Brexit, for once some facts.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
I’m starting to get concerned that Johnson and his clown show are heading towards another catastrophic mistake. Every day the proposed rate of easing lockdown restrictions seems to accelerate. They are now floating the idea of mass gatherings like music festivals happening from the end of May. This is dangerous because it’s raising people’s expectations and fuelling that sense of it all being over which led to the second wave.

Ian Duncan Smith was saying this morning that the scientists are wrong to say we should be looking at infection rates. He says it’s hospitalisation rates which matter and the vaccine reduces that. The problem with this approach is, each infection is an opportunity for a virus mutation, a higher rate of infection equals a higher probability of mutation, one of which may escape the vaccine protection.

They never learn and seem to be stuck in an endless loop of repeating the same mistakes. They should open schools next month and then pause to see what happens before moving onto an easing of social gatherings. By doing it a step at a time, you know what to shut down if infections suddenly spike. Good News Party Boy will never buy into that though.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It’s not practical to cater for individual’s particular circumstances. Getting vaccinated has to be people’s number one priority. Everything else comes second on vaccine day.
The name of the game has to be the most jabs per day into the most arms . Stragglers can be picked up later. This is where Herd Immunity actually works. But my concern then moves in to giving or not giving the second jab at the correct interval,and whether this facilitates mutant propagation.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Partner got a phone call on Friday - vaccine appointment will be at 16:44 on a day this week. No choice. No discussion. Apparently two minutely intervals throughout the day.
Could probably have turned up when they liked within reason.

When I was having mine a woman ahead of me in the queue was boasting to another that she was one and a half hours late, but they accepted her without batting an eyelid.

The timings are probably just to try to keep order and make the flow through smoother.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I’m starting to get concerned that Johnson and his clown show are heading towards another catastrophic mistake. Every day the proposed rate of easing lockdown restrictions seems to accelerate. They are now floating the idea of mass gatherings like music festivals happening from the end of May. This is dangerous because it’s raising people’s expectations and fuelling that sense of it all being over which led to the second wave.

Ian Duncan Smith was saying this morning that the scientists are wrong to say we should be looking at infection rates. He says it’s hospitalisation rates which matter and the vaccine reduces that. The problem with this approach is, each infection is an opportunity for a virus mutation, a higher rate of infection equals a higher probability of mutation, one of which may escape the vaccine protection.

They never learn and seem to be stuck in an endless loop of repeating the same mistakes. They should open schools next month and then pause to see what happens before moving onto an easing of social gatherings. By doing it a step at a time, you know what to shut down if infections suddenly spike. Good News Party Boy will never buy into that though.
IDS is a danger, he was planning next wave whilst at peak of this. He actually sounded quite a lunatic. Unfortunately he isn't alone. Business leaders especially hospitality section don't see restrictions as a preventative measure but just a restriction on their profits.
See what Boris says tomorrow,he might not be perfect but he is infinitely better than many of his colleagues to his right.
Nice to see Guardian has been promoted in flecc's eyes. They now push Government propoganda.Wonder if Katherine Viner knows.
I like the bias that any information/data lending validity to stance taken over vaccine is propoganda but any that argues against it is factual. Great use of prejudice. Nice one flecc

Last edited:

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
The name of the game has to be the most jabs per day into the most arms . Stragglers can be picked up later. This is where Herd Immunity actually works. But my concern then moves in to giving or not giving the second jab at the correct interval,and whether this facilitates mutant propagation.
I think mutant strains capable of evading the current vaccines is an important threat which is being neglected by the government. It has the potential to put us back many months, resulting in more death and lockdown. This is my only concern regarding delaying the second dose. Some credible people have said the delay could increase the probability of a vaccine resistant strain developing.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
IDS is a danger, he was planning next wave whilst at peak of this. He actually sounded quite a lunatic. Unfortunately he isn't alone. Business leaders especially hospitality section don't see restrictions as a preventative measure but just a restriction on their profits.
See what Boris says tomorrow,he might not be perfect but he is infinitely better than many of his colleagues to his right.
Nice to see Guardian has been promoted in flecc's eyes. They now push Government propoganda.Wonder if Katherine Viner knows.
IDS is a fool and isn’t mentally fit to hold a public office.

