Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Not at all. Trump defeated Joe Biden in Antrim County, getting 56% of the vote. It was first declared for Biden, but then they found "a glitch in the software" and when sorted, it flipped to Trump. Antrim County is in Michigan, is it not? - so I was 100% correct.
And Michigan is in the USA. So you might as well have said "The USA has flipped to Trump." Similarly misleading.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
And Michigan is in the USA. So you might as well have said "The USA has flipped to Trump." Similarly misleading.
Thank's I didn't think that big. In fact, now that I'm on a roll, we could say that the World has flipped for Trump. Would that be a good thing, bearing in mind he's one of the few standing against The Great Reset? If he loses, the reset will become a certainty, and in the very near future.

Read more about the rest here from The Hill:
Santander's contribution:

You need to read the words very carefully. At first read, it all seems very positive, but think about what those words actually mean. They're all talking about restructuring financial systems and social systems. Think about how they would do that.

I hope too many of you don't have a lot of savings. Think about all the money they're printing all over the world. The only way to pay for it will be by inflation. Some people are predicting complete collapses in the currencies we know and love. Maybe this is what they mean by new financial structures.

Last edited:

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Will it make any difference to me though? Does anybody really give a sod about the corporate world ?

Meanwhile the USA passes a milestone with 250,000 now dead from covid-19. Thanks Mr President you are correct in thinking all this happened "on your watch" history will recall it.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Main export partnersRest of United Kingdom 60%
Rest of the World 22%
European Union 18%[9

and where does the majority of it go, yes thats right, the rest of the UK!!
And a meagre 18% with the EU who you seem to salivate over.

So who needs whom??
Thinking is not your strong suit is it?. If 60% goes to the nearest partener, no suprise there. NI s biggest market is RoI and then Scotland . Now think about what EXPORTS are except things that the country importing them wants...

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You need to read the words very carefully. At first read, it all seems very positive, but think about what those words actually mean. They're all talking about restructuring financial systems and social systems. Think about how they would do that.

I hope too many of you don't have a lot of savings. Think about all the money they're printing all over the world. The only way to pay for it will be by inflation. Some people are predicting complete collapses in the currencies we know and love. Maybe this is what they mean by new financial structures.
they would do that by a fairer tax system, the rich will pay a little more!
what's wrong with that?
People will work to live, not live to work. Less going to the office, more remote working. The roads in Southend are less congested, the air more breathable.
We have been doing that since March this year and overall, it is a positive experience.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
I've owned around 100 different motorbikes of every type from mopeds and scooters to ultimate sports bikes. My all-time favourite is the A10. I own one and it's still going after 60 years and still a joy to ride. Comfort, ergonomics and engine characteristics are perfect.
Most of the BSA A10's made are still on the road....Some of them even made it home. :D :D

Reactions: flecc and Nev

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Not at all. Trump defeated Joe Biden in Antrim County, getting 56% of the vote. It was first declared for Biden, but then they found "a glitch in the software" and when sorted, it flipped to Trump. Antrim County is in Michigan, is it not? - so I was 100% correct.
Is that it?

That's your argument?

Pathetic.

It's IN Michigan does not mean it IS Michigan.

You said Michigan had flipped not that a county within Michigan had flipped!

The fact that you equate the two shows how far you will go to bend facts for your own selfish ends.

Your status as a sad little troll is confirmed.

It's not too late though vfr - as I said to you weeks ago - all you need to do is send in a post saying something like darn it and drat you know what James you're right equating Michigan with a county within Michigan is an error.

Then I can stop calling you a sad little troll.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Not to our resident sad little troll. It makes perfect sense to him.

In fact he said it was "100% correct"

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I've owned around 100 different motorbikes of every type from mopeds and scooters to ultimate sports bikes. My all-time favourite is the A10. I own one and it's still going after 60 years and still a joy to ride. Comfort, ergonomics and engine characteristics are perfect.
Iv'e got a 1964 Triumph Tiger 90 that belonged to my Dad. He did a full restoration on it during 1980, rode it until 1985 and then parked it up. It's never even been started since then.

I'm not sure what to do with it, I don't have a bike licence or the time to get it road worthy again. I definitely don't want to part with it, but feel as though it should be put back into a usable state. Do restoration companies / businesses exist? Any recommendations? I can transport it anywhere.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
OK vfr - to continue this idea that you wanted to have an 'argument' rather than me just 'calling you names'.

Reading what Oyster wrote above - what's your thoughts on that?

What is your argument that "The USA has flipped to Trump" - is not misleading? (given the context - ie the fact is that we're only taking about one county that has actually flipped NOT the whole of the USA).

I am genuinely interested in how you rationalise your stance.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Iv'e got a 1964 Triumph Tiger 90 that belonged to my Dad. He did a full restoration on it during 1980, rode it until 1985 and then parked it up. It's never even been started since then.

