Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
the U.K. is set to pass the thresh for herd immunity on Monday next week.
The herd immunity claim reads like PR. Of course, would be good, if true as claimed.

NEWS FEATURE
18 March 2021

Five reasons why COVID herd immunity is probably impossible

Even with vaccination efforts in full force, the theoretical threshold for vanquishing COVID-19 looks to be out of reach.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00728-2

The proportion of the population that must be vaccinated against COVID-19 to begin inducing herd immunity is not known. This is an important area of research and will likely vary according to the community, the vaccine, the populations prioritized for vaccination, and other factors.

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/herd-immunity-lockdowns-and-covid-19

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
0.0004% chance of something which is probably non fatal happening and no certainty there is a link. Do you have your tooth numbed for a dental filling? I bet you base jump from tall buildings too you daredevi
the risk may be higher in small groups of people.
So far only 3 deaths among the young women in the UK due to clots, but because these women belong to the low risk group, not many of them, maybe in the low thousands, have been vaccinated.
The issue has a larger application than just covid vaccines. It has been assumed that viruses don't cross species so to justify their use as vectors for other medicines.
If the link is proven, this type of vaccines (AZ) may not be approved in the future.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You’re nails though flecc. Not like us puffters who choose an anaesthetic;)
It really is better without. With anaesthetic means a few hours afterwards with a thick lip which can be accidentally bitten and a stiff and awkward jaw and even with some of the drilling pain after effects since anaesthetic impedes recovery.

Without means a litle more pain for only a few moments. My dentist is opposite the Sainsburys I use so I combine both, parking in Sainsburys, get the treatment then back over to get my shopping feeling fine with no after effects.

Reactions: oldgroaner

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I've heard that the risk of getting serious blood clots from the AZ vaccine is similar to the risk of a plane landing on your house and killing everyone inside. Now most people aren't going to worry about that kind of risk, but I have always considered it a possibility.

The last thing I do at night before going to bed is ensure the landing light is switched off ;)

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Rather a more rounded summary of vaccine situation than OG likes to spread.

Interesting article from head of Moderna.
It is accurate. It is why Ireland is more agile than the UK, it is why NI remains a basket case. It is why Israel was able to act in such a fashion that it got its population more quickly vaccinated than elsewhere. Health care in the EU is a National competence , not an EU one, so every country had to agree. That slows things down. NI could be even more agile than Ireland except it is subservient in every respect to Whitehall.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I've heard that the risk of getting serious blood clots from the AZ vaccine is similar to the risk of a plane landing on your house and killing everyone inside. Now most people aren't going to worry about that kind of risk, but I have always considered it a possibility.

The last thing I do at night before going to bed is ensure the landing light is switched off ;)
When I started worrying about that, I moved in between The Gherkin and The Leadenhall Building.

My mother had this thing about leaving the landing light on all night, every night. Daren't think how much power was simply wasted over the years - in the days of tungsten filaments, probably 100W.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Similar happened right here close to me by Biggin Hill. An executive jet hit problems and couldn't make the runway and the pilot took the risk of trying to make it over a row of houses instead of hitting the woods alongside with certain death. He didn't make it, demolishing the last two houses.

By sheer good fortune one family was out, the other family away on holiday, but the aircrew died.

So that risk is very real.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev and oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Try something else to rubbish your country because this isn’t it.
I make allowances for idiots, but this is plain stupid.
Why are you identifying viewing this vaccine as having certain dangerous side effects that require research and care in it's use, with rubbishing this country?

It is you that has somehow conflated this vaccine with national pride.
Childish.

Following your logic the Tory party by following the same approach are rubbishing this country.
I have news for you, they are rubbishing the country, and by voting them into power, you are an accomplice to the vandalism.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My mother had this thing about leaving the landing light on all night, every night. Daren't think how much power was simply wasted over the years - in the days of tungsten filaments, probably 100W.
Surprisingly little, under 300 kiloWatt and £50 a year at present prices.

Cheaper than a broken leg or death falling down the stairs.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Following a very small car discretely labelled 'smart' yesterday I thought there should be a requirement for SUV's to carry a large contrasting logo on the back saying 'stupid'; the larger the car the larger the logo.

