Brexit, for once some facts.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Slight drawback if we "just leave" we don't get the two years, do we?
And in "just leaving" there isn't an exit to negotiate.
May I suggest what you actually intended was to say negotiate a Trade deal?
And as an example The Canada-EU trade agreement has taken seven years so far
That is just the beginning of the problem.The EU has existing PTAs with 52 countries, and it is negotiating trade agreements with another 72 countries. In case of Brexit, the UK would therefore need to re-negotiate or start new bilateral negotiations on 124 trade agreements, plus one additional trade agreement re-defining its own trade status as a third country vis-à-vis the EU.
So to get back to where we are today we need 125 trade agreements as quickly as possible

You have to remember.

There is no framework for leaving. We are making this up as we go along.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
You have to remember.

There is no framework for leaving. We are making this up as we go along.
I'm afraid that sums up quite well the problem.
It's not a responsible way to run a country, too many imponderables
Far too risky andwe have no idea of what we are trying to do,except perhaps end up where we are right now without suffering too much damage in the process.
And at the same time we desperately need to make the right decisions and get positive results
It's not as if we have the Politicians capable of taking on such an onerous task is it?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and oyster

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
If we had 27 unmarried royals, we could marry one to every country left in the EU. Mrs. May would then have an easy job.
I think the Buck-House Benefit Brigade are right out of weddings for the foreseeable future so as Phil and Betty seem determined to live forever, the only alternative way to bury all the bad news and allow May's deal to be slipped in is some kind of natural disaster or if the Argies invade the Falklands again…..alternatively, perhaps a flu epidemic.

To ensure remaining in the EU, however, is easier. If the EU were to say that no English football clubs will be allowed entry into European competitions after this season and the National team will be disbarred from the European Championships, the 'Brexidiots' would very quickly become an endangered species!

Sadly, the EU does not have control over such matters.

Tom

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Not the 'Dear EU, sorry!' that we might want...
  • May said she was wrong to complain about EU workers being able to “jump the queue” under free market rules in a speech to the CBI last week. She made the rare admission that she had made a mistake in response to a question from the SNP’s Philippa Whitford, who said:
Last week, the prime minister managed to insult and upset over 3 million European citizens who live and work in this country. Over 150,000 of them, like my German husband, a GP here for over 30 years, felt absolutely thrown away when they have spent decades here looking after us when we’re ill. Will the prime minister take this opportunity perhaps to apologise for her thoughtless and insulting comments?

In response May said:

I should not have used that language in that speech. The point I was making was a simple one … I think there was a point that for most people here in the United Kingdom, they want to see people coming to this country with the skills and wanting to make a contribution – her husband has made a contribution as a GP here in this country.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2018/nov/26/brexit-may-commons-statement-economy-would-be-4-smaller-after-10-years-under-mays-brexit-plan-says-report-politics-live

Reactions: robdon

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
To ensure remaining in the EU, however, is easier. If the EU were to say that no English football clubs will be allowed entry into European competitions after this season and the National team will be disbarred from the European Championships, the 'Brexidiots' would very quickly become an endangered species!

Tom
If the EU said that. Most of us up here would definitely vote to leave. )

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
But we need to be very quick indeed about it

I think it will take as long as it needs tbh. If we get it right the first time then that will save time.

It does seem to me that dealing with Juncker/Barnier direct isn’t going to work. We need to know what aspects other countries want over a larger, more broad stroke type of agreement such as EU citizen rights, security, movement etc.

That’s where May has gone wrong. She honestly thought that Brexit meant immigration. We are an open country except not to illegal or immigration that gives migrants more rights than folk who have lived here for generations.

A lot of papers thought that but not as many voters thought that. This was always about trade.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I think the Buck-House Benefit Brigade are right out of weddings for the foreseeable future so as Phil and Betty seem determined to live forever, the only alternative way to bury all the bad news and allow May's deal to be slipped in is some kind of natural disaster or if the Argies invade the Falklands again…..alternatively, perhaps a flu epidemic.

Tom
Though they do have control over people entering the EU to work - which the footballers are paid to do.

(There's bound to be some over-arching international law that puts the rights of sports people to make a fortune ahead of ordinary folk getting a crust.)

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom and robdon

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I think it will take as long as it needs tbh. If we get it right the first time then that will save time.

