Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I the independent
"
Boris Johnson has turned down a face-to-face meeting with Donald Trump after the US president called to make a direct offer, it has emerged.
The Conservative leadership front runner held a "friendly and productive" phone call with Mr Trump on Tuesday but he declined the chance to meet the president during his three-day state visit to London.

Mr Johnson turned down the opportunity for talks with the president to attend a leadership hustings, where he is seeking to woo an influential caucus of Tory moderates.

Interesting..............
BJ said at the 'One Nation' husting that the tories face 'extinction' if they fail to deliver brexit, presumably on October 31st. If they try to deliver an WTO brexit, they face extinction anyway.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Just a little more from the American Trade agreement.
It looks more like an occupying power's first commands to a country they invaded

"Promote greater regulatory compatibility to reduce burdens associated with unnecessary differences in regulations and standards, including through regulatory cooperation where appropriate. - Establish specific commitments for trade in products developed through agricultural biotechnologies, including on transparency, cooperation, and managing low level presence issues, and a mechanism for exchange of information and enhanced cooperation on agricultural biotechnologies.

Establish new and enforceable rules to eliminate unjustified trade restrictions or unjustified commercial requirements (including unjustified labeling) that affect new technologies.

Obtain commitment that the UK will not foreclose export opportunities to the United States with respect to third-country export markets, including by requiring third countries to align with non-science based restrictions and requirements or to adopt SPS measures that are not based on ascertainable risk.

Rules of Origin: - Develop rules of origin that ensure that the benefits of the Agreement go to products genuinely made in the United States and the UK. - Ensure that the rules of origin incentivize production in the territory of the Parties, specifically in the United States.

Sorry but anyone promoting this is not working in the interests of this country

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Just signed and confirmed the petition in the three minute interval it was at 14,905 and rose to 15,129 on my receiving confirmation.
And quite frankly i don't believe that this will take long to soar to huge numbers

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Ensure that the rules of origin incentivize production in the territory of the Parties, specifically in the United States.
I can only assume that whoever wrote those words did not expect them to be seen and discussed in public in the UK. Or were stupid enough to think they would not be highly inflammatory.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Just signed and confirmed the petition in the three minute interval it was at 14,905 and rose to 15,129 on my receiving confirmation.
And quite frankly i don't believe that this will take long to soar to huge numbers
At least we know that the petition website can support large numbers of votes and doesn't break at 100,001. :)

• Agree

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
Trump has just told Piers Morgan on good morning Britain that The NHS is not on the negotiating table. Do we believe him.....do we ball locks. Even Piers (his best mate) said Trump had changed his position after the backlash.

Last edited:

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
This NHS thing is a red herring. Or a dead cat. And you’ve all fallen for it.

What’s the difference between G4s and an American company? Very little. If anything it can only be better.

Half the workforce is foreign. What’s the difference? The NHS isn’t being used as a bartering tool. The real threat is the land being sold off by the Tories then immediately being rented back at a higher cost and in perpetuity. The ppi deals delivered by Labour were arguably even worse.

The real danger isn’t from ‘trade deals’ the real danger is at home.

But quick look! There’s a squirrel! And there goes the attention from the masses.

Oldest trick in the book.

Reactions: Woosh

boyabouttown

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2016
sheffield
But not so clear cut, VC's success was just in getting the Remain vote for the European election. Watch it disappear in a GE.

Given a five year chance, Corbyn would re-nationalise rail and water, both very widely popular measures. Cable and the LibDems given power would cancel Brexit, leaving perhaps the majority of the electorate in an uproar of protest.

You see the position is not as simple as it looks.
Why would you want to re-nationalise rail ?

Reactions: Zlatan

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I don't think JC would re-nationalise rail, water and electricity anytime soon.
The aspiration is there but we have been living off foreign direct investments for so long that it will take at least a generation to wean off that level of dependency on the goodness (or greed) of strangers.
We need to improve productivity in a major way before the government can even think of stop to sell the family silvers.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
For the blackened boiled eggs, rude porters, lazy clerks and sleeping shift workers in hideouts, not to mention the massive pilfering endemic in all nationalised industry. Why not? BR, BS, Coal Industry and Car were all forms of sophisticated unemployment when under government control. Would suit our lazy Corbynistas down to ground.
Come on, Corbyn has made it clear he wants to put country back on 3 day week.. 4 days paid off everyweek. Whats the problem. Its Marxism at its best.
I suspect a whole generation has now emerged with no recall at all of the reality of nationalised industrty. You, d think older posters would know better, but perhaps they never actually saw what was really going on,all aided by unions.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

What’s the difference between G4s and an American company? Very little. If anything it can only be better.

Half the workforce is foreign. What’s the difference? The NHS isn’t being used as a bartering tool. The real threat is the land being sold off by the Tories then immediately being rented back at a higher cost and in perpetuity. The ppi deals delivered by Labour were arguably even worse.

But quick look! There’s a squirrel! And there goes the attention from the masses.

