Brexit, for once some facts.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
A few years ago Cambridge did an investigation into how we actually read. Apparently our brains "read" first and last letter , pick up signs from centre ...and fills rest in automatically. I,ll try and find passage they wrote to prove point..
It had / has massive ramifications on how we teach reading..( or how we actually learn)
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe

Spookily, this was used during a course that I was attending earlier this week.

Reactions: Zlatan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Expecting rools of gramer and spelling along with correct use of punctuation on a forum is barmy ...'!
I can't agree. Large blocks of text on screen with no punctuation or capitalisation are often so difficult to read that I ignore them. The division between sentences is important, since when displaced, meanings can be changed.

And good manners come into play as well. When someone is asking for help, the least they should do is make their question clear.

Reactions: jdallan and robdon

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I can't agree. Large blocks of text on screen with no punctuation or capitalisation are often so difficult to read that I ignore them. The division between sentences is important, since when displaced, meanings can be changed.

And good manners come into play as well. When someone is asking for help, the least they should do is make their question clear.
That's far more than miss spelling words Flecc, which is not exactly what I said . I,d guess you read the Cambridge passage ? It proves spelling isn't as important as people suggest.

• Disagree
Reactions: Croxden and robdon

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Remainers are missing out on the bigger picture. If there is no deal then fair enough, nobody wins.
But if there is a deal, then let's see.
If the deal is too advantageous to the EU, then it would give credit to the idea that 'they want to punish us' and fan the flame for nationalism.
If the deal is equitable then I bet Ireland would be next to leave.
Even if we crash out without an immediate deal, a deal will come in a few years. Whichever way you look at it, bullyism does not pay in this case and I reckon Ireland would follow brexit.
Huh? If there's no deal nobody wins? Not so my friend. If there is no deal we still win because we have gotten out of a failing trade cartel - we'll be able to repeal whatever of those laws we are now bringing on to our books (for that very reason) - we'll have control of our borders - etc. No deal is just fine - its still a win for us.

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and tillson

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Flat Cap OG..yorkshiremen do not wear hats.
Flecc send your nephew to Hull,there,s a couple of Bulls eyes spinning around in co op window there. They,d make perfect targets, for long long range..they are big.
Your knowledge of Yorkshire has let you down badly, but that's only on a par will other areas, surely you haven't already put yourself into the co-op window?

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Huh? If there's no deal nobody wins? Not so my friend. If there is no deal we still win because we have gotten out of a failing trade cartel - we'll be able to repeal whatever of those laws we are now bringing on to our books (for that very reason) - we'll have control of our borders - etc. No deal is just fine - its still a win for us.
Who are you kidding? we are going downhill while enjoying the advantages of being in the EU, leaving will only grease the wheels and increase the speed of descent, but there is bright news for the EU.
They have got rid of a dead weight holding back progress, and we will end up having to sing to their tune without having any means to change it.

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Spelling correctly is a relatively modern phenomenon. Not that long ago words were spelt how you liked , as long as reader comprehends ,spelling is inconsequential. Shakespeare used various spellings for same word regularly.
Expecting rools of gramer and spelling along with correct use of punctuation on a forum is barmy ...'!
By the way

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe..

Bet Tom says its written by a fascist.,or an iodot., or a riacst...but perhaps Tom is still reading i n d i v i d u a l letters. He must be.
If you are better at reading than Tom, how come you still keep getting the wrong end of the stick?
Is it a case of the T shirt slogan
"They can send me to University but they can't make me think?"

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Lets make a forecast here
The EU will agree to a transitional deal that avoids Tariff problems and includes limited movement of people, and safety of residence both ways
The government will hail this as a big victory and crack on with damaging the rights of the UK Public
Within five years this countries economy will have shrunk and become a Tax haven for the rich, as threatened, and a dumping ground for cheap Chinese Goods.
The Brexit voters (apart from the piratical element operating in the grey economy ) will realise that Brexit was all another con.
There will be social unrest.
In the meantime free of the Burden of having to pander to the UK's contunuous and rather childish calls for special treatment, the EU will move ever closer to being a superstate, and simply won't want us back, as we have nothing to offer, but a history of being a troublemaker.
We won't need to protect our borders, as no one will want to come here, and in any case we can't even afford to now, so there will be no chance in the future.

• Agree

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
There is no such word as " Brexit"
For the moment, 'Brexit' does not appear in the OED but the Cambridge Dictionary, a faster-moving work, has it. Wikipedia and the supplied dictionary on Apple computers also include an entry.

When the OED committee responsible for considering new words for inclusion, as well as removing defunct words to an archive facility, next convenes, I'd hazard that 'Brexit' will find its way into the OED. Keeping the OED updated is a constant, ongoing task and reflects the evolution of the English language.

It is difficult to imagine that a word which has become so prominent in the minds of the public due to its daily inclusion in all forms of media for at least the last year will fail to merit inclusion in the foremost work on the English language.

Tom

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Here is a sign of how idiotic this Government is
"
BREXIT BORDERS: Michael Gove claims Britain will have FREE MOVEMENT – but with a catch
BREXITEER Michael Gove has claimed EU citizens will still be able to ‘freely’ come to Britain after the UK exits the bloc.

But the former Justice Secretary has claimed migrants would not have the same access to jobs, benefits or the NHS.

Mr Gove said: “One of the things that I envisage is, after we leave the European Union, EU citizens will be able to move freely into the UK.

“It is just they won’t have the same rights to work and secure access to public services and welfare benefits.

Perhaps he should seek legal advice over what their PRESENT rights are?

And what happened to the promise to STOP free movement?
Another lie about Brexit

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
we'll have control of our borders
Really! Are you suggesting that we don't have that now? Perhaps you think we had better controls in place pre-1973 but unless my memory is letting me down, I don't think we did.

I'd be interested to know exactly how some new form of border control will work. For example, will it include more staff, new gunboats, extra air support monitoring the coastline, or some kind of Home Guard comprised of Britain First/EDL volunteers linking arms around our coastline night and day, prepared to die for their country?

Do explain how you envisage how such new-found control will work.

Tom

• Agree

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
After fruitlessly searching for some information about how UK border security will change after secession, I can only guess that this is what 'OxygenJames' has in mind when he pontificates about control of our borders:

IMG_0371.jpg

In this snapshot, these uniformed guardians of our imperial nation and commonwealth stand ready to defend us against any invader while waiting for the autocue to roll over to the next line of the Churchill speech that includes:

We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

I'm sure we'll all sleep easier in our beds tonight!

Tom

• Agree

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Who are you kidding? we are going downhill while enjoying the advantages of being in the EU, leaving will only grease the wheels and increase the speed of descent, but there is bright news for the EU.
They have got rid of a dead weight holding back progress, and we will end up having to sing to their tune without having any means to change it.
You say that the UK is holding back EU progress. Progress towards what? What is the ultimate aim and do we really want to be there?

I think the EU has some very difficult and potentially catastrophic challenges ahead, in particular the basket case economies that they have hoovered up during their over ambitious expansion phase.

The U.K. may well experience some initial pain as a result of exiting the EU, but I think there is greater pain further down track, which will be more intense and prolonged if we remain.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
If you are better at reading than Tom, how come you still keep getting the wrong end of the stick?"
That's called perception and it's no got anything to do with an ability to read. We read information, process it and then form a conclusion. Your perception is that he reaches the wrong conclusion, but that is in no way linked to reading ability.

• Dislike

Advertisers