Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've worked with folk in the 80% range who were compos mentis if they were simply sitting and resting without any supplemental 02. But like Everest climbers doing a simple task i.e walking or even just eating (hard to breathe and eat simultaneously) would get dizzy and befuddled.
Some politicians appear to get like that just with thinking, judging by the errs, umms and stammering.

• :D
Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
James O Brien
BBC News - British workers 'among worst idlers', suggest Tory MPs https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19300051

oldgroaner@oldgroaner
The old saying is "it takes one to know one" if British workers are among the worst idlers It's a damning indictment of the Tory management classes charged with controlling the situation and ensuring productivity, they are taking salaries under false pretenses.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Some of you know a lot more about computer systems and communication technology than I do. What do you all think about Zoom conferencing software? Many individuals and companies have started using it, their user numbers have gone from about 10 million to 200 million in less than a year.

I am not certain, but I thought I read something the other day that the government had started using it to hold their conferences with ministers and officials who were working from home.

Is it a risk that the servers Zoom uses to operate their world wide system are situated in China? I don't know, but my guess would be that the Chinese security services have access to these servers and can have access to any conference that is taking place that they want to, and so find out some very useful information.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
If this keeps up the entire government will be AWOL
They will have Brexited!
And just this once it has my approval! :cool:
I think it says quite a bit about our government. I know we can’t guarantee ourselves that we won’t contract the virus, but theses people have every facility and every opportunity to distance themselves from it. They don’t need to go shopping for essentials or any of the other risky things, yet a disproportionate number of them are coming down with Coronavirus. This means that they must be breaking their own guidelines. Initially, it’s likely that they were thinking that it only affects the uneducated, dirty and disposable elements of the public, hence Project Herd Immunity (or genocide). This has bitten them on the arse because this virus goes after anyone who relaxes and takes their eye off the ball, sometimes even people who exercise good cautionary measures too.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
James O Brien
BBC News - British workers 'among worst idlers', suggest Tory MPs https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19300051

oldgroaner@oldgroaner
The old saying is "it takes one to know one" if British workers are among the worst idlers It's a damning indictment of the Tory management classes charged with controlling the situation and ensuring productivity, they are taking salaries under false pretenses.
I think that dynamo of energy, ideas and high achievement, Liz Truss co-authored that. Like she has done anything except FA.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
I think it says quite a bit about our government. I know we can’t guarantee ourselves that we won’t contract the virus, but theses people have every facility and every opportunity to distance themselves from it. They don’t need to go shopping for essentials or any of the other risky things, yet a disproportionate number of them are coming down with Coronavirus. This means that they must be breaking their own guidelines. Initially, it’s likely that they were thinking that it only affects the uneducated, dirty and disposable elements of the public, hence Project Herd Immunity (or genocide). This has bitten them on the arse because this virus goes after anyone who relaxes and takes their eye off the ball, sometimes even people who exercise good cautionary measures too.
London esp Whitehall was a hot spot and I guess with staff coming and going in & out Downing St it was quite inevitable. Now that the head bods in cabinet are whittling down daily what happens when Raab succumbs ... will succession fall upon Laura Kuenssberg, the No. 10 bog roll delivery man or Larry who leads the nation.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Some of you know a lot more about computer systems and communication technology than I do. What do you all think about Zoom conferencing software? Many individuals and companies have started using it, their user numbers have gone from about 10 million to 200 million in less than a year.

I am not certain, but I thought I read something the other day that the government had started using it to hold their conferences with ministers and officials who were working from home.

Is it a risk that the servers Zoom uses to operate their world wide system are situated in China? I don't know, but my guess would be that the Chinese security services have access to these servers and can have access to any conference that is taking place that they want to, and so find out some very useful information.
Everything I have read suggests it combines being easy to set up and use with being easy to hack and abuse.

That the cabinet could have chosen to use it is absolutely mindnumbingly dumb. The below is just one of many stories about its security-related issues.

Zoom's end-to-end encryption isn't actually end-to-end at all. Good thing the PM isn't using it for Cabinet calls. Oh, for f...
Super-crypto actually normal TLS, lawsuit launched over Facebook API usage, privacy policy rewritten
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/04/01/zoom_spotlight/

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
There's a range of interventions - beginning with supplemental O2 therapy via nasal / mask, then CPAP pressurised mask (patient doesn't need sedating) - and finally full blown invasive ventilation intensive care and operating theatre. What they're on depends on what's going on in their lungs.

People can adapt to lower O2 rates, like mountain climbers without ill effect (only noticable on physical exertion) Most folk normally have 98-99% O2 stats but I've worked with folk in the 80% range who were compos mentis if they were simply sitting and resting without any supplemental 02. But like Everest climbers doing a simple task i.e walking or even just eating (hard to breathe and eat simultaneously) would get dizzy and befuddled.

So, anything less than full blown (sorry) ventilatation could be passed off as him not being on ventilation. Is that right?

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
James O Brien

oldgroaner@oldgroaner
If they think they are idlers, why don’t they do a shift in a hospital and show the workers there how it’s done? Most of them would only be useful after being carved up for spares.

Reactions: daveboy and flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
There's a range of interventions - beginning with supplemental O2 therapy via nasal / mask, then CPAP pressurised mask (patient doesn't need sedating) - and finally full blown invasive ventilation intensive care and operating theatre. What they're on depends on what's going on in their lungs.

