Brexit, for once some facts.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Let me be the first to proudly announce another high spot for would be spaffers everywhere

"Breaking - Iain Duncan Smith appointed as new thick-as-a-post-Brexit Britain government adviser...he will chair the Taskforce on Innovation, Growth and Regulatory Reform (TIGGR) alongside Theresa Villiers and George Freeman.

How much will this new Coven manage to waste achieving nothing
(And that is being optimistic, if they achieve something we'll really be in trouble , though there won't be any small print this time)
He, s been moved out of harms way.. And bought... He, s one of leading advocates of opening economy up...
Surprising allegiances that spring up.. Flecc and IDS singing from same hymm book..
Might be right... Who knows.. Apparently Piers Morgan knows everything these days

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
He, s been moved out of harms way.. And bought... He, s one of leading advocates of opening economy up...
Surprising allegiances that spring up.. Flecc and IDS singing from same hymm book..
Might be right... Who knows.. Apparently Piers Morgan knows everything these days
I take your points on that no doubt Johnson thinks to winkle them away from the crg

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Yes, piers Morgan does indeed know everything. And boris will be a 21st century churchill. The only snag with all the steaming populist horseshit that's been enthralling the gormless electorate for the past few years is the government's track record over the pandemic. Brexit and the next few years is guaranteed to be an even bigger clusterfuck.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Yes, piers Morgan does indeed know everything. And boris will be a 21st century churchill. The only snag with all the steaming populist horseshit that's been enthralling the gormless electorate for the past few years is the government's track record over the pandemic. Brexit and the next few years is guaranteed to be an even bigger clusterfuck.
What it can get worse. I, m staying in my garage.. Just when I thought it was safe to come out.
But don't worry JA, Starmer is just over the hill blowing his bugle and riding a great big white steed to our rescue. We have nothing to fear.
Apparently Micron has taken to begging Johnson to return to EU.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Smartest move Boris could possibly make is to return to the EU.

As things stand he's in it up to his neck with 400 billion plus of Covid debt, on top of a very high national debt. Everyone is agreed that we're in for ten years of falling earnings due to Brexit, so another loser for him.

But if he returns to the EU and joins the euro, the strength of the pound added to it will mean a huge boost to the EU and the euro and Boris could triumphantly claim he's rescued the EU, showing his prowess as a great international statesman.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Smartest move Boris could possibly make is to return to the EU.

As things stand he's in it up to his neck with 400 billion plus of Covid debt, on top of a very high national debt. Everyone is agreed that we're in for ten years of falling earnings due to Brexit, so another loser for him.

But if he returns to the EU and joins the euro, the strength of the pound added to it will mean a huge boost to the EU and the euro and Boris could triumphantly claim he's rescued the EU, showing his prowess as a great international statesman.
Too clever for them I suspect, but a great plan!

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
What it can get worse. I, m staying in my garage.. Just when I thought it was safe to come out.
But don't worry JA, Starmer is just over the hill blowing his bugle and riding a great big white steed to our rescue. We have nothing to fear.
I think it's a Brexit Unicorn he's riding! :D

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Let me be the first to proudly announce another high spot for would be spaffers everywhere

"Breaking - Iain Duncan Smith appointed as new thick-as-a-post-Brexit Britain government adviser...he will chair the Taskforce on Innovation, Growth and Regulatory Reform (TIGGR) alongside Theresa Villiers and George Freeman.

(And that is being optimistic, if they achieve something we'll really be in trouble , though there won't be any small print this time)
Some other rejigging going on so idle hands are kept busy and not plotting leadership ambitions / stabs in back....

Lord David Frost replaces Michael Gove as co-chair of a committee on implementing the Brexit withdrawal deal.

The peer said Mr Gove had done an "extraordinary job for this country"

Gove has now been given the task of tackling the post-Covid backlog in public services, including the courts, the NHS, schools and universities, as part of his new role on a public services subcommittee on the national recovery taskforce.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
That will will be impossible until the UK learns metric.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

Why do they have the gold?
Why do they have the power?
Why, why, why, why, why?
Do they have the friends at the top?
Why do they have the jobs at the top?

We've got nothing, always had nothing
Nothing but holes and millions of them
Living in holes, dying in holes
Holes in our bellies and holes in our clothes

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
That will will be impossible until the UK learns metric.
Yep, us Brits have always found multiplying by powers of 10 very difficult ever since metric system was adopted in engineering in 1965. Inches, feet, yards, chains and furlongs were so easy.
But actually for everyday use there is something more natural and intuitive about many imperial units that grew out of usage... Humans like to use numbers between 1 and 10 for obvious reasons (we have 10 digits visible and know full well the value of each) We understand naturally the 3 ness of 3.. So units that fit in with that are more accepted. Feet for height. Gallons for fuel, pints for milk... Natural, intuitive. They have there place. Who wants to be 185cm tall. 6 feet is much better. SI and metric might be better for calculations but there is a place for natuallly developed units. Not seeing that is part of problem.
Being dictated to about which units we should use is pretentious and is part of problem with EU. Well spotted Danidl.

Last edited:

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
In a word, no. voters like you will need much more corrective training, as they say in the mod. fear not, boris will pile it on. Soon the past year will seem an insignificant blip.

• Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
In a word, no. voters like you will need much more corrective training, as they say in the mod. fear not, boris will pile it on. Soon the past year will seem an insignificant blip.
Voters like me?? What big and ugly? And how pray may I ask will you avoid the corrective training? Moving to your spot abroad??

• :D

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Yep, us Brits have always found multiplying by powers of 10 very difficult ever since metric system was adopted in engineering in 1965. Inches, feet, yards, chains and furlongs were so easy.
But actually for everyday use there is something more natural and intuitive about many imperial units that grew out of usage... Humans like to use numbers between 1 and 10 for obvious reasons (we have 10 digits visible and know full well the value of each) We understand naturally the 3 ness of 3.. So units that fit in with that are more accepted. Feet for height. Gallons for fuel, pints for milk... Natural, intuitive. They have there place. Who wants to be 185cm tall. 6 feet is much better. SI and metric might be better for calculations but there is a place for natuallly developed units. Not seeing that is part of problem.
Being dictated to about which units we should use is pretentious and is part of problem with EU. Well spotted Danidl.
Our use of units was spectacularly complicated.

How many pounds in a stone? Well, umm, that depends. 14 for standard human weight. 15 for some purposes related to wool. Just checked because I know there are other multiples - Wiki claims 4 to 26 - which is slightly wider range than I remember.

What drill bit is just smaller than 1/2"? 1/4? 3/8? 7/16? 15/32? 31/64? And if that is slightly too big, what is the next step?

One of the most difficult was apothecaries measures. Pound, Ounce, Dram, Scruple, Grain. And as a grain is almost 65 milligrams, it is far too large a unit for many medicines! (Which means use of fractions or decimals...) And a whole set of special characters to go along with the measurements. And complex rules for writing amounts.

(We still see the fallout of haphazard conversions. With things like aspirin in 300 and 325 milligrams dosages depending whether they used the simplified or more accurate way of converting five grains.)

Advertisers