Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Will Hutton can be convoluted towards the unreadable end of the scale. But in this article, he is very straightforward:

Last week, an unelected special adviser delivered one of the most political and controversial speeches made by a British public official in recent times. It claimed, in justifying Brexit, that 19th-century political notions – the nation state with absolute sovereignty and wholesale independence of action – extended unchanged into the 21st century and were supported wholeheartedly in Britain. This betrayed a combination of ignorance, self-deception and vainglory that will ill serve our country.

What counts is the thinking in the court of King Boris. The musings of one of his most obsequious courtiers last week were not comforting. Prepare for a very hard Brexit and careless insouciance from those delivering it.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/feb/23/johnson-brexit-flunkey-sums-up-all-thats-wrong-with-his-masters-trade-fantasies-david-frost
What do you expect from a right wing idiot?

Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
As exams used to say, compare and contrast:

How will brexit impact flat earth?
I think after brexit the truth that the earth is flat will finally come out. The british economy will collapse and they won't have the funds to continue the cover up and it will slowly start to unravel. This is one of the reasons why I voted for Brexit.

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=79550.0

A US daredevil pilot has been killed during an attempted launch of a homemade rocket in the Californian desert.

"Mad" Mike Hughes, 64, crash-landed his steam-powered rocket shortly after take-off near Barstow on Saturday.

A video on social media shows a rocket being fired into the sky before plummeting to the ground nearby.

Hughes was well-known for his belief that the Earth was flat. He hoped to prove his theory by going to space.

Meanwhile, "Mad" Dominic Cummings and "Mad" Boris Johnson continue to screw us all up. (Do I need quotes there? :) )
Ah well he has realised his ambition!
And definitely deserves a Darwin Award
He is now a "Flat man" on a "Flat Earth"

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
"Boris Johnson, above all politicians, does it his way. He doesn't take any notice of what people say. He doesn't care what people think. He just wants to be prime minister."

What a simple minded thing to say. I wonder if they've even noticed that people voted for Boris because he did care about what people thought and that's what got him an eighty seat majority.

When was democracy renamed populism and become unacceptable?

It's stopped raining and got a little bit warmer, time to use some of the charge I have in my battery and see what that motorised MF will do.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Just looked at the video of this "Genius" at work and noticed a parachute descending immediately after the launch.
Bit of a blooper to forget to fasten it to something.
More on this rather strange (ex) person

"
“Mad” Mike Hughes, who hoped to prove the Earth was flat by going into space, died on Saturday near Barstow, California, after attempting to launch his steam-powered rocket for a new television series called Homemade Astronauts on the US Science Channel.

In a statement, the Science Channel said: “Our thoughts & prayers go out to his family & friends during this difficult time. It was always his dream to do this launch & Science Channel was there to chronicle his journey.”

"It's Science Channel, Jim,, but not as we know it"
This could be the shortest TV series on record

A readers comment
Darwinism in action, the average I.Q. of the human race just went up a couple of points.

Reminiscent of the old song
All together now
They scraped him off the tarmac like a lump of strawberry jam and he aint gonna jump no more

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
"Boris Johnson, above all politicians, does it his way. He doesn't take any notice of what people say. He doesn't care what people think. He just wants to be prime minister."

What a simple minded thing to say. I wonder if they've even noticed that people voted for Boris because he did care about what people thought and that's what got him an eighty seat majority.

It's stopped raining and got a little bit warmer, time to use some of the charge I have in my battery and see what that motorised MF will do.
when it became populism? democracy has always been dodgy (it gave us hitler, thatcher and idi amin, in no particular order), but we haven't always scaled the dizzying intellectual heights of trump or boris, if you get my drift?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

The reality is he pandered to those conditioned to a point of view by years of propaganda, the majority was gained because of our FPTP voting system not due to any virtue of this charlatan and his bunch of plotters.
More voters voted for other parties, not his, remember?

as to this
"What a simple minded thing to say. I wonder if they've even noticed that people voted for Boris because he did care about what people thought and that's what got him an eighty seat majority."

You need to remove the "thought" and fit the words"been conditioned into thinking" into the empty space

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
21st Cenury
Just looked at the video of this "Genius" at work and noticed a parachute descending immediately after the launch.
Bit of a blooper to forget to fasten it to something.
More on this rather strange (ex) person

"
“Mad” Mike Hughes, who hoped to prove the Earth was flat by going into space, died on Saturday near Barstow, California, after attempting to launch his steam-powered rocket for a new television series called Homemade Astronauts on the US Science Channel.

