Brexit, for once some facts.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
All the time the UK government seems to be working towards a no-deal outcome and actually that may be quite good for the government. May can collect 10% tariff on all cars in from Germany and I can see her wanting to keep the tariffs on Asian imported product.
Add those together this could be a good tax earner for the UK and politically an easy tax to enforce,much easier than say C4NIC.
KudosDave

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Would that be the Body, or the bike?:eek:
Not sure yet. Over the last 12 months I've picked up a couple of injuries through running. That's never happened before, so it must be a sign that I'm starting to lose the battle against age. It's a gradual decline towards death from here onwards.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Excellent just in from Tim Worstall:

"EU's Brexit Negotiating Gambit - Give Us What We Want Then We'll Talk Trade Later.

This is not, of course, how serious negotiation gets done. So think of this as just being an opening offer with a few more salvos to come yet. The European Union has laid out its stall over the Brexit negotiations. In effect, give us everything we demand right now and we'll talk about what you want later. When it's laid out that way it's obvious that that's not the way it is going to happen. You know, along the lines of nice try but no cigar:

The European Union offered Britain talks this year on a future free trade pact but made clear in negotiating guidelines issued on Friday that London must first agree to EU demands on the terms of Brexit.

Those include paying tens of billions of euros and giving residence rights to some 3 million EU citizens in Britain, the proposed negotiating objectives distributed by EU summit chair Donald Tusk to Britain's 27 EU partners showed.

That payment or even agreement to pay that sum isn't going to happen at all. For what the EU is counting there is absolutely everything they can dream up. Including even contingent payments on events which might not even happen. Further, they're not including whatever value Britain might regain from the capital assets of the EU itself. All those embassy buildings around the world are worth something, after all. So, that's not going to happen and nor is that guarantee on residence rights. It's pretty obvious what the final deal will be, those already here, and ours there--whichever ever side of the table you want to pretend to be--can stay but we'll be a bit more selective in new arrivals. But that's going to be something agreed at the end of the process given that this is a negotiation:

On trade, the U.K. was again reminded that leaving the EU single market would come at a cost and that Britain would not be able to adopt a "sector-by-sector approach" to winning access to it. Echoing a warning made by Germany, the EU also said any attempt to lure companies with lighter regulation and tax policies will damage the prospects for a trade deal.

There are actually mutterings that we'd have to agree to no tax or social competition at all. Something which is tantamount to having to adopt whatever future idiocies they adopt. Which rather goes against the idea of going really. And thus is another thing which simply will not be agreed to. Indeed, May has made it very clear that if we don't get a reasonable trade deal then we would, out of necessity, become a low tax and low regulation economy. All of which is fine by me of course, for it's the ability to become a low tax low regulation economy which is the attraction in the first place:

“Once and only once we have achieved sufficient progress on the withdrawal, can we discuss the framework for our future relationship,” EU Council President Donald Tusk said in Valletta, Malta.

He added “probably in the autumn, at least I hope so.”

And that again is the give us what we want first and then we'll negotiate about what you want, that trade relationship. And as to what I think is going to actually happen, we've two sides here. One is a single government committed to leaving. The other is a coalition of 27 countries, each with their own interests, plus the central bureaucracy of the European Union itself with its own interests. To be honest if the one united party can't negotiate rings around such a disparate group then they're not trying very hard.

It's also true that now that we've started the process it doesn't stop just because no deal is reached. It's two years from now and we're gone, deal or no deal. And the final kicker here is that no deal leaves us reverting to WTO rules. Which as far as I'm concerned are just fine anyway. Said rules meaning that what they can charge their own consumers for our exports are capped and we can abolish import duties altogether, for unilateral free trade is the only logically useful trade policy to have. Thus even if there are no agreements the end result would be a world better, in my regard, than this one. There's nothing we can possibly lose."

Reactions: gray198

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's a gradual decline towards death from here onwards.
Tell me about it, I'm currently awaiting the results of X-rays and blood test to find out why I'm currently in a weakened state with breathing problems.

