Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
View attachment 44477

The Bill hasn't passed scrutiny yet.
If a boat is "pushed back" and occupants later drown should officers be prosecuted?
I don't think the idea is for officers to go out and drown anyone and not face scrutiny.
Is she trying to protect officers? Or drown migrants? I suspect former... No doubt OG and Woosh will suspect latter...
The link explains it quite well.

View attachment 44478

So what would you do Oyster to try and reduce the number of illegal immigrants being exploited by organised gangs sending them into Chanel in inflatable dinghies?
Easy to question actions but harder to think of alternatives??
Personally, I haven't a clue but I, m not the one calling politicians fascists for trying to do their jobs..???
So to answer your question. No, she isn't advocating officers become untouchable in the event of a death of a migrant, unless you believe everything you read in the Guardian or reddit.
Officers must still act in good faith and have good reason for actions carried out. (as decided by courts)

It's a terrible situation to be put in. We either think boats should be turned around and sent back or we must just pick them up and let them in. Once we decide to send boats back there are bound to be situations where deaths occur. Should our Customs/police etc be prosecuted for carrying out their duty?
Or, if we pick boats up, and ensure safety of migrants, well that would just open flood gates... And our RNLI /Cystoms/Police would merely be bringing immigrants in all their time??? Which do you want? (figures are about 1500/month at moment)
Detention camps on islands before processing , immigration and customs is the established method. So using any of the less important islands off the UK mainland ..say the Scillies or maybe Jersey or Egg . The law of the sea is simple and long established and needs to be respected

• :D
Reactions: Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
they can leave because they are not criminals.
You should try to see things from the boat people's point of view.
That's not an answer...
I agree it's terrible for them.
Are you advocating just letting illegal immigrants in or not?
Because once we do how many will we be accepting?

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Detention camps on islands before processing , immigration and customs is the established method. So using any of the less important islands off the UK mainland ..say the Scillies or maybe Jersey or Egg . The law of the sea is simple and long established and needs to be respected
I think I know that aswell as anybody, and the rules of the sea are not being breached...
So you are suggesting Jersey becomes a staging post for illegal immigrants.?? Have you run this past any of the islands you suggest accept these "boat people",??

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That's not an answer...
that's because you don't understand international laws. They can choose where they want to go.
They transit many countries, the last one being France before reaching the UK.
It's up to our Courts to decide if they should be given leave to remain and for how long. Not Border Force.

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Yep, detention camps at Wexford sounds a great idea.
The less important Islands off the UK? Brilliant... Does that include Ireland?
Pretentious or what.

Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
that's because you don't understand international laws. They can choose where they want to go.
They transit many countries, the last one being France before reaching the UK.
It's up to our Courts to decide if they should be given leave to remain and for how long. Not Border Force.
So we should let them all in??
And, yes I, m not an expert on international law. Are you??
Seems our Border force don't understand international law either??
Or the Fascist Patel?

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
So we should let them all in??
And, yes I, m not an expert on international law. Are you??
Seems our Border force don't understand international law either??
there is no need to be an expert in law to understand the basics.
I have a little early advantage, one of my uni friends is a now retired professor in laws at University of Paris 8 Vincennes-Saint-Denis so I was primed into the basics 'nul ne peut ignorer la loi' when I was at uni.

Reactions: Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
there is no need to be an expert in law to understand the basics.
I have a little early advantage, one of my uni friends is a now retired professor in laws at University of Paris 8 Vincennes-Saint-Denis so I was primed into the basics 'nul ne peut ignorer la loi' when I was at uni.
Don't worry Woosh. Myself and Danidl have solved it. We are requisiting Sark and building a mass detention centre on it. All dinghies will be directed there and migrants kept on Island pending investigation. People on Sark will appreciate the jobs...They won't mind.
Only on here.
I think I, d rather Patel and Johnson sort it...
To be fair I think Starmer and Corbyn would have a better solution than yours and mine Danidl.
We could always use retired Cruise ships sat around Portland Harbour... Weymouth would really appreciate it..
Was it a joke answer Danidl?
Less important Islands around UK... Made me smile.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
I think I know that aswell as anybody, and the rules of the sea are not being breached...
So you are suggesting Jersey becomes a staging post for illegal immigrants.?? Have you run this past any of the islands you suggest accept these "boat people",??
What a lovely idea. A tax haven being overrun by the victims of all the crime it and all its offshore capital float on. I'd call it poetic justice.