It does seem to me that dealing with Juncker/Barnier direct isn’t going to work. We need to know what aspects other countries want over a larger, more broad stroke type of agreement such as EU citizen rights, security, movement etc.

That’s where May has gone wrong. She honestly thought that Brexit meant immigration. We are an open country except not to illegal or immigration that gives migrants more rights than folk who have lived here for generations.

A lot of papers thought that but not as many voters thought that. This was always about trade.
I looked for the "clueless" button but couldn't find one...

You aren't dealing with representatives you are dealing with 27 sovereign nations who make up the EU.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
I looked for the "clueless" button but couldn't find one...

You aren't dealing with representatives you are dealing with 27 sovereign nations who make up the EU.

Yeah, there’s quite a lot different emojis we could use on here.

Try and keep it civil though eh?

And try and read and comprehend what I am saying before you post insults like the chuckle brothers do.

• Dislike
Reactions: daveboy and robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Are you suggesting that the majority of leave voters gave a high priority to trade?
I find that surprising, but perhaps you can indicate what makes that a likely scenario?
It does indeed motivate politicians, but the public? are there any polls to indicate this is true?

Reactions: oyster and robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Yeah, there’s quite a lot different emojis we could use on here.

Try and keep it civil though eh?

And try and read and comprehend what I am saying before you post insults like the chuckle brothers do.
You were doing so well but had a lapse there

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Are you suggesting that the majority of leave voters gave a high priority to trade?
I find that surprising, but perhaps you can indicate what makes that a likely scenario?
It does indeed motivate politicians, but the public? are there any polls to indicate this is true?

I think borders sovereignty was a huge issue but ultimately people just want a trade deal with European countries. We didn’t want an army. A federation etc.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
We either get a deal we can agree on. Or we just leave and use the two years to properly negotiate the exit.

It’s going to be fine. I doubt you will see much of an upheaval.
Can I remind you that on March 30 ,with no deal, we immediately lose access to the 60 plus trade deals that we have access to because we are an EU member,we have no transition period,it will be a cliff edge....Fingers,perhaps you could tell us what we can do about that??
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oyster

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Can I remind you that on March 30 ,with no deal, we immediately lose access to the 60 plus trade deals that we have access to because we are an EU member,we have no transition period,it will be a cliff edge....Fingers,perhaps you could tell us what we can do about that??
KudosDave

Sure.

The exit period will be extended as we come to an agreement over a trade deal that respects each members wishes including ours.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
I'm afraid that sums up quite well the problem.
It's not a responsible way to run a country, too many imponderables
Far too risky andwe have no idea of what we are trying to do,except perhaps end up where we are right now without suffering too much damage in the process.
And at the same time we desperately need to make the right decisions and get positive results
It's not as if we have the Politicians capable of taking on such an onerous task is it?

I certainly agree on the last point.

But we can have unknown knowables. We can realise that we do have certain things that are very real Red lines for other member states.

France wants fishing rights. Germans want tarrif free car imports. Spain wants fruit. Italians want cars too. And all want access to sell their booze. There is a myriad of others.

We just need people to strike the right deals

But your last point is valid.

For once.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Again @robdon you are the biggest Eunuch on here.

Lol.

You do make me laugh.

Have a voice. You will be backed up by the chuckle brothers. Or whatever they called in the muppet days. Stadler and Waldorf I think they were,

Be brave.

I swear on my mums life I will not say a word for two days.

Have a free hit.

Come in mate. Come in.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
We either get a deal we can agree on. Or we just leave and use the two years to properly negotiate the exit.

It’s going to be fine. I doubt you will see much of an upheaval.
What two years are you referring to?. They are part of the DEAL as currently agreed by 28 heads of Government (yes. 28 is not a typo). If there is no deal,then there is no two years

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
That is true. But I certainly remember my father very much needing his passport in the RAF. Maybe being in occupied Berlin and travelling to East Berlin and along the transport corridors was a factor?

I also wonder if the potential of coming down in a country other than ally or enemy also makes carrying a passport a simple sensible precaution.
Slight typo.. if he was in West Berlin, he needed to use the concession road of 100 km through East German territory,to reach the border with West Germany. .. I did this journey once. You were timed,and were not allowed to leave the autobahn.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

Advertisers