People can adapt to lower O2 rates, like mountain climbers without ill effect (only noticable on physical exertion) Most folk normally have 98-99% O2 stats but I've worked with folk in the 80% range who were compos mentis if they were simply sitting and resting without any supplemental 02. But like Everest climbers doing a simple task i.e walking or even just eating (hard to breathe and eat simultaneously) would get dizzy and befuddled.

Having a son with CF, and 30% Lung Function, on a good day, I fully understand where you are coming from. Walking normally can bring spots to his vision. Obviously he is being cacooned at present ,... Any presentation of this CV19 would be fatal.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
So, anything less than full blown (sorry) ventilatation could be passed off as him not being on ventilation. Is that right?
Going by the persistent symptoms of fever and cough longer than a week/10 days they've put him under closer medical observation and a whiff of supplementary o2 (plus x-ray of lungs), upping it to next stage if necessary if o2 stats deteriorated further which would be the pressurised CPAP mask. Last resort for life support would be incubation and a ventilator where the patient is sedated.

• Informative

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Interesting

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I'd like to see some of them do a shift down the pit............if we had any pits left.
Did a stint as a hospital cleaner once. Some of it was hard physical work.

Was on the heavy cleaning team and doing things like commissioning cleans for refurbished wards was non-stop hours of work with little relief. And deep clean of wards after infection was also knackering.

I'm sure down the mines were far tougher but there is a tendency to see the image of someone wiping a couple of dust particles off a shelf.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Everything I have read suggests it combines being easy to set up and use with being easy to hack and abuse.

That the cabinet could have chosen to use it is absolutely mindnumbingly dumb. The below is just one of many stories about its security-related issues.

Zoom's end-to-end encryption isn't actually end-to-end at all. Good thing the PM isn't using it for Cabinet calls. Oh, for f...
Super-crypto actually normal TLS, lawsuit launched over Facebook API usage, privacy policy rewritten
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/04/01/zoom_spotlight/
If it's any consolation.....
But the information gained would be as useless as the decisions being made :cool:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Charts Gove would say, who needs 'em

If ever a country needed to change it's government,
We are that country
Now is that time

• Informative

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Charts Gove would say, who needs 'em

If ever a country needed to change it's government,
We are that country
Now is that time
Figures. Charts. Statistics. Analysis.

No. Being a FIGHTER is what counts! (Does someone think that Johnson is some sort of latterday Spitfire or Hurricane?)

Interesting, and unpleasant, reading:

UK will have Europe's worst coronavirus death toll, study predicts

IHME analysis is disputed by scientists whose modelling is relied on by UK government
World-leading disease data analysts have projected that the UK will become the country worst hit by the coronavirus pandemic in Europe, accounting for more than 40% of total deaths across the continent.

The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) in Seattle predicts 66,000 UK deaths from Covid-19 by August, with a peak of nearly 3,000 a day, based on a steep climb in daily deaths early in the outbreak.

The analysts also claim discussions over “herd immunity” led to a delay in the UK introducing physical distancing measures, which were brought in from 23 March in England when the coronavirus death toll stood at 54. Portugal, by comparison, had just one confirmed death when distancing measures were imposed.

The newly released data is disputed by scientists whose modelling of the likely shape of the UK epidemic is relied on by the government. Prof Neil Ferguson, of Imperial College, said the IHME figures on “healthcare demand” – including hospital bed use and deaths – were twice as high as they should be.

More to read at:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/07/uk-will-be-europes-worst-hit-by-coronavirus-study-predicts

I'm not here to pick winners of such arguments. Just as an ordinary human being deeply concerned about where we are.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Figures. Charts. Statistics. Analysis.

No. Being a FIGHTER is what counts! (Does someone think that Johnson is some sort of latterday Spitfire or Hurricane?)

Interesting, and unpleasant, reading:

UK will have Europe's worst coronavirus death toll, study predicts

IHME analysis is disputed by scientists whose modelling is relied on by UK government
World-leading disease data analysts have projected that the UK will become the country worst hit by the coronavirus pandemic in Europe, accounting for more than 40% of total deaths across the continent.

The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) in Seattle predicts 66,000 UK deaths from Covid-19 by August, with a peak of nearly 3,000 a day, based on a steep climb in daily deaths early in the outbreak.

The analysts also claim discussions over “herd immunity” led to a delay in the UK introducing physical distancing measures, which were brought in from 23 March in England when the coronavirus death toll stood at 54. Portugal, by comparison, had just one confirmed death when distancing measures were imposed.

The newly released data is disputed by scientists whose modelling of the likely shape of the UK epidemic is relied on by the government. Prof Neil Ferguson, of Imperial College, said the IHME figures on “healthcare demand” – including hospital bed use and deaths – were twice as high as they should be.

More to read at:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/07/uk-will-be-europes-worst-hit-by-coronavirus-study-predicts

I'm not here to pick winners of such arguments. Just as an ordinary human being deeply concerned about where we are.
And still in the right wing press every effort is being made to present our situation as if we are somehow more than holding our own, due to the "heroic" efforts of the Government, who in more rational times should by now be facing trial for criminal negligence in carrying out their duty to protect the public.
When reading the Readers comments in these rags it is hard not to assume that most of their readership could not beat the average gnat in a test of intelligence.

Reactions: POLLY and oyster

Advertisers