Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Not quite.

Two people died during the AZ trials, not necessarily due to the vaccine but comparing with the Israeli experience, given the relatively small scale of the AZ trials.

As Woosh and I have remarked, the AZ is still only approved for emergency use. The current widespread use we've started will effectively become the larger scale trial eventually.
But, outside the original trials, we don't even see a single report of someone dying after receiving the vaccine - for example, if they actually had Covid-19 at the time, or got it later. Nor even going to hospital!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But, outside the original trials, we don't even see a single report of someone dying after receiving the vaccine - for example, if they actually had Covid-19 at the time, or got it later. Nor even going to hospital!
Give it time!

In many areas like mine we've only just started to use the AZ as the Pfizer ran out.

I wouldn't expect people to be dropping dead as they walked out of the vaccination centres. ;)

Also don't foget we are speaking of a younger age group, the Pfizer having gone into the 80s and the AZ since going more into the 70s.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016

They are doing well.
So far (touch wood) daughter has only experienced very mild symptoms. By her reckoning she has 5 days left to quarantine, according to app she has 9..She had test at work then confirmed by govt test. App goes by latter. She, ll be going by app. So far no fever, no cough. Husband same. Both kids totally unaffected.. (so far)???? Fingers crossed still.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Not quite.

Two people died during the AZ trials, not necessarily due to the vaccine but comparing with the Israeli experience, given the relatively small scale of the AZ trials.

As Woosh and I have remarked, the AZ is still only approved for emergency use. The current widespread use we've started will effectively become the larger scale trial eventually, basically us following the Israelis widespread application anyway.
The Israeli experience is mostly with the Pfizer product and is extremely positive. Hospital admissions greatly reduced, but unfortunately there are fatalities, from pre vaccinated infection cases

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Makes you wonder how anything gets done. I hated meetings when I worked. Always seemed utterly pointless, just folk letting off self esteem.
I chaired 2 Engineering Board meetings using a Zoom equivalent and was a member of a few accreditation panels, in the lockdown period. My experience was as follows.
For the first Engineering board, I was unable to get my camera working, but all the other members had theirs on. The effect was excellent. They couldn't see me, but I they. It had a Wizard of Oz vibe, and was extremely productive. At the second ,when I had a more normal response, people were getting used to the novelty. The accreditation panels were more off screen but find. Anyway at the second Board meeting, I announced my retirement / resignation ..but it was only a meeting earlier than the structured duration. There was of course weeping and gnashing of teeth ..

• :D
Reactions: Zlatan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Israeli experience is mostly with the Pfizer product and is extremely positive.
The Pfizer experience here looks very positive too, with all 5 million initial doses used up.

Like Woosh I'd have preferred to have had that, but with no more Pfizer until April we only have the AZ until then.

• Informative
Reactions: POLLY and Zlatan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Makes you wonder how anything gets done. I hated meetings when I worked. Always seemed utterly pointless, just folk letting off self esteem.
How true that is.

Makes me wonder of that is what is fundamentally wrong with cabinet government.

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
At least post Brexit we have now reverted back to having a game of good ol' cricket broadcast live from colonies on the box for free - Boris and Farage et al must have been up 4am with a proud stiffy - it's taking some explaining to kids what it's about and why it's the only sport with scheduled breakfast, lunch, tea & dinner + midnight snack breaks.

Reactions: Nev and Zlatan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sexist comment!. Or have you looked under the bonnet?
We've only ever had one known Polly in this forum's membership list, many years ago. He was Spanish living in the mountainous north east and rode a BH e-bike with the second series Panasonic mid drive motor.

His membership name Polly was his son's idea of a joke and his posts, like many other older ones, have disappeared with a change of forum hosting.

This new Polly doesn't appear to be him, showing as a Chesterfield 58 year old, but in the absence of any other information, the Polly of this forum remains male until corrected to either female or psittacophile in nature.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jesus H Christ

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I chaired 2 Engineering Board meetings using a Zoom equivalent and was a member of a few accreditation panels, in the lockdown period. My experience was as follows.
For the first Engineering board, I was unable to get my camera working, but all the other members had theirs on. The effect was excellent. They couldn't see me, but I they. It had a Wizard of Oz vibe, and was extremely productive. At the second ,when I had a more normal response, people were getting used to the novelty. The accreditation panels were more off screen but find. Anyway at the second Board meeting, I announced my retirement / resignation ..but it was only a meeting earlier than the structured duration. There was of course weeping and gnashing of teeth ..
Was anyone else upset as well?
Sorry couldn't help it :D before Jesus gets his oar in!

Advertisers