Brexit, for once some facts.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Sadly Rod Hull passed away as a result of falling off of his roof so Emu had the last laugh.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Murdering someone is excessive, no ifs, not buts
I fully agree, but let’s wait and see what the full circumstances surrounding this case turn out to be before assuming that it is a murder. It’s looking like it may be a murder because that’s what the cop is charged with, but only the trial will determine if it is a murder.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've been to the US 8 times.
my impression of American cops is they are excessively polite.
But then they could see that I am a tourist...
I think double standards and preconceptions are at play here, depending who one is.

Black, Hispanic, American, especially if poorly dressed likely to get a different approach than that for someone without those too familiar elements.

Very long ago when my job took me around Central London streets I had numerous encounters with tourists wanting directions. My impression then was that all US citizens were meticulously polite, and we've seen how courteously their soldiers can treat people in the countries they invaded, but we all know from the news how very different they can become at times.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
24-hour test turnaround. Getting close, I think. Should be embarrassing.:

No 10 does not rule out PM having to self-isolate if Alok Sharma tests positive for Covid-19

The Downing Street lobby briefing has finished. Here are the main points.

Second time in as many months for the guarantor of our Coronavirus safety. He’s not exactly filling me with confidence.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I know how I would treat an America who invaded my country, they have a tendency to loose their conflicts..we tend to win.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
So much for promises
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/chlorinated-chicken-british-markets-us-trade-deal-trump-a9548431.html
The government is set to open British markets to food produced to lower US welfare standards as part of its planned trade deal with Donald Trump.

Downing Street on Thursday refused to stand by an earlier pledge to keep so-called "chlorinated chicken" off UK shelves, in the first sign of the government folding under pressure from American trade negotiators.

Ministers are reportedly considering letting in products like chlorinated chicken and hormone fed beef into British supermarkets, but applying tariffs to them to protect UK-based farmers from competition.
Typically predictable.

As well as a tariff we should expect health warnings similar to those on cigarettes.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Typically predictable.

As well as a tariff we should expect health warnings similar to those on cigarettes.
Have written to my MP about this.

(Earlier today I got a personal response re my email to him about Cummings. I was pleased about that. He assured me that he had passed on the views of Pembrokeshire.)

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Why are face coverings being made mandatory on public transport if they deliver no protection? In fact, they were said to be more hazardous than beneficial. Now, if we don’t wear these hazardous, non beneficial devices, we are going to be issued with a fine. Where’s Boris Johnson, I need him to explain it to me, I don’t understand.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Where’s Boris Johnson, I need him to explain it to me, I don’t understand.
We usually get the best explanations from those with a full and deep understanding both of the issues and the difficulties that some might have in following those issues, whatever they are.

I don't need to write the next sent...

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Why are face coverings being made mandatory on public transport if they deliver no protection? In fact, they were said to be more hazardous than beneficial. Now, if we don’t wear these hazardous, non beneficial devices, we are going to be issued with a fine. Where’s Boris Johnson, I need him to explain it to me, I don’t understand.
Scotland is, apparently, thinking of making them compulsory.

Adding:
And why wait another 11 days before requiring them on public transport?

And does it apply in Wales?

Last edited:

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Yes, I agree, we need the full story to come out in court with the full circumstances. Then and only then can it be decided if the cops actions were excessive and the appropriate sentence passed once that is known.

Since the beginning of 2015, officers from the Minneapolis Police Department have rendered people unconscious with neck restraints 44 times, according to an NBC News analysis of police records. Several police experts said that number appears to be unusually high.

Minneapolis police used neck restraints at least 237 times during that span, and in 16 percent of the incidents the suspects and other individuals lost consciousness, the department's use-of-force records show. A lack of publicly available use-of-force data from other departments makes it difficult to compare Minneapolis to other cities of the same or any size.

I used to work with this chap, he wasn't Asbergers just 'naughty'

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk

• :D
Reactions: Nev

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I fully agree, but let’s wait and see what the full circumstances surrounding this case turn out to be before assuming that it is a murder. It’s looking like it may be a murder because that’s what the cop is charged with, but only the trial will determine if it is a murder.
Yes Barry, I agree. A full and fair trial.

• Agree
Reactions: Barry Shittpeas

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
..not the only thing you don't understand..however this time I suspect you are being coy.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is my understanding of the policy:

During Lockdown we were all forbidden to meet within two metres those living outside our shared residences and we were banned from making non essential journeys, so our chance of being infected was very low. Therefore our chance of infecting a transport worker in turn was also low and an unnecessary mask a storage risk for any any form of virus or bacteria it came into contact with, making it more threat than benefit.

Lockdown is now eased with many opportunities to meet with others singly or in small groups and wider access to more open premises. Also many more of us are going to work and schools. Together these mean our risk of being infected is much greater and our interaction with public transport much more frequent, thus a greater risk of viral transfer to transport workers.

These tip the benefit balance of face mask wearing on public transport in favour of wearing.

Mostly bunkum of course, but plausible to excuse why the government has once again woken up too late.

Last edited:

Advertisers