Brexit, for once some facts.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It would appear to be pretty impressive. I'm wondering what we'll see when they launch the M-based Mac Pro?

I have a bottom spec. M1 mini - even then, it was a refurb! And it is pretty good.

My much slower PC is noisier, hotter, bigger, predictably uses more electricity, and has little room for expansion (it is towards the SFF end of things).

I have never yet heard the fan run on either the MBP or the mini. (Which also reduces the amount of dirt that will be drawn in.) Both run barely noticeably warm. And both have fast USB-C/Thunderbolt ports which are far better than the PC.
All of my daily use PCs are in Coolermaster silent cases which contain silent low RPM fans and sound dampening material - there is almost zero noise. After years of occupying spaces with buzzy wirring servers and the like, I value silence. I haven't had the need to install fanless power supplies, the Corsairs are pretty quiet in those cases... my PC boxes sound like ultra-quiet efficiency, as they eat through my energy bill.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I am pretty sure that export from Russia will resume soon.
What is less sure is the outcome of the war.
Russia can demolish Ukrainian cities but someone has to pay for reconstruction.
That someone is most likely Russia in the long term, not the West.
The priority of the West is to supply its modern weapons and money to Ukrainians.
You can look at the movement of the FTSE in the last two weeks to see how well (or not) the war has gone for Mr Putin.
Russia can't afford reparations. Europe will rebuild Ukraine. Russia will either change regime and try and play a modern part or become a sideshow like North Korea.
Putin has seriously overplayed his hand.
I don't think this episode will be forgiven for generations,even if it ends soon.
At end of day Russia is a country with GDP on par with Spain. And they, ve caused this.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: POLLY

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
All of my daily use PCs are in Coolermaster silent cases which contain silent low RPM fans and sound dampening material - there is almost zero noise. After years of occupying spaces with buzzy wirring servers and the like, I value silence. I haven't had the need to install fanless power supplies, the Corsairs are pretty quiet in those cases... my PC boxes sound like ultra-quiet efficiency, as they eat through my energy bill.
Apparently they developed almost silent fans after examing owl wings. Aero engineers for years have know saw tooth trailing /leading edges are less efficient and wondered why some birds have them. Might have poorer lift to drag ratios, but they are quiet.??? Hence owls... Mice never hear a thing.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Apparently they developed almost silent fans after examing owl wings. Aero engineers for years have know saw tooth trailing /leading edges are less efficient and wondered why some birds have them. Might have poorer lift to drag ratios, but they are quiet.??? Hence owls... Mice never hear a thing.
That explains all the feathers! I wondered about those... I'm all for anything which keeps mice out of computers.

Reactions: Zlatan

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Graphics cards are coming down in price again (crypto crashing and all of that). My son bought a 3090 for over it's oem price recently, but not much. Speaking of which, and to be utterly bourgeoisie, I cannot imagine that the status quo doesn't mean a serious correction in property prices soon
Even the higest end M1X Macs can't drive dual 8k monitors, which pros are p*ssed off about. For pro grunt models, they should have stuck with Intel and discrete graphics cards IMHO. AMD/ATI and nVidia have been introducing knackerware to reduce crypto mining use, but as usual, there's an app for that. Intel have been teasing new and cheaper graphics chips for years, but it looks initially at least, they'll only be available to motherboard integrators.

Last edited:
  • Informative

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Russia will pay in oil and gas in due course.
I, m not convinced Woosh. Yes dropping sanctions could be part of a peace deal but do think Europe wants to wash its hands of Russia. UK can, much harder for Central Europe with their dependence on Gazprom etc. But Biden /US are claiming they can fill that void.??? There is no way Russia is going to be allowed to become wealthy again, especially whilst under Putin. It has frightened everybody.
Untrustworthy and likely to poison people, invade its neighbours and threaten nuclear war is not a good starting point for lengthy oil deals. Keep your oil will be the thinking.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Now we are hearing the concessions from Ukraine's President Zelenskyy, it's showing how right I was when I argued against all your opposition that this war could have been prevented from happening just four weeks ago.

Zelenskyy has now, far too late, conceded that Ukraine will never join NATO and has also spoken about being neutral. Russia's foreign minister Sergey Lavrov, fresh from the talks, mentioned Russia perhaps keeping Crimea and Donbass, so clearly that has been discussed.

These are the things I listed long ago that can stop this war, and as I also said long ago could have prevented it, avoiding all the deaths, injuries, destruction and refugees with no loss to Ukraine.

Russia does not want to possess Ukraine. And the daft idea that Putin wants to recreate the USSR that some of you have argued simply isn't true. In fact as I've explained before, Putin has proved this when he crushed Georgia in 2008 but then declared a cease fire and withdrew, returning them to self rule, only keeping the two Russian population enclaves on Russia's border.

Once the dust had settled on the collapse of the USSR, Russia realised that it was not all loss since that had separated its enemy NATO from its borders. Ever since then they've made their policy clear repeatedly that they want to maintain that, so they fight the American attempts to continue to expand NATO to its borders again.

The non NATO countries between them and the NATO countries are their protective buffers and they are very reasonably insistent that must not change. The map below and the notes that follow explain this:

View attachment 46072

The All Blue countries are EU and NATO members, the Blue outline ones are EU only. The red line is the NATO border on Russia's side. You can see from this the six non-NATO buffer countries separating Russia from NATO; Finland, Sweden, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova and Georgia.

