Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
An interesting talk show on the de-industrialisation of France last night - French industry is going the same way as UK industry. Why? Not enough investment in robotics, worker traing, R&D, etc. Germany, Italy and Spain (!) don't have failing industry because they have invested in all of those things. Like the UK, France has invested in those areas in one sector - armement...
As education equalises the opportunities for industrial progress to a lot of second tier countries, UK and France have little left to hold on to.
Armement is one of those.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
And you imagine this man who regards decimation of what little manufacturing capacity we have as necessary and inevitable is some sort of Guru?
It merely proves that education does not bring wisdom automatically nor empathy for the fate of others.
There were plenty of well educated Fascists in the last century remember?
You have to wonder how much damage he is doing to the students on a daily basis.
Tempted to reference M.I.N.F. ....

Reactions: robdon

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Pft Zurich / Paris - Have you no ambition! - This UKIP candidate wants dominion of the stars (funded from the post-Brexit £350 million money tree I assume) and a new glorious British Imperial Space Empire

South Suffolk UKIP hopeful aims for interstellar travel

He says he would like the government to: “Offer £1.2 billion worth of prizes, in the form of share capital, to the companies that win competitions to:

a) Design an interstellar colony ship.

b) Profitably mine the asteroid belt for water and/or platinum, so long as they do so by 2026.

c) That convert the ML86X design into a flying aircraft carrier. This is a giant airship being designed by an American company as a cargo-carrier.

In more down to earth policies, he wants the government offer British citizenship to all EU citizens living in the UK, to increase the army by 16,000, take £157bn less a year from taxpayers, and cut the price of housing by 70% over the next 50 years.

Mr Powlesland said technology was rapidly advancing and research was already being undertaken into designing a tiny spaceship that could travel fast enough to reach the nearest start system.

and so it begins from small acorns, though lack of EU funding might make it problematic...

U.K. selects Scottish spaceport site

The U.K. Space Agency said that, in addition to the funding for the Sutherland launch site, it will offer 2 million pounds to support development of horizontal launch sites “subject to business case.”
Well Brexit must mean exiting Britain!.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Germany, Italy and Spain (!) don't have failing industry because they have invested in all of those things.
Probably being locally close to an area affects your view, but for me looking from afar, the inclusion of Spain doesn't surprise me at all. They've been well up to the game for decades, successfully establishing joint high tech vehicle and aircraft manufacturing facilities for major companies. Advanced construction too, and top class research facilities:

Information link

• Agree

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
As it's the Christmas season, once again this has popped up on my FB a/c and I'd like to share the sentiment with those decent people today who would not have turned away Mary & Joseph, had they been in Bethlehem 2018 years ago.

Tom

It’s nice that you believe in fairy tales.

What’s your view on the three little pigs? Capitilist swine or jams with a good work ethos?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
BREXIT CHAOS: Corbyn puts May BACK ON BRINK… before REES-MOGG rides to shock rescue
In the Express we have more proof of the duplicity of the leave campaign ERG group, who were entirely against the Chequers deal but when push comes to shove this happens
"Mr Rees-Mogg said in the Commons: "May I congratulate the Prime Minister on winning the confidence of the Conservatives in this House last week and assure her that she therefore commands my confidence too."
Mr Rees-Mogg explained his surprise change in tack by putting his comments down to festive cheer.
“At Christmas it is wrong to be a dog in the manger, that is where a baby belongs,” he said.
A stony-faced Mrs May thanked him for his support as she updated MPs on Brexit.
Conservative Steve Baker, a key lieutenant in the plot to eject Mrs May, said: “Eurosceptic Conservatives are clear that we accept the democratic decision of our party to have confidence in Theresa May as PM.”

Interesting and revealing that he believes a "Baby belongs in a Manger"

No wonder our trolls on here are so active,this duplicity and incompetence on the part of their heros must be unsettling to their religious belief in Brexit
And tellingly they can think of nothing to say to defend it, so what else can they do other than prance about trying to be funny, in the hope of spoiling a debate that reveals the true damage their Brexit fetish is doing.
One can imagine the headlines.... "Tory MP slashes maternity hospital costs".. straw is eco-friendly

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It seems I have risen in my own estimation!!. I am now esteemed...now if I could only get my family to believe that!.
However I note that Fingers is equally esteemed, ..
So talk about being damned by faint praise.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
It seems I have risen in my own estimation!!. I am now esteemed...now if I could only get my family to believe that!.

Congratulations.

The best Christmas presents are often the ones you’ve earned.

Well done!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It seems almost all are now shown as "Esteemed Pedelecers". Old Tom, Old Groaner and many historic members too.

I've happily just stayed as Member, never liked titles.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It seems almost all are now shown as "Esteemed Pedelecers". Old Tom, Old Groaner and many historic members too.

But how do you choose to remain just a member? I've never consciously requested being elevated to being esteemed.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But how do you choose to remain just a member? I've never consciously requested being elevated to being esteemed.
Could be due to history, just for me.

As pedelecs first member when the site opened and giving most of the technical help, I was given the title Guru by the administrators. That later caused great annoyance with a newer member who also gave considerable technical help but who resented me having that title enough to go on the attack in his posts.

So I made it clear I didn't want any title and at my request the administrators removed it. So it seems they've remembered my preference to be just an ordinary member.

Last edited:

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Having steadily worked myself up the greasy pole in a former life before sliding down again, I'd prefer now to remain as basic-grade, dog-soldier, ordinary member of this fantastic e-biking forum so can I change this unwelcome appellation or, if not, can someone in admin do it for me?

Tom

Reactions: robdon and oyster

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Having steadily worked myself up the greasy pole in a former life before sliding down again, I'd prefer now to remain as basic-grade, dog-soldier, ordinary member of this fantastic e-biking forum so can I change this unwelcome appellation or, if not, can someone in admin do it for me?

Tom

No. You can’t change it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Tom
In those early days when I had that Guru title, there was a scale of titles based on how many posts a member made.

Answering a query on that I made this post

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
More in the nature of being branded
"Accomplice after the fact" don't you think,
It's all right for flecc he can go around boasting about his "member" :oops:

Advertisers