In a statement, the Science Channel said: “Our thoughts & prayers go out to his family & friends during this difficult time. It was always his dream to do this launch & Science Channel was there to chronicle his journey.”

"It's Science Channel, Jim,, but not as we know it"
This could be the shortest TV series on record

A readers comment
Darwinism in action, the average I.Q. of the human race just went up a couple of points.

Reminiscent of the old song
All together now
They scraped him off the tarmac like a lump of strawberry jam and he aint gonna jump no more
21st Century space cadet

Seems every few generations or so there's always one...

RIP Wan Hu 2000 BC

RIP Lothar Sieber 1945

• :D

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
And of course there is this

US private healthcare firm handed £7million NHS contract to rank patients

EXCLUSIVE: Donald Trump once praised £184billion global giant UnitedHealth Group which divides NHS patients into high, medium and low risk groups sparking fears people could be turned down for ops because of age or weight

Or perhaps for not being members of the Conservative Party?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
By the way folks, Eustice says that chlorinated chicken is no longer an issue. Most of the USA no longer uses that out-dated technology.

They do the same thing but with lactic acid...

So that's all right then.

(Lactic acid appears to increase shelf-life.)

Reactions: Woosh

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
That would reverse the freewheel, so then just swap the handlebar and seat stems as well.

Then you wouldn't even need to turn the bike round to ride in the opposite direction.
Plan B go back to a fixed wheel!
Alternatively you could use the rear crankset from a tandem and do this mod yourself

Cycle Left hand drive

And helicoil the cranks so the threads are the right hand and your pedals don't fall off!

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
For a Government presenting itself as a "United front" with spies in all the cafes reporting ministers hob nobbing with the press there are a remarkable number of leaks going on, and many of the do not appear to be from Cummings either, for example in the guardian
"
Brexit: UK reneging on Northern Ireland pledges risks trade deals with US and EU
Concerns raised after reports negotiating team told to devise plans to ‘get around’ protocol in withdrawal agreement
"
Concern has been raised after Boris Johnson’s Brexit negotiating team has reportedly been ordered to come up with plans to “get around” the Northern Ireland protocol in the withdrawal agreement which includes checks on goods and food going from Great Britain to Northern Ireland.
Former Irish ambassador to the EU Bobby McDonagh said reneging on it would have serious consequences including posing a risk to a future deal with Washington where support for Ireland is considerable.
“If UK gov were to renege on its legal obligations under Brexit withdrawal agreement to protect Good Friday agreement it would have many consequences. One would be the end of any prospect of a UK-US trade deal,” he said in a tweet.
And Catherine Barnard, professor of EU law at Cambridge University said there would be immediate consequences if the UK did not show good faith both legally and reputationally."

“If we renege on the terms of the withdrawal agreement, that will trigger the dispute resolution arrangements in the withdrawal agreement.

“But it is not just the legal issue, it would also damage Britain’s reputation in other trade negotiations because it would raise the matter of whether Britain can be trusted,” she said.

And of course

Ministers have leaked his plan to sell off Channel 4

Set your Gestapo on them Boris!
Your Steamship "Fourth Reich GB" has sprung a leak or three

• Informative

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
  • Informative

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
25 quid a year or bupa ( other products are available ) to achieve the same queue jump ;-)
Great company to deal with (The Company enrolled me with them for a while some years ago)
Not because of being big hearted but because they didn't have another mug willing to clean fans at the time.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-3595418/The-couple-charged-12-000-year-Bupa-health-insurance-ve-no-illnesses-customers-30-years.html
The couple being charged £12k a year by Bupa for health insurance... even though they've no serious illnesses and have been customers for 30 years
  • Couple in their late 60s given incredible quote to renew an annual policy
  • When their daughter went online she found a similar deal for £6,000
  • Shockingly, the half-price offer came from the same insurer — Bupa
  • Bupa openly admits it fails to tell loyal policyholders about cheaper rates
And since I have had Prostate Cancer the fees are of the nature

"If you have to ask
You can't afford it" :oops:

Advertisers