Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
HM the Q expresses herself clearly
"

James M. Turner QC

@ShipBrief
·
20h

Lovely that she missed the State Opening of Parliament but made it to the horse show.

File under Royal Archive 2022 categories
"We are not amused"
also
"Time for Charlie to handle the crap"
I think I'd rather mix with equines that most of the parliamentary folk.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
HM the Q expresses herself clearly
"

James M. Turner QC

@ShipBrief
·
20h

Lovely that she missed the State Opening of Parliament but made it to the horse show.

File under Royal Archive 2022 categories
"We are not amused"
also
"Time for Charlie to handle the crap"
The Palace knows how unpopular Charles is, compared to the Queen. His accession has often been openly spoken of as potentially the end for UK Royalty.

They are probably trying to phase him in for a while, in advance of the inevitable changover soon, so this motivated by survival more them anything else.

Judging by the miserable, uninspiring way he delivered the Queen's Speech, it could have a wholly negative effect.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Judging by the miserable, uninspiring way he delivered the Queen's Speech, it could have a wholly negative effect.
Mind, HMQ never made the speeches sound in the least interesting or inspiring. But I agree his voice was more weary than hers.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have the impression that the conservatives are prepared for a changeover at the top.
The Queens Speech is un-interesting, the plan to sack a quarter of the civil service is going to cause a lot of problem, the plan to trigger article 16 in the NI protocol is a non-runner, and there is still no solution how to bail out the low income families. The newest dead cat is the government to send 50 asylum seekers to Rwanda.
It's bound to show that brexiteers don't make good ministers, just in time for the old apparatchiks to take back control.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the plan to sack a quarter of the civil service is going to cause a lot of problems
I'm all for it with the following though:

The Houses of Parliament (also grandiloquently titled the Palace of Westminster) contains 15,000 employees.

That's a staggering 23 for every one of our 650 MPs. We could probably sack THREE quarters of them without noticing, making a start by shutting down all staffed 23 bars etc where alcohol is bought and consumed in this place of work.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
We always knew he was a terribly lazy person. Having worked from home, I found that I'd put in full hours and not take even the breaks to which I was entitled.

Suspect Johnson should now be banned from Chequers. Or should he be banished there to prevent him doing any more damage?

Boris Johnson says cheese and coffee can distract when working from home
PM calls for return to offices, saying it makes staff ‘more productive, more energetic, more full of ideas’

Boris Johnson has made a renewed call for people to return to the office, saying working from home does not work and that when he tried to do so he became distracted by making coffee and eating cheese.
The prime minister said staff were “more productive, more energetic, more full of ideas” when in the workplace with colleagues.

He said: “My experience of working from home is you spend an awful lot of time making another cup of coffee and then, you know, getting up, walking very slowly to the fridge, hacking off a small piece of cheese, then walking very slowly back to your laptop and then forgetting what it was you’re doing.”

• :D
Reactions: POLLY and Woosh

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I have the impression that the conservatives are prepared for a changeover at the top.
The Queens Speech is un-interesting, the plan to sack a quarter of the civil service is going to cause a lot of problem, the plan to trigger article 16 in the NI protocol is a non-runner, and there is still no solution how to bail out the low income families. The newest dead cat is the government to send 50 asylum seekers to Rwanda.
It's bound to show that brexiteers don't make good ministers, just in time for the old apparatchiks to take back control.
If they send 50 desperate asylum seekers to Rwanda they will have a much reduced majority! ;)

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Who will this help?

Prescription charges frozen to help with cost of living crisis, Sajid Javid says
Move will save total of £17m, says health secretary, as Labour and head of TUC say windfall tax needed to tackle issue

If you can afford £9-35, you could probably afford £9-70 or whatever the increase would have been.

The genuinely very poor would already have found £9-35 all too often unaffordable and ended up not getting the prescribed medicines - if they do not already qualify for some form of exemption.

According to one MP (Lee Anderson) the cost of one prescription would be almost 32 meals.

If you are well off, and easily able to pay for your prescription, you will gain, albeit by a very small, utterly insignificant, amount. I suspect a lot of the £17 million will go to them.

• Agree
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Who will this help?

Prescription charges frozen to help with cost of living crisis, Sajid Javid says
Move will save total of £17m, says health secretary, as Labour and head of TUC say windfall tax needed to tackle issue

If you can afford £9-35, you could probably afford £9-70 or whatever the increase would have been.

The genuinely very poor would already have found £9-35 all too often unaffordable and ended up not getting the prescribed medicines - if they do not already qualify for some form of exemption.

According to one MP (Lee Anderson) the cost of one prescription would be almost 32 meals.

If you are well off, and easily able to pay for your prescription, you will gain, albeit by a very small, utterly insignificant, amount. I suspect a lot of the £17 million will go to them.
I fully agree, but do take exception to Lee Anderson's exaggeration.

As someone with a lifetime's cooking experience who successfully lived and even saved while on unemployment benefit for two years as an exercise to prove it could be done, I have considerable expertise in producing very cheap meals.

But even I would baulk at providing 32 meals from £9.35.

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: guerney

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i know ppl that will only eat 1 pot noodle a day as all they can afford and not starved to death yet ;)

and i meant buy 7 packs of 5 for 10 quid lol

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
i know ppl that will only eat 1 pot noodle a day as all they can afford and not starved to death yet ;)

and i meant buy 7 packs of 5 for 10 quid lol
That could kill you anyway. The last person I knew who ate like that died on December 8th at 56 years old.

I'm 30 years older than that and still good for more, but of course I've never eaten anything as disgusting as a pot noodle in my life.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nor Wales, nor Northern Ireland. Nor those over 60, with any of a list of conditions, under 18, etc.

I am at least triply exempt!
Being very healthy for most of my life, I've never paid a prescription charge. I was 72 when I had my first prescription ever!

Reactions: Woosh and oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Out of curiosity I watched an Australian news channel interviewing a retired American commander on this thoughts as to what Putin will do next on the news that Sweden and Finland are joining NATO
His responses was as follows
Straight after the Victory day parade Putin had ordered a force of their latest towable hardwear to the Finnish Border as a threatening show of force.
There was no official response from the Finnish government.
Word got out however and large numbers of Finnish farmers have driven their tractors to the border.

Minä rakastan sitä
Olette pärjänneet Jollylle hyvin!

Translation= I love it! you've all done jolly well :cool:

Reactions: POLLY and oyster

Advertisers