Brexit, for once some facts.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
In one sense many of us do that already, living in flats as I do. Our heating transfer benefits the whole building, we share all the maintenance and gardening costs and often help others such as in giving lifts or clearing bulky refuse.
And saying Good day when we meet, and chatting in the commons. I don't heat much, I live in an RT2012 building so maybe a couple of hours a day when it is bellow 4° C outside. :)

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
And saying Good day when we meet, and chatting in the commons. I don't heat much, I live in an RT2012 building so maybe a couple of hours a day when it is bellow 4° C outside. :)

My heating bill is near 150 a month.

For a 2 bed flat.

Can I come and live with you?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My heating bill is near 150 a month.

For a 2 bed flat.

Can I come and live with you?
You have to apply for social housing in France. There is a waiting list of 340 here. And unfortunately my living room is being used to build a small dinghy at the moment so sorry the convertible sofa is unavailable for a while... Energy bill including tax and more tax and even more tax is about 65 € a month for a 43 square metre one bedroom flat.

Today I am heating all day because I want the epoxy to cure before about 9 p.m. :)

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
This might have some relevance to Tommie.
John Bruton is an ex Taoisheach.. our version of Prime Minister, subsequent to that he was our representative to the EU, and then they selected him to be the EU Ambassador to USA. .. That is the kind of person little old Ireland sends to the EU. .... Slow, considerate,and decisive

Mr Bruton stressed the importance of safeguarding the Good Friday Agreement and to ensure that neither nationalist nor unionist communities in Northern Ireland are isolated.

"We changed our Constitution, and took certain articles out of our Constitution, in return for an international commitment from Britain to the Belfast Agreement which guaranteed fair treatment of both communities in Northern Ireland, that neither community would be isolated," he said.

"We changed our Constitution to make that deal and then Britain comes along unilaterally and essentially decides to tear that up in proceeding with Brexit.

That's why we would insist on the backstop to protect the Good Friday Agreement so that Britain can't do that.

Commenting on reports that the Northern Ireland Secretary, Karen Bradley, warned that a poll on a united Ireland would be more likely in the event of a no-deal Brexit, Mr Bruton said there was "no great threat" of this.

"I think the Union is secure because the Belfast Agreement says clearly that Northern Ireland will remain part of the United Kingdom unless and until, by a free majority decision, the population in Northern Ireland decide to change that and I don't think that's going to happen in the near future.

"I certainly don't think that we should make a big change like that in a referendum on the basis of 52% to 48% majority because we have seen with Brexit how divisive that can be," he said.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
well, whatever anyone else says, let me assure you, my honorable fellow forumite, that i find your conversion from thread sabotaging troll to dear old friend every bit as compelling as i am preparing to find boris' and gove's to remain after the second referendum. it emphatically does not seem like a charm offensive. nudge, nudge. wink, wink.
You need to aim lower to reach that particar character

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
You have to apply for social housing in France. There is a waiting list of 340 here. And unfortunately my living room is being used to build a small dinghy at the moment so sorry the convertible sofa is unavailable for a while... Energy bill including tax and more tax and even more tax is about 65 € a month for a 43 square metre one bedroom flat.

Today I am heating all day because I want the epoxy to cure before about 9 p.m. :)

Is that a yes or no?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Liam Fox Tweeted a great "Big lie"
[B]Dr Liam Fox MP[/B]‏Verified account @[B]LiamFox[/B]

British farmers & food producers will be able to export beef & lamb to Japan for the 1st time in over 20yrs, opening access to one of the world's fastest growing markets. #FreeTradeUK Another example of DIT trade negotiators banging the drum for top quality
produce.

You just have to laugh!
Here is one reaction
[B]Billy the Kid[/B]‏ @[B]Bittoeat[/B] Jan 9
Replying to @[B]LiamFox[/B] @[B]natalieblackuk[/B]
If anyone is looking for an idea of why politicians are held in such low regard this is an example. A uk Government Minister openly lying. This was an EU brokered deal. Nothing to do with DIT negotiators. And he knows this but lies to you anyway.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Liam Fox Tweeted a great "Big lie"
[B]Dr Liam Fox MP[/B]‏Verified account @[B]LiamFox[/B]

British farmers & food producers will be able to export beef & lamb to Japan for the 1st time in over 20yrs, opening access to one of the world's fastest growing markets. #FreeTradeUK Another example of DIT trade negotiators banging the drum for top quality
produce.