Cheer up though Tillson, my death is much closer than yours.

• :D
Reactions: robdon and tillson

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Excellent just in from Tim Worstall:

"EU's Brexit Negotiating Gambit - Give Us What We Want Then We'll Talk Trade Later.

This is not, of course, how serious negotiation gets done. So think of this as just being an opening offer with a few more salvos to come yet. The European Union has laid out its stall over the Brexit negotiations. In effect, give us everything we demand right now and we'll talk about what you want later. When it's laid out that way it's obvious that that's not the way it is going to happen. You know, along the lines of nice try but no cigar:

The European Union offered Britain talks this year on a future free trade pact but made clear in negotiating guidelines issued on Friday that London must first agree to EU demands on the terms of Brexit.

Those include paying tens of billions of euros and giving residence rights to some 3 million EU citizens in Britain, the proposed negotiating objectives distributed by EU summit chair Donald Tusk to Britain's 27 EU partners showed.

That payment or even agreement to pay that sum isn't going to happen at all. For what the EU is counting there is absolutely everything they can dream up. Including even contingent payments on events which might not even happen. Further, they're not including whatever value Britain might regain from the capital assets of the EU itself. All those embassy buildings around the world are worth something, after all. So, that's not going to happen and nor is that guarantee on residence rights. It's pretty obvious what the final deal will be, those already here, and ours there--whichever ever side of the table you want to pretend to be--can stay but we'll be a bit more selective in new arrivals. But that's going to be something agreed at the end of the process given that this is a negotiation:

On trade, the U.K. was again reminded that leaving the EU single market would come at a cost and that Britain would not be able to adopt a "sector-by-sector approach" to winning access to it. Echoing a warning made by Germany, the EU also said any attempt to lure companies with lighter regulation and tax policies will damage the prospects for a trade deal.

There are actually mutterings that we'd have to agree to no tax or social competition at all. Something which is tantamount to having to adopt whatever future idiocies they adopt. Which rather goes against the idea of going really. And thus is another thing which simply will not be agreed to. Indeed, May has made it very clear that if we don't get a reasonable trade deal then we would, out of necessity, become a low tax and low regulation economy. All of which is fine by me of course, for it's the ability to become a low tax low regulation economy which is the attraction in the first place:

“Once and only once we have achieved sufficient progress on the withdrawal, can we discuss the framework for our future relationship,” EU Council President Donald Tusk said in Valletta, Malta.

He added “probably in the autumn, at least I hope so.”

And that again is the give us what we want first and then we'll negotiate about what you want, that trade relationship. And as to what I think is going to actually happen, we've two sides here. One is a single government committed to leaving. The other is a coalition of 27 countries, each with their own interests, plus the central bureaucracy of the European Union itself with its own interests. To be honest if the one united party can't negotiate rings around such a disparate group then they're not trying very hard.

It's also true that now that we've started the process it doesn't stop just because no deal is reached. It's two years from now and we're gone, deal or no deal. And the final kicker here is that no deal leaves us reverting to WTO rules. Which as far as I'm concerned are just fine anyway. Said rules meaning that what they can charge their own consumers for our exports are capped and we can abolish import duties altogether, for unilateral free trade is the only logically useful trade policy to have. Thus even if there are no agreements the end result would be a world better, in my regard, than this one. There's nothing we can possibly lose."
Truly you don't have to be Daft to be a Brexit Fan, but obviously you have found it helps you to deny the obvious facts even when they trip you up..

Your attitude is rather like that of Brian London after his Catastrophic defeat by Muhhamad Ali, when he retorted to an observation from Harry Carpenter
That he had been outclassed.

"I had him worried in the Third round!"
Carpenter Gasped in surprise and spluttered
"How could you possibly believe that?"
Brian London grinned ,wiped away the blood from his face and said.
"He thought he'd killed me!"

