Brexit, for once some facts.

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
You mean the nhs should replace hand gel dispensers with pub type shot dispensers loaded with cheap vodka fifths. That's genius (you should either establish a think tank or become a management consultant)"!
It does make me smile though, I can just imagine some bloke with an Amazon home shop thinking he can make a few quid out of selling extra hand sanitiser, whereas Aldi with their marketing genius are currently targeting lawnmowers on the very weekend that storm Jorge is due to set in :)

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
You mean the nhs should replace hand gel dispensers with pub type shot dispensers loaded with cheap vodka fifths. That's genius (you should either establish a think tank or become a management consultant)"!
That was quite an old article from 2012 (about he time of rampant MRSA) Last time I looked they replaced gel with a fluffy foaming alchohol gel type that wasn't so attractively quaffable. Plus hospital wards I used to work on had a bottle of sherry so that a bedtime glassful could be pragmatically 'prescribed' by docs for elderly chronic alchololics.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
That was quite an old article from 2012 (about he time of rampant MRSA) Last time I looked they replaced gel with a fluffy foaming alchohol gel type that wasn't so attractively quaffable. Plus hospital wards I used to work on had a bottle of sherry so that a bedtime glassful could be pragmatically 'prescribed' by docs for elderly chronic alchololics.
In the care home my mother resided for the two years before her death, there was a grand old woman ,of old Ascendancy stock.. who always had a glass of wine provided with her meal.
A few years previous to her death, my mother would come to us for the Christmas season. I would give her a cup of fortified cocoa at night, and she would sleep very soundly. It depleted the Hennessy stocks however.

Reactions: flecc and oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
And in other good news... for the millions of folk sitting at home twiddling their thumbs looking for something to do in their spare time

I wonder what happened to Cameron's National Citizen Service (NCS) / Big Society / Volkssturm schemes

UK races to find extra 50,000 staff for post-Brexit paperwork

A race to hire 50,000 people in the next six months to process Brexit paperwork is under way after the government confirmed they would be needed for border operations.

But experts have warned it will be a challenge to train enough people in time to be competent in the complexity of customs declarations and the second layer of red tape involving entry and exit declaration forms that are mandatory for trading with the EU.

The Road Haulage Association has warned that the number of declaration forms for tariffs alone will rocket from the current 50m a year to 200-250m a year.

Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Wot ho chaps! Boris has some really sage advice for you
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-51682581/boris-johnson-advises-people-to-wash-hands-to-avoid-coronavirus
Boris Johnson advises people to wash hands to avoid coronavirus
Prime Minister Boris Johnson offers his condolences to the family of the British national who has died from Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.
He says the NHS is making "every possible preparation" to deal with the virus but the "best single piece of advice we can give" is to "wash your hands for 20 seconds or more".

Halleluya!
This on Twitter
2h
Boris Johnson has told the nation to wash its hands. He's even hosting a Cobra meeting next week. The great man's alive and leading from the front. https://bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-51682581/boris-johnson-advises-people-to-wash-hands-to-avoid-coronavirus…

Replying to @shattenstone

Oldgroaner
Is that before or after you kiss your backside goodbye?

Is there no mechanism to have a Prime minister removed from office because of him going insane?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-51682581/boris-johnson-advises-people-to-wash-hands-to-avoid-coronavirus
Prime Minister Boris Johnson offers his condolences to the family of the British national who has died from Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.
He says the NHS is making "every possible preparation" to deal with the virus but the "best single piece of advice we can give" is to "wash your hands for 20 seconds or more".

Halleluya!
This on Twitter
2h
Boris Johnson has told the nation to wash its hands. He's even hosting a Cobra meeting next week. The great man's alive and leading from the front. https://bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-51682581/boris-johnson-advises-people-to-wash-hands-to-avoid-coronavirus…

Oldgroaner
The link doesn't work - needs a space not "...".

So it is better to wash hands than avoid coughing over people? We have to assume this advice is based on sound science and the best expert advice.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The link doesn't work - needs a space not "...".

So it is better to wash hands than avoid coughing over people? We have to assume this advice is based on sound science and the best expert advice.
It would probably be more effective to keep your fingers crossed and offer sausages to Offler the Crocodile God.