To be part of the manufacturer design for all new ones (stickon label for 2021 reg and before); and to be prominent during at least 50% of any advert.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It really is better without. With anaesthetic means a few hours afterwards with a thick lip which can be accidentally bitten and a stiff and awkward jaw and even with some of the drilling pain after effects since anaesthetic impedes recovery.

Without means a litle more pain for only a few moments. My dentist is opposite the Sainsburys I use so I combine both, parking in Sainsburys, get the treatment then back over to get my shopping feeling fine with no after effects.
Most dental anaesthetics injections include adrenalin. This helps stop the anaesthetic moving away from the site of the injection. However, some people cannot take the adrenalin (e.g. those who are hypothyroid) and, in them, the non-adrenalin products disperse more quickly.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Surprisingly little, under 300 kiloWatt and £50 a year at present prices.

Cheaper than a broken leg or death falling down the stairs.
Multiply by the number of houses - it did seem to be fairly common practice at one time.

Death by falling down the stairs would have saved a fortune. And been quite impressive when she moved to a bungalow. :)

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Following a very small car discretely labelled 'smart' yesterday I thought there should be a requirement for SUV's to carry a large contrasting logo on the back saying 'stupid'; the larger the car the larger the logo.

To be part of the manufacturer design for all new ones (stickon label for 2021 reg and before); and to be prominent during at least 50% of any advert.
You'll be disappointed to learn that the electric car makers have been adding e-SUVs to their e-car ranges, plus the odd people carrier as well. Obviously they aren't going to go away.

Two examples below. An SUV from Land Rover and a 7 seat people carrier from Mercedes:

Velar.jpg

EQV.jpg

• Informative

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
You'll be disappointed to learn that the electric car makers have been adding e-SUVs to their e-car ranges, plus the odd people carrier as well. Obviously they aren't going to go away.

Two examples below. An SUV from Land Rover and a 7 seat people carrier from Mercedes:

View attachment 41818

View attachment 41819
One of the few pluses is that the price differential is bigger. They need higher capacity batteries for equivalent range and that adds to the cost proportionately more than simply a slightly more powerful engine/bigger tank as in oil-powered vehicles.

I've often wished that I could buy a very modest size car but have a larger one easily available at a reasonable cost. A car company offering a package of a Fiesta or Focus with two weeks a year of a loaned Galaxy or Tourneo might prove quite popular.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
One of the few pluses is that the price differential is bigger. They need higher capacity batteries for equivalent range and that adds to the cost proportionately more than simply a slightly more powerful engine/bigger tank as in oil-powered vehicles.
The people who buy SUVs don't care about cost, as litle as 5 mpg with the civil version of the Hummer, so an e-SUV's cost won't deter them.

I've often wished that I could buy a very modest size car but have a larger one easily available at a reasonable cost. A car company offering a package of a Fiesta or Focus with two weeks a year of a loaned Galaxy or Tourneo might prove quite popular.
I've owned two in the past, a little nippy town car and an open road cruiser, but found it not worth while in the end. And rental or loaned cars are a pain, the hassle being they always find something imaginary to charge extra so costs always end up higher.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Multiply by the number of houses - it did seem to be fairly common practice at one time.
True, but it was even cheaper back then.

And with LEDs it's no longer a problem. My kitchen needed a minimum of 150 watts of tungsten but now has a 4 bulb LED array totalling 14 watts. An LED of around 3 Watts would be plenty for a landing, costing under £1.50 a year.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
True, but it was even cheaper back then.

And with LEDs it's no longer a problem. My kitchen needed a minimum of 150 watts of tungsten but now has a 4 bulb LED array totalling 14 watts. An LED of around 3 Watts would be plenty for a landing, costing under £1.50 a year.
Agreed that it is almost totally insigificant now. Especially as we have a wide range of various wattages and things like IR sensor lights which would only come on when needed.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

View attachment 41818

View attachment 41819
I went MPV ..as the French say or monospace or small Small SUV in 97 with a Scenic and never went back. The upright position really suits, as does snooping over hedges .

Advertisers