I'm not sure what to do with it, I don't have a bike licence or the time to get it road worthy again. I definitely don't want to part with it, but feel as though it should be put back into a usable state. Do restoration companies / businesses exist? Any recommendations? I can transport it anywhere.
If you don’t get an answer on here try a couple of triumph forums someone on there will be able to help you.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It appears that the world, aside from a few of us, has decided the only thing that matters is Christmas.

Trying to have near-normal Christmas risks 'throwing fuel on fire' of Covid pandemic, says government science adviser

A scientist who advises the government as a member of Sage, the government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies, has said that trying to allow people to have a near-normal Christmas risks “throwing fuel on the fire” of the Covid pandemic.

Prof Andrew Hayward, professor of infectious disease epidemiology at University College London (UCL), made the comment in an interview on the Today programme when he said that allowing families to mix at Christmas would post “substantial risks”. Speaking in a personal capacity, Hayward said:

Mixing at Christmas does pose substantial risks, particularly in terms of bringing together generations with high incidence of infection with the older generations who currently have much lower levels of infection and are at most risk of dying if they catch Covid.

My personal view is we’re putting far too much emphasis on having a near-normal Christmas.

We know respiratory infections peak in January so throwing fuel on the fire over Christmas can only contribute to this.
Asked if people should put the welfare of parents and grandparents first, Hayward said:

Well exactly. We’re on the cusp of being able to protect those elderly people who we love through vaccination and it would be tragic to throw that opportunity away and waste the gains we’ve made during lockdown by trying to return to normality over the holidays.
He said the rules were unnecessarily complicated.

When policies are undulating between stay at home to save lives, eat out to help out, the tier system, second lockdown and proposals for an amnesty on social distancing, it’s a highly inconsistent message.

Whereas in fact the things that people need to do to stay safe and to keep their loved ones safe are relatively simple. Avoid, as far as possible, indoor close contact with people outside of your household, avoid crowded places and protect the most vulnerable by not putting them at unnecessary risk.
And he said it was not enough to get R, the reproduction number, close to 1.

Approaching 1 is not good enough - that still means the infection is increasing. It needs to be clearly below 1 and it needs to get to low levels, rather than the high levels that we still have.
Currently R for the UK is estimated to be between 1 and 1.2

• Informative
Reactions: POLLY and Nev

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Approaching 1 is not good enough - that still means the infection is increasing. It needs to be clearly below 1 and it needs to get to low levels, rather than the high levels that we still have.
the Professor commendably wants to err on the side of caution.
The number of newly confirmed cases has begun to drop from 33k (12-Nov) to 20k (Nov-18). Unlike Covid deaths, the number of cases doesn't have much lag behind infection.
As long as Covid deaths are below 500 a day, I think we should let people get on with their lives.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Prof Andrew Hayward who advises the government as a member of Sage, the government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies, has said that trying to allow people to have a near-normal Christmas risks “throwing fuel on the fire” of the Covid pandemic.
But this isn't about the infection, the government's policy will be about avoiding too much damage to the economy, and they are right. The effect of a non-Christmas will be devastating on the retail sector, closing large numbers of businesses permanently and drastically increasing unemployment. The service economy is all we've got left, lose more of that and we're finished.

As I've observed before, the policy cannot be saving lives at any cost, there's a balance to be struck of deaths versus the economy and we've been getting it wrong, still suffering a very high level of deaths while also seriously damaging the economy, education and the lives of millions.

We wouldn't have suffered such a huge number of more deaths by not have the degrees of lockdown we've suffered and not shutting down education, simply because those who've died anyway despite our safety measures would not have died a second time if we'd been more relaxed.

Only the reason they died might have changed.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
But this isn't about the infection, the governemnt's policy will be about avoiding too much damage to the economy, and they are right. The effect of a non-Christmas will be devastating on the retail sector, closing large numbers of busineses permanently and drastically increasing unemployment. The service economy is all we've got left.

As I've observed before, the policy cannot be saving lives sat any cost, there's a balance to be struck of deaths versus the economy and we've been getting it wrong, still suffering a very high level of deaths while also seriously damaging the economy, education and the lives of millions.

We wouldn't have suffered so many more deaths by not have the degrees of lockdown we've suffered and not shutting down education, simply because those who've died anyway despite our safety measures would not have died a second time if we'd been more relaxed,

Only the reason they died would have changed.
What will be the economic impact of a massive rise in Covid-19 in January? And the brexit consequences, or not, as you wish.

Reactions: POLLY

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What will be the economic impact of a massive rise in Covid-19 in January? And the brexit consequences, or not, as you wish.
If we'd been following what I've been advocating, there wouldn't be a massive rise then. We'd just have been experiencing a somewhat higher level of deaths but with a barely damaged economy:

Yes to:

Work from home where possible, otherwise still go to work.

Keep all retail open.

Keep all education running.

Voluntary Face masks in public buildings like shops and workplaces where possible.

Advise to maintain social distancing.

Severe restrictions on international travel and goods inwards plus compulsory quarantining.

No to:

Lockdowns.

Shutting down workplaces.

Enforcement and fines for non-compliance with advice. Let the death rate fear do the policing.

Last edited:

Advertisers