Imagine: we are faced with a threat that this so called leader thinks the best he can come up with is to copy
Pontius Pilate
"I wash my hands of this just Pandemic"
And suggest you do the same!

• :D

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Look who appointed her...

Priti Patel is far from the first minister to fall out with a Whitehall mandarin
Chris Mullin

Frosty relationshps with civil servants can thwart a minister’s ambitions, as I discovered to my cost

As for Patel, I suspect her problem – aside from allegations of abuse – is that she is simply not up to the job. Not long after she was made home secretary I received an email from a former permanent secretary of my acquaintance who remarked, “I don’t think I have ever seen a secretary of state so completely out of her depths – and so quickly.”
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/feb/28/priti-patel-fall-out-civil-servants

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

Halleluya!
This on Twitter
2h

Oldgroaner

Is there no mechanism to have a Prime minister removed from office because of him going insane?
I suspect even less of a mechanism than they have in the USA. And we all saw...

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Yet another predictable thing Boris is scrabbling to wash his hands off...

Immigration: Conservative MP brands social care advice 'facile'

The Conservative MP, Sir Roger Gale, submitted a question to the government asking what plans there are to tackle "potential labour shortages" in the care sector as a result of planned immigration controls.

In response, the Social Care Minister Helen Whately said: "We are continually monitoring and analysing the impact on both cost and numbers of staff in the National Health Service and social care sector as a result of multiple changes including the future immigration system."

"The changes to the immigration system and the ending of freedom of movement will mean that social care employers will need to redouble efforts to promote jobs in social care to workers in the United Kingdom.

But Sir Roger Gale said that care homes were already closing at an "alarming rate" and that it wouldn't be possible to "press gang" people into working in the sector.

The MP for North Thanet suggested the government must know councils cannot afford to pay the kind of fees that would enable care home providers to pay higher wages."

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Yet another predictable thing Boris is scrabbling to wash his hands off...

Immigration: Conservative MP brands social care advice 'facile'

The Conservative MP, Sir Roger Gale, submitted a question to the government asking what plans there are to tackle "potential labour shortages" in the care sector as a result of planned immigration controls.

In response, the Social Care Minister Helen Whately said: "We are continually monitoring and analysing the impact on both cost and numbers of staff in the National Health Service and social care sector as a result of multiple changes including the future immigration system."

"The changes to the immigration system and the ending of freedom of movement will mean that social care employers will need to redouble efforts to promote jobs in social care to workers in the United Kingdom.

But Sir Roger Gale said that care homes were already closing at an "alarming rate" and that it wouldn't be possible to "press gang" people into working in the sector.

The MP for North Thanet suggested the government must know councils cannot afford to pay the kind of fees that would enable care home providers to pay higher wages."
Well his constituents knew what they were voting for:

Leave 65.18%
Remain 34.82%

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can rely on this Government to remain as calm and rational when faced with a problem as Corporal Jones and as optimistic as Private Fraser in Dad's Army
Headline in the Daily Fail
"
Thousands of Britons face mass coronavirus testing at GPs - as 'worst-case' Government report warns 500,000 may die in UK amid 'explosion' of infections across Europe
Watch out for Further helpful headlines along the lines of

"people on Zero hours contracts are not expected to survive the self imposed quarantine isolation without suffering minor weight loss"

"The elderly should put a note on their front door saying how many bodies to look for"
And what's your solution to it?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Each day when some new "Gaffe" emerges from Boris and his flying circus, I can imagine Putin raises his glass of vodka in tribute.
Sky news just announced the first Briton to die of Covid19 on thee Cruise Ship
The virus doesn't care about Boris. It doesn't care about political affiliations. Regardless of what Boris or anybody else does or doesn't do, it'll be coming to your town, and probably a lot closer. Be nice about it while you still can.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
There was bound to be some nutter in the Telegraph to try an utterly stupid headline like this
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/02/28/coronavirus-outbreak-shows-real-limits-borderless-eu/

The coronavirus outbreak shows the real limits of a borderless EU
headache of a very different sort.

Coronavirus threatens not just public health, but also the very fundamentals of the EU system of free movement, and its Schengen Area that – in theory at least – provide for borderless travel across member states.

The ever-expanding crisis makes it seem inevitable that border controls will be needed once more.

Since when was China in the EU?

Reactions: flecc

Advertisers