Reactions: oyster and Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
No, and there won't be in any currently conceivable future.
It could happen with supercapacitors, not batteries: Rezap in flight using ground based microwave lasers. The bigger the freight eplane, the more often it gets zapped. Coffee would never be cold :cool:

Best suited to ground effect planes:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I would be very wary about introducing gaseous hydrogen into the standard gas network for similar reasons to those you suggest. I can recall the explosions which resulted when natural gas was used to replace town gas in the 1970 s .. The natural gas was dryer and this allowed the wadding between pipe segments to dessicate and leak.
Hydrogen bangs are big enough to destroy entire blocks.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You're misreading my post, I wasn't only referring to the temporary pandemic effects and work isn't only done in offices anyway.
Mail order manufacturing will never take off; maybe for small items. Truck driving drone-style remotely, could conceivably happen - maybe several could be driven at once by one operator? Semi-autonomous semis? (My semis are automatic, but sadly less frequent these days). Bakers could craft sugary lettering via the remote operating apparatus that surgeons use?

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Well look at the bright side of life. .. If the moon were closer, the tidal effects would be more pronounced, so the efficiency will improve. The the moonlight will be even brighter. However that effect of reducing distance will not happen .. If anything all that will happen is a reduction in sand dune formation.
...but the sky will be filled with randy moths! As the moon moves away, it's lower level of interaction with the earth's core will reduce magnetic fields which protect us from the sun! :eek:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I feel self drive cars are a bit like power from nuclear fusion, it always seems to be 10 to 15 years away.
If we spent the next 20 years making modular Thorium power stations, of which key modules could be replaced with fusion power modules later - humanity would have cheap, unlimited power, which won't destroy it.

A worldwide power grid would work best for renewables.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Just how many overflights will everyone be expected to put up with?

Noise. Privacy. Safety. Security. All are difficult issues at scale. Plus dealing with days when weather is too bad.
Drone flights could be restricted to above roads: It's wasteful of battery charge, but possible using existing supercapacitors - they'd charge while briefly touching charging points on lamp posts. Amazon could give away free Amazon Prime to any customer which installs a charging point on their roof, all monitored by their all-seeing Amazon Nest cameras... I've emailed that idea to jeff@amazon.com and expect a healthy reward, plus free Amazon Prime for life.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Well carry on calling people fascists who are nothing of the kind. The only person you are showing up is yourself.
Comparing Pritti Patel to Idi Amin... Thats brilliant. Only you could do it. Nice one.

Just stop calling people names OG. By all means criticise individuals but come on OG.. Priti Patel and Dominic Raab fascists. Ridiculous. And Woosh agrees. Amazing.
Before throwing names around about Raab I should check his family history. (dad, a jew, fled mainland Europe with rise of Nazis in 1938 and came here)
And their offspring publicly declares he doesn't believe in Human rights.
What the heck are you thinking?
You are as usual being completely silly
As for Patel pretty much the same attitude, after her parents got thrown out of Africa she has the mindset of the dictator who did that to them.
Just a pair of fascist nutters who seek to harm others and it doesn't matter who.
Ever wondered why?

Reactions: guerney

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
they can leave because they are not criminals.
You should try to see things from the boat people's point of view.
Unfortunately the conditioning is too deep for him to view the situation without Anti EU goggles dehumanising these people and distorting the view

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
As for Patel pretty much the same attitude, after her parents got thrown out of Africa she has the mindset of the dictator who did that to them.
Abused often become abusers, it's how they seek to understand why it happened.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
That's not an answer...
Because once we do how many will we be accepting?
Here's a point worth remembering

That the entire population of the UK is either personally an illegal immigrant, or their ancestors were.
Apart the modern few who passed through Immigration Control.
Which inevitably in the great cosmic stream of time is staffed by people who again are personally illegal immigrants or their ancestors were

And of course the entire human race fits into the same category historically

Advertisers