You just have to laugh!
Here is one reaction
[B]Billy the Kid[/B]‏ @[B]Bittoeat[/B] Jan 9
Replying to @[B]LiamFox[/B] @[B]natalieblackuk[/B]
If anyone is looking for an idea of why politicians are held in such low regard this is an example. A uk Government Minister openly lying. This was an EU brokered deal. Nothing to do with DIT negotiators. And he knows this but lies to you anyway.
ROTFLMAO so the ageing Japanese population has taken to eating lamb and beef finally!

Dairy products, eggs, honey, edible products $365.15M
Edible fruits, nuts, peel of citrus fruit, melons $313.34M
Meat and edible meat offal $192.89M

These are NZ dollars of course. Such big meat eaters the Japanese...

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Its not going to happen though Tommie.???
My bet would now be May's deal to collapse... And then ref 2?? (With remain or no deal as options)
JC will ask for a GE but it wont get called.
Assuming that is we can extend Art 50 long enough to arrange ref2... Which EU will grab with both greedy mits..!!
It really is getting very very interesting - because nobody knows. Extending Article 50 would be political suicide for the Torys (as if they haven't already done that) - May's deal won't get through - assuming it loses by not too much (less than 100? - realistically the whips might think they stand a chance if its nearer to 30) - she might try to come back after a 3-day spin around the EU to get some kind of concession - probably still won't get through. Parliament being as it will is unlikely to allow a no-deal. There's little enough time to get a new act through it either way though. So WTF is going to happen? Constitutional crisis or what?

btw - anybody who didn't watch the Brexit movie on C4 the other night - well worth a watch.

I see that fanatical Pro-Brexit idiot was arrested - not before time. Calling people Nazis does not help the cause.

Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
realistically the whips might think they stand a chance if its nearer to 30) - she might try to come back after a 3-day spin around the EU to get some kind of concession -
the EU may give her some warm worded letter but nothing concrete on the backstop if they think she still can't get her deal through.
The only way out for her is to do a deal with JC. Give him his early GE after he supports her deal.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the EU may give her some warm worded letter but nothing concrete on the backstop if they think she still can't get her deal through.
The only way out for her is to do a deal with JC. Give him his early GE after he supports her deal.
That's the most likely way to get her deal through, also enabling her to go out on a win.

The problem then is who will take the Tories into that General Election? I can't see that Boris Johnson has rehabilitated himself enough yet after his chaotic two and half year performance since the referendum, and the rest of the Tory Brexit promoters haven't exactly covered themselves in glory.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That's the most likely way to get her deal through, also enabling her to go out on a win.

The problem then is who will take the Tories into that General Election? I can't see that Boris Johnson has rehabilitated himself enough yet after his chaotic two and half year performance since the referendum, and the rest of the Tory Brexit promoters haven't exactly covered themselves in glory.
If JC wins a concession for his early GE, he will unify Labour MPs and gain a strong momentum.
it does not matter then who'll lead the tories to the next GE.
They are so divided like at the time of John Major's PM-ship that they will become unelectable until they get over brexit.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

