motor racing eventually. About as exciting as watching an airliner passing at 4000 ft in a stack waiting to land.

Reactions: Zlatan

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It wasn't a matter of locating a specific card, but the limitations of the machine/mobo. I might have been able to get a slightly faster setup, but not enough to warrant cost and effort.

Partner has just updated Monterey on her old MacBook Pro (I think it is from 2015). Still works fine.

The phones issue has been argued at length. I'd certainly rather they implemented their controlled degradation than sudden failure. But they should have made it clear and explained to all.
I'm an irrational Apple hater, but I'm restraining myself from launcing into a tirade, because you're obviously happy with your new Mac -Steve Jobs ruined the internet.

I'd offer to search for upgrades if you PM me details of your motherboard etc. but you're right, it's probably not worth the money and effort, and you're best off giving it to a charity. Old machines are still useful for education somewhere, just not for whizzbang multimedia.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That's just the job for managing stairs at railway stations! Wish my Bafang bbs01b could do that.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It depends what they mean by 90w. That could easily be average current drawn over a 24 hr period with door closed etc etc. Important numbers are current draw whilst running (ie actually working) and the current draw whilst starting up. (which depending on type of fridge, pump etc can be upto 6x continuous draw)
But,as I, ve said to Danidl, go ahead buy a 1000w inverter to run your fridge. We scrapped plenty of inverters years ago going through this procedure. If you want to run domestic fridge on an inverter get a 3kw one, or if you like buy 3 or more 1000w ones which should do job but won't last a month. Been there, got the tee shirt.
I, ve only had 35 plus years fitting boats out.
Danidl and yourself might have all the theory but when you are really dependent on something working you fit what you know works. I know 3kw inverters work fridges, any of them. I know 1000w ones don't. Fact. But, makes no difference to me. Go ahead, waste money on cheap 1000 inverters because you think they should work. Just. But they don't,not for long anyway.

This actually recommends 10x continuous (running) power for inverter sizing.?!??

Or listen to Danidl who has yet to fit out a yacht, barge or van with a working system. I, ve done at least 50 and lived in one I, d built for 5 years.
But its nice to make your own mistakes.
I did run a number of caravans for a decade.... But getting ahead of ourselves here. If one is using a cigarette lighter connected invertor , one is llimited to 120 watts .. just enough for a TV . Anything larger and that includes the 1 Kw jobs needs cross battery clips . Now it would be foolish to even run them for anywhile without the motor running, car batteries have very little endurance. If I were serious about the business, I also would be running a 2 or 3 Kw inverter, and very conscious that the efficiency loss would probably around 100 watts. ..To get anywhere above 90% peak power efficiency is unusual

Reactions: Zlatan

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Registered with help a refugee this morning.
That's commendably humanitarian of you!

I'm interested in this as well but don't really know anything about it, how it works etc.
What is it that happens? I imagine you might have done this type of thing in the past??

Advertisers