Guess which is the Brian London in the contest between the EU and the UK?

To demonstrate the paucity of your thinking with just a sample of your nonsense
"To be honest if the one united party can't negotiate rings around such a disparate group then they're not trying very hard."

Hasn't the penny dropped that the Brexit politicians want to be out of the EU because they feel they have been unable to do that for Forty years?
They have as much chance as doing that as you have of taking sense.
Sorry I shouldn't laugh at you, but you really should have better material to argue with, or get help.:D:D:D

Reactions: robdon and oldtom

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Remainers are missing out on the bigger picture. If there is no deal then fair enough, nobody wins.
But if there is a deal, then let's see.
If the deal is too advantageous to the EU, then it would give credit to the idea that 'they want to punish us' and fan the flame for nationalism.
If the deal is equitable then I bet Ireland would be next to leave.
Even if we crash out without an immediate deal, a deal will come in a few years. Whichever way you look at it, bullyism does not pay in this case and I reckon Ireland would follow brexit.

Remainers are missing out on the bigger picture. If there is no deal then fair enough, nobody wins.
If the deal is too advantageous to the EU, then it would give credit to the idea that 'they want to punish us' and fan the flame for nationalism.
Isn't this supposed to be a positive for the UK? I and others can give you many reasons why it won't be, but you're supposed to be selling the great brexit dream to us. This "bigger picture" ... what is it?

Bullet points would be good, so I can research them and come back happy that I've learnt something thats improved my current concerns, or question them so you can give more depth to your point of view.

Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Even if we crash out without an immediate deal, a deal will come in a few years. Whichever way you look at it, I reckon Ireland would follow brexit.
Remainers are not missing out on the Bigger picture?, that is entirely the remit of the little England leave voters, are you trying to get a job as a daily Mail journalist?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
No, I follow the exchange rate GBP vs EUR.
The Pound sank against the Euro before the 29th March.
As the position of the UK and EU become clear, the Pound rose 0.28% against the Euro today after Donald Tusk plan is made public.
Maybe the market is saying bullyism won't work.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
No, I follow the exchange rate GBP vs EUR.
The Pound sank against the Euro before the 29th March.
As the position of the UK and EU become clear, the Pound rose 0.28% against the Euro today after Donald Tusk plan is made public.
Maybe the market is saying bullyism won't work.
Which means of course they haven't got a swindle under way today, nothing more, nothing less.
Maybe the market has already said all it has to say at this point.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Maybe the market has already said all it has to say at this point.
Yes, there is a saying 'the market is always right'
meaning the price of the Pound is correct at this moment after all factors are taken into account.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
And as to what I think is going to actually happen, we've two sides here. One is a single government committed to leaving. The other is a coalition of 27 countries, each with their own interests, plus the central bureaucracy of the European Union itself with its own interests. To be honest if the one united party can't negotiate rings around such a disparate group then they're not trying very hard.
In response to this paragraph I offer this as an example of the sort of people we have negotiating allegedly on our behalf
"
Brexit: Theresa May forced into embarrassing climbdown over Article 50 negotiations security 'threat'
Two of the most senior EU politicians said they would accept it was a ‘misunderstanding’
heresa May has been forced to explain herself to top European politicians after her plan to link security cooperation to trade bargaining with the EU sparked anger on the continent.

Current holder of the EU rotating presidency Joseph Muscat and President of the European Council Donald Tusk said that following calls from London, they would take the British Government’s word that it had been a “misunderstanding”.

Ms May’s repeated connecting of security and trade issues in her letter triggering Article 50 led political leaders in both Brussels and London to claim that she was threatening to withdraw help in the fight against terrorism, in a bid to extract good trade terms. Downing Street later denied it.

Already they are having to make allowances for the stupidity of our prime minister,
Brexit; Lions lead by Braying Asses.
:cool:

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
oldtom, you gave me another bad spelling tick on post #13877
What's wrong with my spelling this time?

Advertisers