Brexit, for once some facts.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
It really is better without. With anaesthetic means a few hours afterwards with a thick lip which can be accidentally bitten and a stiff and awkward jaw and even with some of the drilling pain after effects since anaesthetic impedes recovery.

Without means a litle more pain for only a few moments. My dentist is opposite the Sainsburys I use so I combine both, parking in Sainsburys, get the treatment then back over to get my shopping feeling fine with no after effects.
Still wouldn’t fancy it. I’m quite fortunate only ever having needed two fillings. Both times I elected for a local.

Reactions: oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Still wouldn’t fancy it. I’m quite fortunate only ever having needed two fillings. Both times I elected for a local.
I'm from the pre-Fluoride generation when we all had fillings galore and plenty of extractions too. The toothpastes back then were appalling, all abrasive to one degree or another. We used Eucryl which was an abrasive powder in a flat container like a shoe polish tin. The routine was wet the brush, dab it onto the powder to coat the brush and then scrub the teeth which ground off any soiling, plus the tooth enamel. Amazingly such tooth powders are still available.

• Informative
Reactions: Jesus H Christ

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I went MPV ..as the French say or monospace or small Small SUV in 97 with a Scenic and never went back. The upright position really suits, as does snooping over hedges .
We thought of a Scenic at one point, but went for a Skoda Roomster. Quite small but with a nice high position and lots of space and pretty economical. We wouldn't have chosen the diesel if we'd know then what we know now.

We were partly put off the Scenic by a review that said something like It isn't and advantage having two sunroofs if they both leak.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Following a very small car discretely labelled 'smart' yesterday I thought there should be a requirement for SUV's to carry a large contrasting logo on the back saying 'stupid'; the larger the car the larger the logo.

To be part of the manufacturer design for all new ones (stickon label for 2021 reg and before); and to be prominent during at least 50% of any advert.
There is an accepted term that can be used to indicate the stupidity level
Evoque

RRP: From £31,505
Towing capacity: 1,600 to 2,000 kg
Cargo volume: 472 L, 1,156 L with seat area
Make: Land Rover
Engine: 1.5 L 3-cylinder, 2.0 L 4-cylinder, 2.0 L 4-cylinder diesel

Designed by someone lousy at creating a car with sensible sized rear window, (Though Beckams skinny bird actually claimed to have designed it)
And the towing capacity reads like a Brexit promise, best only driven with loads like that downhill.
With the smallest engine and the heaviest load you would have to take a run at it to clear a speed bump

As to the styling, it has the sort of face only a mother could love
And this was on a motoring site in response to a query on reliability

"Unfortunately, it seems build quality can be variable on the Evoque. Most problems centre on the non-engine electrics, especially around the air-con and sat-nav units, with gearbox woes a close second, followed by engine and suspension issues. Automatic gearbox problems on the Evoque are fairly common.

Reminds me somehow of the good old summer days when you could tell it was a bank holiday, by the number of cars by the side of the road being given a drink of cold water.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I'm from the pre-Fluoride generation when we all had fillings galore and plenty of extractions too. The toothpastes back then were appalling, all abrasive to one degree or another. We used Eucryl which was an abrasive powder in a flat container like a shoe polish tin. The routine was wet the brush, dab it onto the powder to coat the brush and then scrub the teeth which ground off any soiling, plus the tooth enamel. Amazingly such tooth powders are still available.
I remember as a teenager asking my dentist if Eucryl will damage your teeth.
He gave me a very odd look and said.
"Only if you've got any" :cool:

Reactions: Nev and flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016

Just for OG...
BTW, the Evoque is one of nicest cars on road. Think it looks amazing, drives great, good road presence, handles fantastic for a big car, good on fuel, quiet, great interior..
Don't think Mrs Beckham actually contributed much...
Think it will be next car... Got XF 18 months or so ago, but nearly got Evoque.. Think we will next time, especially so considering OG*s opinion. Didn't realise they were that good.
If they annoy OG, I, m having one. Drive it through Hull (don't worry I won't stop) looking for Tory meeting group. Might wave at all the fat plebs..
And, there seems even less rhyme or reason over tow limits. They did alter rules over them a few years back, reckon Flecc will know.. Generally I, d never tow anything heavier than tow vehicle but I believe even after rule changes a few dedicated 4x4s still have 3. 5 tonnes towing limit. 1500kg is ample for most applications. My XF tows ski boat easy enough, fairly sure any of Evoques would cope. One of best tow vehicles I, ve ever had was lowly C max focus with 1.6 tdci... Great tow bus.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There is an accepted term that can be used to indicate the stupidity level
Evoque

RRP: From £31,505
Towing capacity: 1,600 to 2,000 kg
Cargo volume: 472 L, 1,156 L with seat area
Make: Land Rover
Engine: 1.5 L 3-cylinder, 2.0 L 4-cylinder, 2.0 L 4-cylinder diesel

Designed by someone lousy at creating a car with sensible sized rear window, (Though Beckams skinny bird actually claimed to have designed it)
And the towing capacity reads like a Brexit promise, best only driven with loads like that downhill.
With the smallest engine and the heaviest load you would have to take a run at it to clear a speed bump

As to the styling, it has the sort of face only a mother could love
And this was on a motoring site in response to a query on reliability

"Unfortunately, it seems build quality can be variable on the Evoque. Most problems centre on the non-engine electrics, especially around the air-con and sat-nav units, with gearbox woes a close second, followed by engine and suspension issues. Automatic gearbox problems on the Evoque are fairly common.

Reminds me somehow of the good old summer days when you could tell it was a bank holiday, by the number of cars by the side of the road being given a drink of cold water.
Soon to be history though, since Jaguar-Landrover are going all electric in five years time. Volvo too and others, the very high reliability of electric drive and doing away with gearbox transmission and so much else that caused trouble are very appealing.

Commercials too, even Renault Trucks are going all electric on their ZE range, including even a tractor unit to tow the trailers for artics. I don't think the public are aware of the sheer pace of progress on e-vehicles, for the first time in March an e-car was one of the top ten selling cars worldwide. Around here all the Amazon deliveries are being made by their own electric van fleet instead of independent couriers:

Amazon Van.jpg

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Sounds horrendous.

Most dentists these days focus on cosmetic dental work. I guess the drilling and yanking of teeth market is reducing with better tooth pastes and brushes being available.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
We thought of a Scenic at one point, but went for a Skoda Roomster. Quite small but with a nice high position and lots of space and pretty economical. We wouldn't have chosen the diesel if we'd know then what we know now.

We were partly put off the Scenic by a review that said something like It isn't and advantage having two sunroofs if they both leak.
Funny you should mention that. I loved the sunroof and it never leaked... Mind you it was no fun the day I drove up to Belfast for a meeting at the university and the roof refused to close during a cloudburst.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Just for OG...
BTW, the Evoque is one of nicest cars on road. Think it looks amazing, drives great, good road presence, handles fantastic for a big car, good on fuel, quiet, great interior..
Don't think Mrs Beckham actually contributed much...
Think it will be next car... Got XF 18 months or so ago, but nearly got Evoque.. Think we will next time, especially so considering OG*s opinion. Didn't realise they were that good.
If they annoy OG, I, m having one. Drive it through Hull (don't worry I won't stop) looking for Tory meeting group. Might wave at all the fat plebs..
And, there seems even less rhyme or reason over tow limits. They did alter rules over them a few years back, reckon Flecc will know.. Generally I, d never tow anything heavier than tow vehicle but I believe even after rule changes a few dedicated 4x4s still have 3. 5 tonnes towing limit. 1500kg is ample for most applications. My XF tows ski boat easy enough, fairly sure any of Evoques would cope. One of best tow vehicles I, ve ever had was lowly C max focus with 1.6 tdci... Great tow bus.
Biggest load of expensive and ugly trash on the road,
You deserve one.
I enjoyed the Der Sturmer article, usual fiction, so support for Brexit must be at 150% of the population if the Express are running the poll

• :D
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I'm from the pre-Fluoride generation
Most of us are still in the pre-fluoride generation - it is only added in a modest number of locations in England - none in Wales. And I have never lived anywhere with significant fluoride already in the water, nor added.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Most of us are still in the pre-fluoride generation - it is only added in a modest number of locations in England - none in Wales. And I have never lived anywhere with significant fluoride already in the water, nor added.
Misunderstanding I think, nobody is in the pre-Fluoride generation if they use toothpaste, since they all contain all the fluoride we ever need. It's really not important to add it to water supplies, though it's a good precaution in moderation.

