Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nisans Global Chief Operating Head Ashwani Gupta says the Sunderland factory is unsustainable if we get a No Deal Brexit and have to operate on WTO rules.
They've made this very clear all along. They will shut down car manufacturing, not just here but in the whole of Europe.

Their cars will be supplied direct just as Honda has elected to do, now that they'll soon come into the EU without tariffs.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In a meeting early last week, two sources said Johnson had listened as the detail of the plan was outlined but then asked: “Who is in charge of implementing this delivery plan?” One recalled: “There was just silence. He looked over at Sedwill and said, ‘Is it you?’ Sedwill said, ‘No, I think it’s you, prime minister.’”
Probably fake. It's long been known that Johnson doesn't do anything or take charge of anything. He only ever delegates to appointees.

Reactions: oldgroaner

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I attempted to read this article. The essence of which is they looked at lots of infections in a hospital setting and the usual distances . Carers to patient . More infections at shorter separations. In otherwords no physics, no modelling , ..simply a meta analysis of other surveys. .
it's like one of those customers surveys '80% of surveyed people agreed that their skin feels softer after using X soap'.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Has anyone seen the story in the Telegraph? Apparently, today is the day that the Prime Minister takes control of the coronavirus crisis which has been raging for just short of six months and seen over 60000 dead! Have I read this correctly? If Johnson is taking Control today, who has been in control for the last six months?
the last six months? it was all Cummings' fault!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
it's like one of those customers surveys '80% of surveyed people agreed that their skin feels softer after using X soap'.
Only they are even worse, deliberately insulting consumers by using unresolvable pairings like "93% of 178 people surveyed".

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If Johnson is taking Control today, who has been in control for the last six months?
the last six months? it was all Cummings' fault!
No, it was the cabinet due to their responsibilities.

It's rather like the Theresa May situation again. Remember she announced she was taking charge at the outset, "Brexit Means Brexit". And when the negotiations weren't going well she again announced she was going to take charge!

But when it all failed she ran away, leaving the cabinet to sort out the mess and find a new leader. Just as Cameron did, just as Boris will one day.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Barry Shittpeas

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I’ve just been into town to fetch my click & Collect order. 2 miles from the supermarket traffic ground to a halt and I thought there must have been an accident. 45 minutes later, I arrived close to the supermarket. The congestion is being caused by Mc Donald’s and Kentucky Fried Chicken stores across the road from the supermarket. ******* idiots are queueing for over 2 miles to get a lips & arse-hole burger. They had stewards and police trying to keep the traffic flowing.

There is an Ikea on the outskirts and a friend who lives that side says it’s total gridlock over there too. What’s wrong with these people. Are they ******* mental?

One good thing, the rain kept all the newoutdoorers away this morning. I had the woodland, riverside and fields to myself today. First time that’s happened for weeks. The type of people who have been in the countryside over the past few weeks have no idea how to behave, they need to be kept in cages.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: tommie and flecc

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Boris made a fool of himself yet again, at PMQ's , just nonsense claims, and he managed to look like a blond scarecrow in a high wind
The only surprising thing is that the yellow streak of pi$$ actually turned up to face questions.

What’s today’s “World Beating” invention, a super morgue to hide all the bodies in?

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
The Apturi Covid app.

If you are running android fire up the app and tap on the cog (settings) icon bottom right of your screen. Across the top of your screen you will see LV EN RU so tap on EN for English.
You can also tap on the graph icon on the main screen to get statistics although TBH I'm not sure exactly what it's telling me or why. Apparently from what I'm hearing it actually works but lord knows how.
I shall investigate further on this....

• Informative
Reactions: Barry Shittpeas

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Just heard SKY tv have also launched their own app..who next ?
This is exactly what we need, a fragmented and uncoordinated approach to this national problem which affects us all. Thank goodness Johnson is taking back control today and will be in charge of the government's response. Nothing can go wrong.

• :D
Reactions: RossG and flecc

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
They've made this very clear all along. They will shut down car manufacturing, not just here but in the whole of Europe.

Their cars will be supplied direct just as Honda has elected to do, now that they'll soon come into the EU without tariffs.
I wonder in a few years time will we be making anything in this country? I am a bit old school in this regard and tend to think of manufacturing to consist of things which contain a fair bit of metal. Perhaps with some plastics and electronics thrown in, so examples would be motor vehicles, white goods, like washing machines, fridges etc.

I wonder though if my thinking is too old fashioned, I think I read somewhere that we actually make more things now than we ever did, but they are not the things people would think about.

So the kinds of things we manufacture in large numbers are things like ready meals, and many other food items. Lots of sweets and chocolate bars, and luckily for Soundwave many varieties of biscuits:)

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I'll just stick to traditional forecasting, like hanging seaweed or a pine cone outside from the windowsill.
I have always used the method of not being an early adopter of anything likely to kill me, in particular never ever fly in a Mk1 anything. I apply the same approach to Coronavirus, whatever easements the government announce, I'll wait and see how many are killed by the easements before considering them. They are currently inviting you to board the Handcock Mk1, stay clear of it for a while, there are plenty of mugs out there willing to test it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So the kinds of things we manufacture in large numbers are things like ready meals, and many other food items. Lots of sweets and chocolate bars, and luckily for Soundwave many varieties of biscuits:)
Two problems with that though.

First is that they are for domestic consumption, few exports. Second that their manufacture, especially of sweets, is constantly being shifted out into other EU countries where the mass market is.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Nev and oldgroaner

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have always used the method of not being an early adopter of anything likely to kill me, in particular never ever fly in a Mk1 anything.
Doesn't always work though. Boeing's 737 has been quite good from the outset, apart from the one that wanted to be a convertible and blew its roof off in flight, giving one passenger an ejector seat experience.

It's the Max 8 version that's the real bother though, treating everyone to a short lived bucking bronco experience.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Doesn't always work though. Boeing's 737 has been quite good from the outset, apart from the one that wanted to be a convertible and blew its roof off in flight, giving one passenger an ejector seat experience.

It's the Max 8 version that's the real bother though, treating everyone to a short lived bucking bronco experience.
The 737 was a winner from the outset in the late 1960s, one of those rare products where they got it mostly correct at the first attempt. That's the problem, the 737 Max is still very similar to the original 1960s design and certain aspects can't be changed, hence the squashed engine air intakes. With fuselage and wing modifications for extra capacity and efficiency it would be very difficult and unpleasant to fly manually, hence the augmented pilot experience created by software to make the Max feel and fly like an older version. And we know how that ended.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
This is exactly what we need, a fragmented and uncoordinated approach to this national problem which affects us all. Thank goodness Johnson is taking back control today and will be in charge of the government's response. Nothing can go wrong.
When I saw Boris on PMQ's I wondered if the real one had hidden himself in Madam Tussauds and they had fielded a rather shabby animatronic replacement

Advertisers