Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Wrong is wrong is wrong is wrong .... No matter what else you say.

Jacob Rees-Mogg: I was wrong to say Brexit would not cause Dover delays
Minister blames France for recent problems and suggests Britons might go to Portugal instead

“Yes, of course I got it wrong, but I got it wrong for the right reason, if I may put it that way,” he said.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Good to see Ms Truss taking over Johnson's position as chief recruiting sergeant for the SNP.

Even better to see her take on his mantle as the numero uno for screeching u turns
To be fair she just mirrors the vapid stupidity of the tory selectorate (who also voted for brexit and boris). That's our real problem.
Edit - this is in fact genuinely good heartwarming news. Not so much altruistically, for what it means for civil servants (good as that is). More as a taste of what to come: truss will lurch from one u turned disaster to the next self inflicted catastrophy in ways that Boris couldn't in his wildest dreams aspire to.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Truss adopts Johnson's cakeism.
Promise anything, spend spend spend and when she can no longer deliver, leave it to somebody else to pick up the tab.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
The Madhouse economics of the UK.

I will shortly be paying £263.70 income tax TO the government.

I have just received the £150 government grant via council tax.

In November I will be receiving the double Winter Fuel Allowance of £600 from the government.

From about then I will be receiving via the fuel company over six months a further £400 from the government to help with energy costs.

Wouldn't it have been far simpler to just reduce the cost of living at source?
If you put money in people’s pockets, they will blow it on treats for themselves. ALL of the energy assistance should be in the form of credits on energy bills. We shouldn’t be seeing it in our bank accounts.

I put my £150 towards a new Garmin EDGE 1040 Solar and very nice it is too.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
sunny uplands............
From their [JCB, BP, British Sugars etc] point of view, once we leave the EU, the conservative government will be free to slash corporation tax to be 'competitive'. On this, I reckon they are reasonably successful.
The farmers on the other hand...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If you put money in people’s pockets, they will blow it on treats for themselves. ALL of the energy assistance should be in the form of credits on energy bills. We shouldn’t be seeing it in our bank accounts.

I agree in part, but remember, only the £150 and the Winter Fuel allowance increases were solely energy assistance. Since then the politicians references in respect of the forthcoming £400 have also been to the cost of living, since food and many incidental costs are rocketing.

As I remarked in an earlier post, the politicians would do better using the money to reduce the costs at source, making handouts unnecessary.

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

There will be some who rely on oil, gas cylinders, diesel generator, etc., suppliers of which operate very differently - usually pay on delivery or collection. Could make it difficult to manage. But those people should not be excluded.

Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Liz Truss' performance on TV (U-turn on regional pay boards) yesterday shows clearly that she is the best advantage Starmer could have hoped for in the next election.

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
"The Conservative Party has decided to make changes to enhance security around the ballot process".

To rule out fraud surely they should have to vote in person and present ID in the form of a UB40 or rent book?

• Agree
Reactions: esuark and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
"The Conservative Party has decided to make changes to enhance security around the ballot process".

To rule out fraud surely they should have to vote in person and present ID in the form of a UB40 or rent book?
However, the real fraud in this election is that either candidate should be standing rather than the voters not being eligible.

ein Clownpaar

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Liz Truss' performance on TV (U-turn on regional pay boards) yesterday shows clearly that she is the best advantage Starmer could have hoped for in the next election.
I have inadvertently become a truss superfan. she's about to comprehensively **** the conservative party so hard nadine dorries will seem like an intelligent safe pair of hands once the dust settle.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And meanwhile pretty good for Sunak too.

She really is as dumb as I originally thought. How anyone like her could have become a cabinet minister seems beyond belief. Little wonder we are in so much trouble if she represents the acceptable standard.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
And meanwhile pretty good for Sunak too.

She really is as dumb as I originally thought. How anyone like her could have become a cabinet minister seems beyond belief. Little wonder we are in so much trouble if she represents the acceptable standard.
I think she is like the person in the class who can sit and do their English exercises, or sums. Quite good at managing a narrowly focussed function. But fails when trying to manage the complexity of the real world.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The aircraft noise today has been astonishing - possibly more than we've ever before noticed. As if a WWII 1,000 bomber raid is preparing! But looks like one solitary aircraft:

Advertisers