There is of course always the thought that the Brexit situation is something the Tory party want to dump on Corbyn to carry the blame, and he is stupid enough to volunteer to take it on.
With any luck unless we stay in the EU there will be a GE and the Conservatives regain power.
That would serve the blighters right!
Why should anyone else have to carry the curse of Brexit?
Time they suffered for the sabotage they have committed to this country , and had to deal the consequences of their incompetence.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
If JC wins a concession for his early GE, he will unify Labour MPs and gain a strong momentum.
They are so divided like at the time of John Major's PM-ship that they will become unelectable until they get over brexit.
And if Corbyn wins and we leave the EU, then that really condemns Labour to being held responsible for what follows after Brexit.
Bloody stupid hardly describes that outcome.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It looks like we are going to need another source of Power rather than Nuclear after Brexit!
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jan/11/hitachi-cancel-plans-nuclear-power-station-angelsey-wales?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Hitachi set to cancel plans for £16bn nuclear power station in Wales
Move by Japanese firm would be blow to UK plans to replace coal plants and ageing reactors
An impasse in months-long talks between the company, London and Toyko on financing is expected to result in the flagship project being axed at a Hitachi board meeting next week, according to the Nikkei newspaper.
The company has spent nearly £2bn on the planned Wylfa power station on Anglesey, which would have powered around 5m homes.
Another Japanese giant, Toshiba, scrapped a nuclear plant in Cumbria just two months ago after failing to find a buyer for the ailing project.
Withdrawal by Hitachi would be a major blow to the UK’s plans to replace dirty coal and ageing reactors with new nuclear power plants, and heap pressure on ministers to consider other large-scale alternatives such as offshore windfarms.

We could always let the Chinese in....
"
Chinese company behind new UK nuclear power plant 'refused to give security details to British authorities'
UK regulator says failure to disclose the information is unlikely to prove a problem
Theresa May announced a review of the project in July 2016 amid concerns that Chinese involvement in such a sensitive industry could leave Britain open to energy blackmail
It was given the go-ahead last September after ministers said they had agreed “significant new safeguards”.

Great if you are crazy enough to trust our Government , never mind the Chinese!

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and Fingers

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, that was already my opinion too. But it will still be fascinating to see how the Tories deal with the leadership issue.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Is this for real? Or some sort of sabre-rattling and trying to apply pressure?

I guess we don't have very long to wait...

Labour set to call vote to topple Theresa May’s government
Opposition MPs told to get set for no-confidence vote as top Tories admit they see no hope for the prime minister’s Brexit deal

Labour MPs have been told to prepare for Jeremy Corbyn to table a dramatic and immediate vote of no confidence in Theresa May’s government as early as Tuesday evening in an attempt to force a general election if – as expected – she suffers a heavy defeat this week on her Brexit deal.

Messages have been sent to Labour MPs, even those who are unwell, to ensure their presence both for the “meaningful vote” on the prime minister’s Brexit blueprint on Tuesday and the following day. Labour whips have told MPs the no-confidence vote is likely to be tabled within hours of a government loss, with the actual vote taking place on Wednesday.

The news comes before what promises to be one of the most tumultuous 24 hours in recent parliamentary history in which, barring another delay, May will put her Brexit deal to parliament despite deep and widespread opposition across the Commons, including from many MPs inside her own party.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/12/labour-set-to-trigger-vote-to-topple-theresa-may-government

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Is this for real? Or some sort of sabre-rattling and trying to apply pressure?

I guess we don't have very long to wait...

Labour set to call vote to topple Theresa May’s government
Opposition MPs told to get set for no-confidence vote as top Tories admit they see no hope for the prime minister’s Brexit deal

Labour MPs have been told to prepare for Jeremy Corbyn to table a dramatic and immediate vote of no confidence in Theresa May’s government as early as Tuesday evening in an attempt to force a general election if – as expected – she suffers a heavy defeat this week on her Brexit deal.

Messages have been sent to Labour MPs, even those who are unwell, to ensure their presence both for the “meaningful vote” on the prime minister’s Brexit blueprint on Tuesday and the following day. Labour whips have told MPs the no-confidence vote is likely to be tabled within hours of a government loss, with the actual vote taking place on Wednesday.

The news comes before what promises to be one of the most tumultuous 24 hours in recent parliamentary history in which, barring another delay, May will put her Brexit deal to parliament despite deep and widespread opposition across the Commons, including from many MPs inside her own party.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/12/labour-set-to-trigger-vote-to-topple-theresa-may-government

Dude. This isn't news

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Comic headline in the Express this morning.
Remember "Let's take back Control?"

END OF DEMOCRACY? 'It's game over for Brexit' as MPs plot 'COUP' to stop UK leaving EU
THE UK could plunge into a full-blown constitutional crisis next week, with MPs plotting to take control of the Brexit process and potentially reverse the referendum result of 2016.

What was the point of having the slogan ? just who was supposed to "Take back control"?

Advertisers