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Misunderstanding I think, nobody is in the pre-Fluoride generation if they use toothpaste, since they all contain all the fluoride we ever need. It's really not important to add it to water supplies, though it's a good precaution in moderation.
Not so - there are many toothpastes without added fluoride.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not so - there are many toothpastes without added fluoride.
I'm so use to seeing the word fluoride on the tubes I thought it was all, I'm sure it must be most.

I think anyone would be daft to use one without, especially in a low fluoride water area.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Biggest load of expensive and ugly trash on the road,
You deserve one.
I enjoyed the Der Sturmer article, usual fiction, so support for Brexit must be at 150% of the population if the Express are running the poll
Bet you, ve never even been in one. But don't worry JLR won't be upset at you not wanting one, you don't quite make their target market. To be honest, the XF and Evoque we borrowed are amongst most impressive cars I, ve driven. XF much nicer than 5 series and Evoque drove just about as good. If anything more comfortable. Jag handles better... And unbelievably economic... 55mpg no problem.. Incredible cars. Very underrated. And don't get me started on BMW... Costs you £100 to book for a service. Never ever again for me.

UK dropped to 13th in Europe and world today on death rate. Now below Italy, if current pattern continues its highly likely USA will also have higher rate than UK in near future.. USA at 14th is first none European country...
But as mentioned before suspect there is some under reporting going on in countries apparently below 14th..???

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
et you, ve never even been in one. But don't worry JLR won't be upset at you not wanting one, you don't quite make their target market.
I haven't driven one, true, merely sat in one, the immediate impression is basically it's a truck, with lousy rear view through a rear window like a letter box.
They are a nuisance at roundabouts, blocking the view of normal cars as the have all the presence of a tall brick wall.
Still no doubt they will impress those who imagine they are a status symbol rather than indicating the owner has more money than sense.
More styling on the rear end of a pig.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I haven't driven one, true, merely sat in one, the immediate impression is basically it's a truck, with lousy rear view through a rear window like a letter box.
They are a nuisance at roundabouts, blocking the view of normal cars as the have all the presence of a tall brick wall.
Still no doubt they will impress those who imagine they are a status symbol rather than indicating the owner has more money than sense.
More styling on the rear end of a pig.
Yep, rear vision is compromised... Joking apart, think it's a great looking car. They don't feel big to drive at all. Not sure but think it's a Callum design... He did F type.. And XF.. Might not be him??
You can get identical car with better rear vision... But personally think the coupe/chop look is fantastic. Choice of cars is a personal thing... I love them. As to status symbol... Not sure about that... It ain't such an expensive car.. Reckon as I get older I, ll want higher driving position... So think it will be an Evoque.. And size wise its only mid sized. Smaller than Range Rover... Half size of my camper van.. (3.3m tall) I, m fairly convinced higher driving position is safer...
Screenshot_20210408_190616.jpg

Got to be one of best looking cars on road... Especially for SUV, but I hate term.

Dangerous on roundabouts.? .. Go around them with flow of traffic OG, not against it.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I'm so use to seeing the word fluoride on the tubes I thought it was all, I'm sure it must be most.

I think anyone would be daft to use one without, especially in a low fluoride water area.
Not necessarily.

There is much concern that fluoride can affect thyroid function. Good thyroid function is a prerequisite for good and healthy teeth.

But we do not have a rationality which would see fluoride-free toothpaste sold in areas with high fluoride water supply. And (arguably) vice versa.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers