Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it's official: Nadhim Zahawi told BJ to go. BJ will from now on run his useless government from his kitchen.
Rumour: TM may be the caretaker PM if BJ leaves right away.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
SAS team - remain on standby.

Boris Johnson has agreed to resign, but wants to stay on as PM until new Tory leader elected by autumn
Boris Johnson has agreed to resign, the BBC’s Chris Mason reports. He says he wants a new Tory leader to be in place by the party conference. He wants to stay on as PM until then.

Adding latest DT headline: Pound rises as Boris Johnson prepares to resign - live updates

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
there are a few Citroen Ami in my town (in France). Cute little things that you can buy at Fnac or Darty for about 6,000 Euros or rent long term for 20 Euros a month (plus a substantial initial deposit).
The build quality is not great, plasticky but at least it shields you from the rain and anyone over 14 can drive it.
We use our bikes here and have our car for heavy bulky things so although interested, we are not buying one.
Woosh..what is the car insurance situation with an Ami in France?. . If having one didn't have a large annual cost, it might suit me.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
O - ex-ministers - are you only now seeing? Or only now admitting?

Leaving him in place another minute is obviously a danger.

Just as well he can't issue pardons and execute orders.

Tories say 'reckless' Johnson should be forced out now because letting him stay until autumn risky
Jessica Elgot

Jessica Elgot
Two ex-ministers have told the Guardian they think it not possible for Johnson to stay till the autumn.

One said: “He needs to be gone by tonight, Raab should take over.” Another said: “He needs to hand in the seals of office today and go. So we can have a caretaker PM.”

Another highly senior Tory source who has been with Johnson over the past 48 hours said his behaviour meant it was dangerous for the country for him to stay. The source said:

His behaviour in the last 48 hrs and been reckless and erratic. He cannot be trusted to lead the country until the autumn. God knows what he will do.
One former government advisor said it was “dangerous” for Johnson to stay in post. Another ex-minister called him “a disgrace”.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
SAS team - remain on standby.

Boris Johnson has agreed to resign, but wants to stay on as PM until new Tory leader elected by autumn
Boris Johnson has agreed to resign, the BBC’s Chris Mason reports. He says he wants a new Tory leader to be in place by the party conference. He wants to stay on as PM until then.

Adding latest DT headline: Pound rises as Boris Johnson prepares to resign - live updates
This is more sensible for the Tory party than his immediate departure, it fits with what I thought best, minimise the length of time any new PM has until the next GE.

In the present state of the economy no new PM will be able to satisfy the electorate, so the less time for that to be apparent, the better for them.

• Disagree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
This is more sensible for the Tory party than his immediate departure, it fits with what I thought best, minimise the length of time any new PM has until the next GE.

In the present state of the economy no new PM will be able to satisfy the electorate, so the less time for that to be apparent, the better for them.
If they leave him in place, they are burning votes by the hour. Especially if he seems to be behaving even more erratically than he has done so far - and yesterday suggests that is possible.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Can you imagine his resignation honours list?

I mean, would you accept an honour from that? Or would the stain be far worse than not having it at all?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If they leave him in place, they are burning votes by the hour. Especially if he seems to be behaving even more erratically than he has done so far - and yesterday suggests that is possible.
As I said, best for the party since everyone knows it's him who is the trouble, not the party the public swept into power with a large majority in 2019.

Replace him immediately and the new PM has two years to show they'll be no better in present circumstances. Anyone who thinks it's just Johnson's lies and parties that have got the country in a mess is very mistaken, they've made absolutely no difference to our situation.

As far as I'm concerned he can carry on lying, have a continuous non-stop rave for the rest of this year and change the wallpaper again, because none of those things have affected us to any degree.

We are in a horrible economic mess with no easy way out, except downhill, as whoever attempts to lead the country will find out soon after taking over.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
How does car insurance work with a paid-for car but a hired battery?

(I can see several possibilities - just realised it is a question I'd never previously thought to ask.)
insurance is still fairly expensive, about 300-400 Euros a year.

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Replace him immediately and the new PM has two years to show they'll be no better in present circumstances. Anyone who thinks it's just Johnson's lies and parties that have got the country in a mess is very mistaken, they've made absolutely no difference to our situation.
they have to replace him pretty soon, like next week, because there have been so many resignations that it's difficult to recruit replacements from the tiny pool that still supports/have confidence in BJ.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
they have to replace him pretty soon, like next week, because there have been so many resignations that it's difficult to recruit replacements from the tiny pool that still supports/have confidence in BJ.
But it isn't a tiny pool.

Only today on the 1pm BBC news they were interviewing those who had been asserting Johnson must go, but now have accepted ministerial posts.

They're politicians so few have any principles, only desires for status and money.

Reactions: oyster and Woosh

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Back on the original topic of this thread
Starmer seems determined to commit the Labour party to suicide with the latest stunt being a public declaration that it will not seek to "reverse the result of the referendum" and "make Brexit work better"
Truly we trying to survive as a nation against the background of a pandemic of political idiocy.
What the hell is the point of voting labour?
How can voters from either side of the debate trust the man to do the right thing?
I think he’d be better positioning Labour as being committed to rejoining the EU or at least holding another referendum. That assumes the EU would allow U.K. back of course.

I think there is a ground swell of people building who are starting to realise they’ve been conned. I was conned into voting for Brexit, but not everyone is ready to openly admit it. In the solitude of a voting booth, I think a surprising number of people would support a party committed to scrap the madness of Brexit. The evidence is there. Every single difficulty we are currently facing is either due to, or made worse by Brexit. I think voters are starting to see that.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I think he’d be better positioning Labour as being committed to rejoining the EU or at least holding another referendum. That assumes the EU would allow U.K. back of course.

I think there is a ground swell of people building who are starting to realise they’ve been conned. I was conned into voting for Brexit, but not everyone is ready to openly admit it. In the solitude of a voting booth, I think a surprising number of people would support a party committed to scrap the madness of Brexit. The evidence is there. Every single difficulty we are currently facing is either due to, or made worse by Brexit. I think voters are starting to see that.
I think saying that rejoin is policy, now, is probably going to make those who are still even slightly pro-brexit into total enemies.

Go in with a "do as well as we can" policy - and see if, within a year or two, the policy can become more towards rejoin. But, as everyone says, we need to be accepted!

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I think saying that rejoin is policy, now, is probably going to make those who are still even slightly pro-brexit into total enemies.

Go in with a "do as well as we can" policy - and see if, within a year or two, the policy can become more towards rejoin. But, as everyone says, we need to be accepted!
I doubt we’ll get any terms as good as the ones we gave up if we do re join.

The current outfit in government has done as much damage, if not more, to this country as any of our “enemies” I learned about in school history lessons.

Advertisers