It means the only direct contact with NATO that Russia has is the tiny border with Norway and the short stretch of Estonia (EE) and Latvia (LV). Since Russia has good relations with those six, especially Finland, this arrangement in Europe was keeping the peace well until the USA butted in, trying to recruit Ukraine and Georgia into NATO, using the attraction of EU membership as a trojan horse.

That explains to you why I am so angry with the USA and why I say there will never be peace in Europe until we in Europe detach ourselves from the USA's foreign policies.

Even at this moment the US Congress might sabotage the peace talks by their pushing Biden to expand the conflict by getting more involved.

If Ukraine are sensible, once this war is over they will be able to return to independence, but how intact depends on how sensible they are. If they make it clear they will never be a threat to Russia, by proclaiming neutrality, and concede Crimea (which is no use to them anyway), they will be able to retain their Black Sea coastline and vital port of Odessa. If they are very sensible and good neighbourly, they'll even be able to use their other important port of Mariupol, once that city is rebuilt.

It's in Ukraine's hands and always has been.
Sorry flecc, I really don't think that is going to happen. There are no peace talks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am pretty sure that export from Russia will resume soon.
What is less sure is the outcome of the war.
Russia can demolish Ukrainian cities but someone has to pay for reconstruction.
That someone is most likely Russia in the long term, not the West.
Agreed on both. Weirdly enough, Russia will probably see the second as good propaganda!

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's a society hrld in grip of a criminal with judges, police, courts, military and nuclear arms at his disposal. How as it happened.?
I told you how it happened. Once again:

We had a friendly and entirely moderate Russia in our grasp with Mikhail Gorvachov made president by the Duma to bring about perestroika and glasnost, the first leading to a consumer society like ours, the second to open government by the people.

But the USA didn't want that since it was too slow a transition from communism for them. So they assisted an impatient population to depose Gorbachov and appoint Gorbachov opponent Yeltsin as president instead.

The drunken and corrupt Yeltsin appointed Putin as his successor and the rest you know

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And the saw tooth trailing edges on the bypass cowlings of today's jet engines.

We can still hear them coming, but far less than before.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dont buy corsair anything as there psu now explode out the box or sound like a load of crickets inside the psu under load so if you want a decent psu get a seasonic one.

im on my 3rd iron claw mouse as the scroll wheel keeps braking the icue software is absolute crap and the mouse keeps loosing connection so have to turn it of and on and then unplug the dongle to sync it again and the pc does not even pick it up when first powerd on and have to do the above.

and the keys on my keyboard keep braking as the plastic is crap

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
At the end of the day, Russia is no match for the US and NATO.
And the USA and NATOs 900 millions were no match for the Taliban, who are just a part of Afghanistan's 39 millions.

This hemisphere of the world has thankfully become far too soft for all out warfare. We just need it to realise that and stop trying to fight others

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
dont buy corsair anything as there psu now explode out the box or sound like a load of crickets inside the psu under load so if you want a decent psu get a seasonic one.

im on my 3rd iron claw mouse as the scroll wheel keeps braking the icue software is absolute crap and the mouse keeps loosing connection so have to turn it of and on and then unplug the dongle to sync it again and the pc does not even pick it up when first powerd on and have to do the above.

and the keys on my keyboard keep braking as the plastic is crap
Apart from one DOA, Corsairs work fine for me (avoid grey market/rejects), but I'm not a gamer. They're much more sensitive to short circuits and dicky connections than other power supplies I've tried - seemingly dead ones can often be revived with a paperclip. Aren't wired mice better for gamers: lower latency than wireless? Logitech make decent quality mouse hardware, but the software is the best I've used, they never lose wireless connection. Logitech keyboards are flimsy junk - Chicony lasts ages, outlive the PC... also Lenovo inherited decent keyboard designs from IBM, and sell inexpensive durable keyboards in my experience. Woosh might know a thing or two about durable keyboards and mice, power supplies etc.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Even the higest end M1X Macs can't drive dual 8k monitors, which pros are p*ssed off about. For pro grunt models, they should have stuck with Intel and discrete graphics cards IMHO. AMD/ATI and nVidia have been introducing knackerware to reduce crypto mining use, but as usual, there's an app for that. Intel have been teasing new and cheaper graphics chips for years, but it looks initially at least, they'll only be available to motherboard integrators.
I think driving four 5K monitors is pretty stupendous for the Mac Studios.

Reactions: guerney

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the 1200w psu i had worked with i cue so you could see the power usage in the software problem was it would not work with cpuid hw/monitor as would just crash it on start like wtf

so to send that back i got a cheap no brand psu still £100 as need 2 cpu power and did not work at all pmsl.

I think driving four 5K monitors is pretty stupendous for the Mac Studios.
i have 3 32inc 4k monitors and a 4k tv from 1 gfx card :cool:

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
the 1200w psu i had worked with i cue so you could see the power usage in the software problem was it would not work with cpuid hw/monitor as would just crash it on start like wtf

so to send that back i got a cheap no brand psu still £100 as need 2 cpu power and did not work at all pmsl.

i have 3 32inc 4k monitors and a 4k tv from 1 gfx card :cool:
The Mac Studio can drive a 4K tv at the same time as the four 5K monitors. And what makes it very neat is that it is all done from one cable out of the MS.

Advertisers