I predict that with a matter of weeks, the Mail & Express will have been ordered to turn their guns on home working. The billionaire property investors will want the cannon fodder back in their battery pen offices and buying overpriced shitty coffee.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
IDS is a fool and isn’t mentally fit to hold a public office.

I predict that with a matter of weeks, the Mail & Express will have been ordered to turn their guns on home working. The billionaire property investors will want the cannon fodder back in their battery pen offices and buying overpriced shitty coffee.
It all revolves around whether BJ can muster enough support to keep IDS and his cronies in their place. There are 2 parties within Tories at moment.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I like the bias that any information/data lending validity to stance taken over vaccine is propoganda but any that argues against it is factual. Great use of prejudice. Nice one flecc
Not prejudice, that's your speciality.

I was just reflecting the quantity of and number of sources for the promotion of delayed second doses, techniques which are the very definition of propaganda.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk

The BBC's Andrew Marr also asks Matt Hancock about summer holidays.

Marr says Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said people should not book domestic holidays and Prime Minister Boris Johnson says it is much too early to book holidays.

"But you say 'I've booked a holiday in Cornwall', who should people listen to?" Marr asks

"I booked mine ages ago," says Hancock.

Meanwhile the well off are already ahead of the game and on their winter hols abroad using loopholes:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016

Yes, it's an old article but David Spieghalrer has absolutely nothing to gain from giving out government propoganda. He as often spoken against government but when he says something remotely supportive, it's propoganda. Don't be ridiculous flecc.
He conducted analysis and wrote report in good faith. Funny how Canadians said same but no doubt they are backing our government as well.

• Disagree
Reactions: flecc

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
It all revolves around whether BJ can muster enough support to keep IDS and his cronies in their place. There are 2 parties within Tories at moment.
The whole process keeps coming back to the same mistake. The politicians mistake education for intelligence. The politicians are generally very well educated, but incredibly stupid. The scientists not so well educated, but incredibly clever. Unfortunately, the well educated dictate the agenda.

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Yes, it's an old article but David Spieghalrer has absolutely nothing to gain from giving out government propoganda. He as often spoken against government but when he says something remotely supportive, it's propoganda. Don't be ridiculous flecc.
He conducted analysis and wrote report in good faith. Funny how Canadians said same but no doubt they are backing our government as well.
As I posted:

"I was just reflecting the quantity of and number of sources for the promotion of delayed second doses, techniques which are the very definition of propaganda."

That was not a comment specifically about Spiegelhalter but about the multiplicity.

Some within that will of course be genuine commentators while others will have been prompted, so i'm entitled to be supicious and comment accordingly.

"David Spieghalrer has absolutely nothing to gain from giving out government propoganda."

Of course he has, he's a government employee and no doubt hopes to continue to be in lucrative posts. But I agree with him on the government's use of statistics on deaths.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It’s not practical to cater for individual’s particular circumstances. Getting vaccinated has to be people’s number one priority. Everything else comes second on vaccine day.
A next-door neighbour is starting chemotherapy any day soon. I suspect that could be a more important issue for him.

And it was meant more to pass on that our system is not contacting to say "Make an appointment" which some others seem to have done.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Could probably have turned up when they liked within reason.

When I was having mine a woman ahead of me in the queue was boasting to another that she was one and a half hours late, but they accepted her without batting an eyelid.

The timings are probably just to try to keep order and make the flow through smoother.
Possibly - but we will do our best to get there spot on time. (I have to drive but am not getting vaccinated.) I'd hope everyone else also tries to do so.

Advertisers