Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I wonder how long until we find out who this is:

Tory MP arrested on suspicion of rape and banned from Commons
MP arrested on suspicion of indecent assault, sexual assault, rape, abuse of position of trust and misconduct

This is, of course, how Johnson focusses on crime crime crime.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
British food standards were in line with or higher than those of Brussels.
Questionable perhaps? It was only a short while ago we were thinking of importing America's chlorine washed chicken to try to get a trade deal.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Questionable perhaps? It was only a short while ago we were thinking of importing America's chlorine washed chicken to try to get a trade deal.
Completely agree.

I've also just found out that Titanium dioxide has been banned from foods in the EU. And am trying to catch up with the current status re medicines and the same issues in the USA, Canada, etc.

Pretty sure we have not (yet?) banned it.

Adding:

Titanium dioxide: E171 no longer considered safe when used as a food additive

Published:

6 May 2021

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Tory MP arrested on suspicion of rape and banned from Commons
MP arrested on suspicion of indecent assault, sexual assault, rape, abuse of position of trust and misconduct

This is, of course, how Johnson focusses on crime crime crime.
it is
Andrew Rosindell

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
it is
Andrew Rosindell
were i the bloke who looked at tractors I'd be filing for unfair dismissal. Sheesh, quietly minding his own business in the HoC and being effectively sacked with everything else that's going on (and others only asked "to stay away")

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
were i the bloke who looked at tractors I'd be filing for unfair dismissal. Sheesh, quietly minding his own business in the HoC and being effectively sacked with everything else that's going on (and others only asked "to stay away")
I dunno. I think the 650 in the Commons and the 780 in the Lords are serving us well.

Look how good they are making all the rest of us look, the finest population any country could ever have. Almost as angelic as Ukrainians (allegedly).

• :D
Reactions: daveboy and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Even if no-one opened their gobs, anyone who can spend a bit of time round Westminster would have narrowed the names down to a tiny handful within a few days.

Start with around 270 male tory MPs.
Remove those under 50.
Remove a few obvious ones (the transgender one seems unlikely, and Johnson is hardly ever in the HoC).
Tick down the remaining list as individuals are seen on the Parliamentary estate.

If you were a lobby correspondent, you could always do things like try to arrange a meeting with each of the remaining few. If they agree to meet somewhere on the estate, eliminate.

There is, in the end, no way a person like an MP could have their identity protected.

• Agree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Completely agree.

I've also just found out that Titanium dioxide has been banned from foods in the EU. And am trying to catch up with the current status re medicines and the same issues in the USA, Canada, etc.

Pretty sure we have not (yet?) banned it.

Adding:

Titanium dioxide: E171 no longer considered safe when used as a food additive

Published:

6 May 2021
The UK's Food Standards Agency has this:

Titanium dioxide
From 7 February 2022 the use of titanium dioxide (TiO2 - E171) as a food additive is no longer permitted in the EU and in Northern Ireland, due to the application of the Northern Ireland Protocol, following the publication of Commission Regulation (EU) 2022/63, amending Annexes II and III to Regulation (EC) No 1333/2008.
This regulation was published with a 6-month transition period which ends on 7 August 2022. Until the end of this transition period foods produced in accordance with the rules applicable before 7 February 2022 may continue to be placed on the market. After 7 August 2022, food products containing TiO2 will no longer be able to be placed on the EU/NI market, however, foods already on the market will be able to remain on the market until they reach their date of minimum durability or ‘use by’ date.

A nonsense. Stop it in the UK as well and remove a potential obstacle to UK-to-NI trade.

Or is our health not so important?

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The UK's Food Standards Agency has this:

Titanium dioxide
From 7 February 2022 the use of titanium dioxide (TiO2 - E171) as a food additive is no longer permitted in the EU and in Northern Ireland, due to the application of the Northern Ireland Protocol, following the publication of Commission Regulation (EU) 2022/63, amending Annexes II and III to Regulation (EC) No 1333/2008.
This regulation was published with a 6-month transition period which ends on 7 August 2022. Until the end of this transition period foods produced in accordance with the rules applicable before 7 February 2022 may continue to be placed on the market. After 7 August 2022, food products containing TiO2 will no longer be able to be placed on the EU/NI market, however, foods already on the market will be able to remain on the market until they reach their date of minimum durability or ‘use by’ date.

A nonsense. Stop it in the UK as well and remove a potential obstacle to UK-to-NI trade.

Or is our health not so important?
Information Link

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Today, for the first time, my eyes alighted on a Riversimple Rasa. And it was being driven in the road. I was driving so cxouldn't take a photo - found this:

The one I saw had stickers on the side "H2e". Probabley some sort of demonstrator/test car.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Today, for the first time, my eyes alighted on a Riversimple Rasa. And it was being driven in the road. I was driving so cxouldn't take a photo - found this:

View attachment 47060

The one I saw had stickers on the side "H2e". Probabley some sort of demonstrator/test car.
It's been taking too long to come to market. Now the talk of Siemens support is helping but it still seems two years away and I can't find any costs other than this 2019 information:

"On top of that, these demos won't be free. Riversimple will be stress-testing its subscription model just as much as the cars themselves. Customers will pay 370 pounds (approximately $480) per month and 18 pence (~23 cents) per mile traveled, and that outlay covers fuel, maintenance and repairs."

Ouch, and people thought battery e-cars were dear!

Since top speed is 60 mph I think they should have aimed for a compact town car shape, rather than this streamlined sporting shape. I'd rather buy something like this Citroen Ami e-car which with battery too will easily last ten years of town running about. Under £70 a month plus the minimal electricity costs:

citroen-ami-urban-ev Quadricycle.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: oyster and Woosh

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It's been taking too long to come to market. Now the talk of Siemens support is helping but it still seems two years away and I can't find any costs other than this 2019 information:

"On top of that, these demos won't be free. Riversimple will be stress-testing its subscription model just as much as the cars themselves. Customers will pay 370 pounds (approximately $480) per month and 18 pence (~23 cents) per mile traveled, and that outlay covers fuel, maintenance and repairs."

Ouch, and people thought battery e-cars were dear!

Since top speed is 60 mph I think they should have aimed for a compact town car shape, rather than this streamlined sporting shape. I'd rater buy this Citroen Ami e-car which with battery too will easily last ten years of town running about:

View attachment 47061
They claim that the design was intended to be very efficient in terms of aerodynamics, weight, etc. so as to maximise the advantage of not carrying a heavy battery.

It did look more appealing on the road than on the page/screen.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm happy with the looks, but aerodynamics don't count for much at 60 and below, so I rank practicality higher and a light two seater like this will end up as a town car for most. Since towns and cities are increasingly limited to 20 mph with some through roads at 30 mph, there'll be little point by the time it gets to market.

The Ami's battery is only 5.5 kW, a seventh of my Leaf battery, so not a great weight for it to propel at town speeds.

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I used to like the tiny bits of kidney you would often get on a pork chop.

Then, years ago now, a place I worked served kidneys in their canteen. The entire building smelled like a filthy urinal in the summer. That had a major impact on my choice of offal.

Tender lambs liver is, I think, lovely. Very gently fried with whatever choice of onions, bacon, etc., you like.
Back in the day when my Mother did cooking and I was a uni student coming home at 10:00 pm , for Dinner .(.I would stay in College for my studying and student societies) .. a standard meal was a brown stew with a lot of liver and bits of rasher, and potatoes , onions . This would have been sitting in a warm oven from maybe 7:00pm ,so the liver would just about disintegrate when touched .. but extremely tasty...

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
That's a very biased Western view. Try it this way:

Whilst Russia might have had reasonable relations with Finland, they are acutely aware of how exposed they are if Finland becomes a NATO country.

NATO countries population 946 millions, Russia's population 144 million.
We have been here before ... Finland has engaged in a 40+ : year self censorship of activities so as not to antagonise the Russian Bear. They would have continued , except that Russia invaded Ukraine in force last February. .. How do we know that .. the Finnish President said so. As long as Finnish neutrality was a choice for the Finns, they were happy to go along with it, and spend a large fraction of their wealth and resources on civil defence structures and a well trained military, but as soon as an outsider insisted Publicly, that they must or there would be consequences, it is no longer a free choice.

• Agree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Back in the day when my Mother did cooking and I was a uni student coming home at 10:00 pm , for Dinner .(.I would stay in College for my studying and student societies) .. a standard meal was a brown stew with a lot of liver and bits of rasher, and potatoes , onions . This would have been sitting in a warm oven from maybe 7:00pm ,so the liver would just about disintegrate when touched .. but extremely tasty...
There's probably a difference between a large catering situation and a domestic one. The big containers will be lilely to remain hot, rather than warm, for much longer. Allowing truly massive over-cook.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Johnson really is doing his best to antagonise absolutely everyone:

US delegation arrives in Europe for talks on Northern Ireland and Brexit
Nine-strong team led by close Biden ally will visit Brussels, Dublin and London in significant intervention on division over NI protocol

Ukraine might be friendly for now, but if at any point they have to choose between the EU and the UK, which do you think would they choose?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We have been here before ... Finland has engaged in a 40+ : year self censorship of activities so as not to antagonise the Russian Bear. They would have continued , except that Russia invaded Ukraine in force last February. .. How do we know that .. the Finnish President said so. As long as Finnish neutrality was a choice for the Finns, they were happy to go along with it, and spend a large fraction of their wealth and resources on civil defence structures and a well trained military, but as soon as an outsider insisted Publicly, that they must or there would be consequences, it is no longer a free choice.
Which doesn't alter the fact that joining NATO is a big mistake, for them and for all of us. There is no parity in their position compared to Ukraine and what has happened there, and it's foolish of them to think there is. Joining NATO just means a different sort of loss of choice to that even bigger outsider, while ensuring that the possible enemy of Russia becomes a more definite one, with a certain large economic cost.

In the modern world we've all built there is little real choice and no such thing as independence. We are all dependent, as the costs of leaving the EU are now making clear.

Advertisers