Rather astute.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Just a little more from the American Trade agreement.
It looks more like an occupying power's first commands to a country they invaded

"Promote greater regulatory compatibility to reduce burdens associated with unnecessary differences in regulations and standards, including through regulatory cooperation where appropriate. - Establish specific commitments for trade in products developed through agricultural biotechnologies, including on transparency, cooperation, and managing low level presence issues, and a mechanism for exchange of information and enhanced cooperation on agricultural biotechnologies.

Establish new and enforceable rules to eliminate unjustified trade restrictions or unjustified commercial requirements (including unjustified labeling) that affect new technologies.

Obtain commitment that the UK will not foreclose export opportunities to the United States with respect to third-country export markets, including by requiring third countries to align with non-science based restrictions and requirements or to adopt SPS measures that are not based on ascertainable risk.

Rules of Origin: - Develop rules of origin that ensure that the benefits of the Agreement go to products genuinely made in the United States and the UK. - Ensure that the rules of origin incentivize production in the territory of the Parties, specifically in the United States.

Sorry but anyone promoting this is not working in the interests of this country
These are some of the reasons why the Irish wanted the "backstop" . It is self evident that a land border somewhere between the UK and EU would be necessary.

• Agree

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012

the biggest danger to this country is Jeremy (Mugabe) Corbyn and his henchmen getting power in this country. He now wants to punish homeowners and steal land from people who have worked hard for it. Just watch the money and business flow from this country if he gets power. My feeling is that people like Dyson and co have already been spooked by the prospect and that is one of the reasons they have left.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

The real danger is leaving the EU

Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
the biggest danger to this country is Jeremy (Mugabe) Corbyn and his henchmen getting power in this country. He now wants to punish homeowners and steal land from people who have worked hard for it. Just watch the money and business flow from this country if he gets power. My feeling is that people like Dyson and co have already been spooked by the prospect and that is one of the reasons they have left.
This argument is irrelevant as he will not get into power, does this sort of whinging somehow make up for your disappointment at the way Brexit is foundering on the rocks?
Dyson left because he was afraid of being forced to pay a proper level of tax that is all.
He left because he is a con man and villain where money is concerned.

You are really hard up for material, aren't you?

A better idea for you is to speculate what will happen if Farage gets to be prime minister, that's more likely than Corbyn,when you think of how the public are so easily conned.
Then we will really face disaster.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I suspect a whole generation has now emerged with no recall at all of the reality of nationalised industrty. You, d think older posters would know better, but perhaps they never actually saw what was really going on,all aided by unions.
Actually we do know, and as usual you show a complete lack of understanding of the situation
We know how the nationalised industries were undermined by the Conservatives, and in fact it was the failure of privately owned railways that forced nationalisation in the first place.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Actually we do know, and as usual you show a complete lack of understanding of the situation
We know how the nationalised industries were undermined by the Conservatives, and in fact it was the failure of privately owned railways that forced nationalisation in the first place.
Its a skill of yours to be able to argue whilst sat on the fence. Are you for or against nationalisation?
Your comments as normal are adversarial for sake of arguing. The reasons behind the abstract failure of virtually every nationalised industry in UK are varied but the common one is human nature. Nobody cares, profits become optional, lethargy rules. I witnessed it directly years ago in 2 industries. (steel and coal)
Anybody suggesting nationalisation can work in UK has simply never seen it first hand. Fact.
Besides, my previous post was singing praises for it. Would be perfect for some.
And not sure why you have to say I show a lack of understanding. It isnt called for OG. Express your opinion, disagree with mine but dont insult. Its a weakness of yours. Have a bit of respect for others opinions OG. I actually know quite a bit about Steel and Coal industries.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Its a skill of yours to be able to argue whilst sat on the fence. Are you for or against nationalisation?
Your comments as normal are adversarial for sake of arguing. The reasons behind the abstract failure of virtually every nationalised industry in UK are varied but the common one is human nature. Nobody cares, profits become optional, lethargy rules. I witnessed it directly years ago in 2 industries. (steel and coal)
Anybody suggesting nationalisation can work in UK has simply never seen it first hand. Fact.
Besides, my previous post was singing praises for it. Would be perfect for some.
So why does it work in Germany?
The answer is a huge lack of talent in British Government and management .
How curious that without a Nationalised Rail and other industries we would have quickly lost the second world war.
Conveniently forgotten that haven't you.
And just what can you say in favour of the DAZZLING SUCCESS all of the Nationalised Industries have been since they were sold off?
They have tottered from one disaster to another.
Most of them were snapped up by other countries with more intelligent managerial methods.

And now with this lot you are putting the blame on the same workforce
"
The reasons behind the abstract failure of virtually every nationalised industry in UK are varied but the common one is human nature. Nobody cares, profits become optional, lethargy rules. I witnessed it directly years ago in 2 industries. (steel and coal)

I would suggest to you suggesting that privatization will cure any the problems with human nature is talking abject nonsense.
It is failing all around us at this very moment.

Last edited:

Advertisers