Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Did everyone complain that the 1915 passport was a vital part of their national identity?
Not many people had reason to leave these shores back then and as we owned half the known world, places from which we stole traded with the local natives for whatever they had to offer and I don't suppose anyone ever said, 'Do you have a passport?'

Moreover, I'll take a wild guess here and say that hundreds of thousands of British troops crossed the channel between 1914-1919 and I doubt any of those had a passport.;)

Tom

Reactions: robdon and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Not many people had reason to leave these shores back then and as we owned half the known world, places from which we stole traded with the local natives for whatever they had to offer and I don't suppose anyone ever said, 'Do you have a passport?'

Moreover, I'll take a wild guess here and say that hundreds of thousands of British troops crossed the channel between 1914-1919 and I doubt any of those had a passport.;)

Tom
Apparently, nurses did need passports. (Just found.)

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Tom
Grandad had one of these Military identity tags, usually in metal or compressed fibre, are discs designed to be worn at all times and to record an individual’s identity. The British Army introduced them in 1907. They were produced within each unit, and stamped with key information, typically service number, surname and initials, regiment, and sometimes battalion and rank. Religion was also indicated.
And Father and his three brothers too in World war 2

But no passport, and we had identity cards, and I still have mine

• Informative

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Trump has posted a truly helpful Tweet

Just when @theresa_may thought it could not get worse, @realDonaldTrump says "sounds like a great deal for the EU...Right now as the deal stands they [UK] may not be able to trade with the US. I don't think they want that at all, that would be a very big negative for the deal"

• Informative

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Assuming May’s deal gets voted down and she decides to go for a people’s vote,what happens if Corbyn gets spiteful and votes that down as well....May could be trapped,even a GE may not be possible requiring 2/3 rds majority....that would be a real constitutional crisis,how do we get out of this mess???
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Trump has posted a truly helpful Tweet

Just when @theresa_may thought it could not get worse, @realDonaldTrump says "sounds like a great deal for the EU...Right now as the deal stands they [UK] may not be able to trade with the US. I don't think they want that at all, that would be a very big negative for the deal"
Is that the same Trump who said that we could have ‘a very powerful trade deal with the U.K.’
Actually I am finding the situation that May has put herself in,quite amusing.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Assuming May’s deal gets voted down and she decides to go for a people’s vote,what happens if Corbyn gets spiteful and votes that down as well....May could be trapped,even a GE may not be possible requiring 2/3 rds majority....that would be a real constitutional crisis,how do we get out of this mess???
KudosDave

We either get a deal we can agree on. Or we just leave and use the two years to properly negotiate the exit.

It’s going to be fine. I doubt you will see much of an upheaval.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
We either get a deal we can agree on. Or we just leave and use the two years to properly negotiate the exit.

It’s going to be fine. I doubt you will see much of an upheaval.
Slight drawback if we "just leave" we don't get the two years, do we?
And in "just leaving" there isn't an exit to negotiate.
May I suggest what you actually intended was to say negotiate a Trade deal?
And as an example The Canada-EU trade agreement has taken seven years so far
That is just the beginning of the problem.The EU has existing PTAs with 52 countries, and it is negotiating trade agreements with another 72 countries. In case of Brexit, the UK would therefore need to re-negotiate or start new bilateral negotiations on 124 trade agreements, plus one additional trade agreement re-defining its own trade status as a third country vis-à-vis the EU.
So to get back to where we are today we need 125 trade agreements as quickly as possible

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Errr…..'Dear EU, sorry!' Is it ok if we just stay on the terms we have had previously?'

I reckon that ought to do it.

Tom
I think it needs to be in the three procedural languages...

'Dear EU, sorry!' Is it ok if we just stay on the terms we have had previously?'

"Liebe EU, Entschuldigung!" Ist es in Ordnung, wenn wir uns an die Bedingungen halten, die wir zuvor hatten? '

'Chère UE, désolée!' Est-ce que ça va si nous restons dans les conditions que nous avons eues auparavant?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Are there any unmarried royals who could get wed and have a right royal wedding? That would take our mind off it.
The tradition is for one of our unmarried royals to marry one from the country with which we want a happy relationship.

Oh dear. Germany and France are republics.

Reactions: robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
KudosDave
she is not going for a second referendum. She will call JC's bluff, do nothing. JC will be forced to ask MPs to vote again on TM's deal. This time, more Labour remainers will chicken out and vote for her deal.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
The tradition is for one of our unmarried royals to marry one from the country with which we want a happy relationship.

Oh dear. Germany and France are republics.
If we had 27 unmarried royals, we could marry one to every country left in the EU. Mrs. May would then have an easy job.

• :D

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
A loaded gun is a very effective passport. :eek:
That is true. But I certainly remember my father very much needing his passport in the RAF. Maybe being in occupied Berlin and travelling to East Berlin and along the transport corridors was a factor?

I also wonder if the potential of coming down in a country other than ally or enemy also makes carrying a passport a simple sensible precaution.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and robdon

Advertisers