Brexit, for once some facts.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
i know ppl that will only eat 1 pot noodle a day as all they can afford and not starved to death yet ;)

and i meant buy 7 packs of 5 for 10 quid lol
Pot noodle isn't good (surprisingly high fat), but noodles can be - on its own lowish GI and paired with chick peas, tuna etc healthy high protein. fuelled dirt cheap years at uni for me, and was much more healthy then than now.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
pot noodle is poor value for money. You pay at least 50p for 100g of pasta and the equivalent of a stockcube. It may be OK for emergencies but can't replace a meal nutritionally. If I have only 50p to buy food, I would spend it on a potato and a chicken thigh.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
pot noodle is poor value for money. You pay at least 50p for 100g of pasta and the equivalent of a stockcube. It may be OK for emergencies but can't replace a meal nutritionally. If I have only 50p to buy food, I would spend it on a potato and a chicken thigh.
What was not made clear was whether the cost of fuel was supposed to be within the 30p.

Also, there is a considerable difference between one person making one meal for 30p and being able to combine multiple 30 pences as a meal for four, or four meals for one (or whatever).

It is extremely difficult to literally make a meal for 30p. A bit easier to make four meals for £1.20. And those at the extreme bottom of the pile will most likely have next to nothing by way of store cupboard/larder foods. Salt, pepper, a smear of butter/spread, etc., which can make such a difference to food.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I did the £1 challenge once, about 10 years ago. The challenge is to feed myself for one day with just £1. Condiments and fuels are allowed. I found it extremely difficult to last more than the time of the challenge. Eating cheaply is possible but you have to have the time to do it. Still, I can't see it doable for any length of time for less than £2.50 a day. That's less than the cost of energy for other usage. As a family we all cook and still do 'come dine with me' regularly.

Reactions: flecc and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I did the £1 challenge once, about 10 years ago. The challenge is to feed myself for one day with just £1. Condiments and fuels are allowed. I found it extremely difficult to last more than the time of the challenge. Eating cheaply is possible but you have to have the time to do it. Still, I can't see it doable for any length of time for less than £2.50 a day. That's less than the cost of energy for other usage. As a family we all cook and still do 'come dine with me' regularly.
On one pound, without paying for fuel, I think beans would be prominent. Tesco offer some at around £2.30 per kilogram. Which is a lot of beans when cooked. (And you might find some even less expensive.)

I often make a lentil and hock soup - lentils, onion, carrot, potato, and a hock. The cost of hocks has gone crazy but obviously you can use a tiny amount of pretty much any meat (other than offal) to make it more tasty and add some nutrients - even if a tiny amount. Can produce eight generous portions with just over half a kilogram of lentils.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Can I ask - why exactly the 'other than offal' ?
Because stewing liver and kidneys makes them pretty much inedible.

Back many years, we were fed liver casserole, the liver having a texture closer to sawdust than any recognisable food.

There might be some offal that is edible after long cooking. (And I was assuming cooking the dish all-in-one as in a pressure cooker - which works well for beans.)

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: GLJoe and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Because stewing liver and kidneys makes them pretty much inedible.

Back many years, we were fed liver casserole, the liver having a texture closer to sawdust than any recognisable food.

There might be some offal that is edible after long cooking. (And I was assuming cooking the dish all-in-one as in a pressure cooker - which works well for beans.)
Braised liver is indeed awful, horrible texture.

Kidneys I find ok in a good steak and kidney pie, but I've never found a good commercial one yet. A pie best cooked at home by those who know how.

And I've enjoyed devilled kidneys when cooked at the table in a good hotel or restaurant. A very British meal.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Braised liver is indeed awful, horrible texture.

Kidneys I find ok in a good steak and kidney pie, but I've never found a good commercial one yet. A pie best cooked at home by those who know how.

And I've enjoyed devilled kidneys when cooked at the table in a good hotel or restaurant. A very British meal.
I used to like the tiny bits of kidney you would often get on a pork chop.

