Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
BJ will go down as the worst PM in modern time and those who bankroll the tory party have decided that it's time to cut their losses and change the horse.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
No longer supporting:
Andrew Murrison MP
Bin Afolami MP
Anthony Browne MP
And Jonathan Gullis MP ... and Saqib Bhatti MP and Sally-Ann Hart MP and Nicola Richards MP

and Virginia Crosbie MP

and MP Theo Clarke

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Woosh

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Just heard Slocock (a civil servant to Thatcher) say better to leave with dignity.

Afraid that door was closed on Johnson some considerable time ago.

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Yesterday I jokingly remarked this about selling my Nissan Leaf:

"If I wait another year I should get more than I paid for it new!"

However, it appears that's not so far out. I'd bought the new model in 2018 at that low introductory price of £25,500, but shortly after Nissan increased th price by £2000. Since then the £4500 government grant I benefitted from has been reduced to £1500.

The net result is that the equivalent N-connecta model is now listed at £30,440.

So little wonder they could afford to buy my low mileage one for £19,305, even at 4.3 years old, given the very high demand for them.
i think prices will plummet soon. People will have no money for food, cars, rent and electricity.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
i think prices will plummet soon. People will have no money for food, cars, rent and electricity.
Eventually, but not soon. The society thats been created over the last 50 years is so unequal that that up to 30% of the population will be little affected. It will take up to 10 years to satisfy their e-car desires, after which the other 70% will gradually be reduced to living without a car.

The evidence for this is already clearly showing. E-car prices, far from going down as was popularly forecast, are on average rising considerably, This is happening as their makers are increasingly moving to the luxury end and adandoning the sub £30k market which produces no profit. While there's plenty of customers for the £40k to £60k market, that's the one they'll make for, as Nissan is showing in dropping the Leaf shortly and joining the high price gang with the luxurious Arriya crossover.

One can buy a bare bones new Dacia petrol car for £7995, but not in 8 years time when all when ic cars will be banned.

For the same £8k the Citroen Ami e-car will be launched here this year. But it's not a car, it's a Quadricycle, just about 2 hard seats, just over 4 feet wide and only 5 kW power, just enough for a moped, so expect milk float performance on hills, banned from all M roads and eventually all A roads. Maximum range 43 miles, so in practical terms 30 miles when new, no heater, radio etc, no wind down windows, no luggage space.

That's the most the luckiest of the other 70% might be able to aspire to, the rest cycling or on Shanks's pony.

• Informative
Reactions: tillson

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Eventually, but not soon. The society thats been created over the last 50 years is so unequal that that up to 30% of the population will be little affected. It will take up to 10 years to satisfy their e-car desires, after which the other 70% will gradually be reduced to living without a car.

The evidence for this is already clearly showing. E-car prices, far from going down as was popularly forecast, are on average rising considerably, This is happening as their makers are increasingly moving to the luxury end and adandoning the sub £30k market which produces no profit. While there's plenty of customers for the £40k to £60k market, that's the one they'll make for, as Nissan is showing in dropping the Leaf shortly and joining the high price gang with the luxurious Arriya crossover.

One can buy a bare bones new Dacia petrol car for £7995, but not in 8 years time when all when ic cars will be banned.

For the same £8k the Citroen Ami e-car will be launched here this year. But it's not a car, it's a Quadricycle, just about 2 hard seats, just over 4 feet wide and only 5 kW power, just enough for a moped, so expect milk float performance on hills, banned from all M roads and eventually all A roads. Maximum range 43 miles, so in practical terms 30 miles when new, no heater, radio etc, no wind down windows, no luggage space.

That's the most the luckiest of the other 70% might be able to aspire to, the rest cycling or on Shanks's pony.
That's all to the good then .. this is an ebike forum. The problem with e cars at present is the cost and availability of lithium. Other chemistries are being seriously explored, and will compete. There is no magic bullet and a single solution, just a selection of various ones

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's all to the good then .. this is an ebike forum. The problem with e cars at present is the cost and availability of lithium. Other chemistries are being seriously explored, and will compete. There is no magic bullet and a single solution, just a selection of various ones
It's not the battery chemistry that's the key to the future, you're omitting other more important factors:

It's simply not convenient or even possible for the world's huge population to all drive cars while dealing with climate change problems, no matter how they are powered.

And it's not just about cars v bicycles, it's about the whole of our consumerism being incompatible with a viable future and all that will mean.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
It's not the battery chemistry that's the key to the future, you're omitting other more important factors:

It's simply not convenient or even possible for the world's huge population to all drive cars while dealing with climate change problems, no matter how they are powered.

And it's not just about cars v bicycles, it's about the whole of our consumerism being incompatible with a viable future and all that will mean.
Unless the microlino saves us
It would completely work for me (in early retirement) if they gave it rapid charging and a bit more range, despite the 56mph top speed. But yes we're in for a significant recalibrating of our expectations.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Unless the microlino saves us
It would completely work for me (in early retirement) if they gave it rapid charging and a bit more range, despite the 56mph top speed. But yes we're in for a significant recalibrating of our expectations.
I've had a very serious look at the Ami and similar. With my remaining sister living in Bulgaria and my brather having died in 2020, my Leaf has become a very expensive shopping trolley since I have no longer journey needs.

I could sell the Leaf, buy an Ami and top up my bank account with £11k. but then suffer a lifetime of bullying as I hold up all other traffic on any upward slope.

The Microlino looks slightly more promising, but the forecast £10k for the UK is nonsense. It's Swiss (= expensive) and we know from all prior conversion examples that it will end up nearer £15k even if it ever reaches here . With a production forecast of 10k per annum they'll have no hope of satisfying themselves and their immediate neighours.

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I've had a very serious look at the Ami and similar.
there are a few Citroen Ami in my town (in France). Cute little things that you can buy at Fnac or Darty for about 6,000 Euros or rent long term for 20 Euros a month (plus a substantial initial deposit).
The build quality is not great, plasticky but at least it shields you from the rain and anyone over 14 can drive it.
We use our bikes here and have our car for heavy bulky things so although interested, we are not buying one.

• Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
there are a few Citroen Ami in my town (in France). Cute little things that you can buy at Fnac or Darty for about 6,000 Euros or rent long term for 20 Euros a month (plus a substantial initial deposit).
The build quality is not great, plasticky but at least it shields you from the rain and anyone over 14 can drive it.
We use our bikes here and have our car for heavy bulky things so although interested, we are not buying one.
Starting price here will be £8k say Citroen.

I'm not worried by the limited range or top speed of 28mph, but for me the killers are no heating (essential with my circulation troubles) and the impossibly slow hill climbing that 5kW (6.7 bhp) of power hauling well over half a tonne means. Being bullied every trip by angry following drivers isn't a happy prospect.

The 11 kW (15bhp) of the Microlino hauling the same weight looks a bit better, and it has a heater of sorts.

• Informative
Reactions: oyster and Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Boris Johnson's reply to all the resignation calls in PM's question time amounted to:

"The Ukrainians need me".

Desperation if ever there was.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
He'll probably know the timetable for the takeover by Monday when the 22 committee decides.

• Agree

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
He'll probably know the timetable for the takeover by Monday when the 22 committee decides.
Like him or not, starmer did a quite stonking performance in PMQ, dismembering the front bench of the conservative party ("charge of the light weight brigade", well worth watching)
Edit- certainly more convincing than javids awkward monologue "about his humility and intengrity" (sic) that could not possibly be a leadership bid or greencard sunak suddenly locating his professional ethics

Last edited:

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
On top gear this week they were using synthetic petrol...a mixture of hydrogen and co2....they said it can be used in any car without modifications. £10 a litre at the moment but will only get cheaper and its carbon neutral if the hydrogen is made from renewable energy.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
On top gear this week they were using synthetic petrol...a mixture of hydrogen and co2....they said it can be used in any car without modifications. £10 a litre at the moment but will only get cheaper and its carbon neutral if the hydrogen is made from renewable energy.
Apart from well-known issues such as the energy input required to make such fuels...

Just how does this get rid of the various nitrogen oxides produced in all ICE? (Even assuming perfect combustion of the actual fuel.)

And one of the other issues which is becoming more widely understood, the amount of particulate pollution caused by tyres. While the Musks of this world seem intent on producing cars with accelerations and top speeds which are beyond the capacity of drivers and roads to cope with, they ignore this tyre issue. Their high acceleration and sudden braking, even with the most sophisticated computerised management, will cause far more such pollution than more modest vehicles.

(Obviously, also add the shortened life of tyres when used like this. Hence incressed issues from manufacture and disposal of tyres.)

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I see the DT provides little comfort to Johnson:

The Telegraph can reveal that the government Whips Office has calculated that Mr Johnson would win the support of just 65 Tory MPs in a new confidence vote, from a total of almost 360.

And, by Johnson claiming there would be chaos for three months if he went, he seems entirely oblivious to the chaos that has already descended. And will only get worse every minute he stays.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

Advertisers