Then, years ago now, a place I worked served kidneys in their canteen. The entire building smelled like a filthy urinal in the summer. That had a major impact on my choice of offal.

Tender lambs liver is, I think, lovely. Very gently fried with whatever choice of onions, bacon, etc., you like.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Tender lambs liver is, I think, lovely. Very gently fried with whatever choice of onions, bacon, etc., you like.
Agreed on both, I've never understood why many believe calfs liver superior to lambs. For me it's lambs every time.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018

Then, years ago now, a place I worked served kidneys in their canteen. The entire building smelled like a filthy urinal in the summer. That had a major impact on my choice of offal.

True, but the older I get the more I develop a conscience, and the harder I find it to eat non free range animals, lambs that haven't had an opportunity to live a life etc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Re Sweden and Finland and NATO:

"Russia, Putin said, had no problem with Finland or Sweden, so there was no direct threat from Nato enlargement which included those countries, Reuters reports."

One word: Vyborg. I don’t think that Finland has forgotten or forgiven the USSR for taking over this city in 1944.

Nor has Russia played down that they acquired it by force. Quite recently, March 25, 2010, Dmitry Medvedev named Vyborg the "City of Military Glory".

Whilst Finland might have had reasonable relations with Russia, they are acutely aware of how exposed they are.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Whilst Finland might have had reasonable relations with Russia, they are acutely aware of how exposed they are.
That's a very biased Western view. Try it this way:

Whilst Russia might have had reasonable relations with Finland, they are acutely aware of how exposed they are if Finland becomes a NATO country.

NATO countries population 946 millions, Russia's population 144 million.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimod and POLLY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
That's a very biased Western view. Try it this way:

Whilst Russia might have had reasonable relations with Finland, they are acutely aware of how exposed they are if Finland becomes a NATO country.

NATO countries population 946 millions, Russia's population 144 million.
Just as easy to suggest that Finland and Sweden would not have joined NATO had Putin not invaded Ukraine. Effectively for a second time (Crimea is what I mean.)

You know, the old reaping and sowing.

• Agree
Reactions: POLLY and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Effectively for a second time (Crimea is what I mean.)
Putin must have thought that the West is so corrupted that we would not have the courage to do anything.

Reactions: POLLY

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just as easy to suggest that Finland and Sweden would not have joined NATO had Putin not invaded Ukraine. Effectively for a second time (Crimea is what I mean.)

You know, the old reaping and sowing.
Not so, wrong time sequence for reaping and sowing. also repeating the bias.

It starts back in the 1990s with the USA in particular, backed by certain EU nations, rejecting Russia's repeated attempts to be a friend of the West, due to their fanatical and obsessive hatred of communism.

Then continues with the USA continuing with efforts to expand NATO, a specifically anti USSR organisation, up to Russia's borders, despite the cold war having clearly ended and Russia ending the existence of the USSR.

Take the USA's meddling out of that period and there wouldn't be any war in Ukraine today, nor have been any war in Georgia in 2008.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimod and POLLY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The chairman of Marks & Spencer has backed government plans to override parts of the Northern Ireland protocol, saying that some food exported south of the border now requires 700 pages of customs documents, partly written in Latin.

Archie Norman, a former Conservative MP, called on the UK government and EU to come to an agreement, saying the rules for sending food between them were “highly bureaucratic and pretty pointless” given that British food standards were in line with or higher than those of Brussels.

Of course, it was Johnson who agreed the protocol. (Probably without having read it.) The reference to Latin is pathetic. It has been standard for some considerable time to use formal scientific names for things like fish. And I emphasise that the Latin words are often of relatively recent origin - not going back to Roman times. They are, thus, more cod Latin than Caesarean Latin. (Would he also excise Latin and Latin-derived words from medicine?)

It isn't as if the driver is expected to communicate in Latin with the border people, is it?

Machinam lorryload nactus sum, non vis septingentas paginas crap legere, tu, gubernator?

Advertisers