Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Because there is no data in column H for that group!

hang on ... I think I can see what you've done - you've gone and used column G instead of H - that comes out to 8.8 !
But that column is "Percentage of total age-group population" !?!
You are correct on this, 8.8 was indeed =SUM(G461:G464), Percentage of total age-group population.

There was in fact only one death in week 1 in the double dose, in cell E464, so the corresponding ASR for the double dose (=SUM(H461:H464 ) is practically zero.
That made a strong case for the vaccines.

The graphs I did for you were done with the correct ranges though.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
'Twas meant to be a capital pun rather than a serious suggestion that it is a joke. :)
I gathered...but the new travel restrictions (for what their worth, the new strain will be in many more places than sa, botswana hong Kong already) suggest this could be srious

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
I gathered...but the new travel restrictions (for what their worth, the new strain will be in many more places than sa, botswana hong Kong already) suggest this could be srious
Travel restrictions are now in place. I take that to mean the Botswana variant is here and spreading out of control.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Travel restrictions are now in place. I take that to mean the Botswana variant is here and spreading out of control.
I haven't read many reports, but one says:

Hundreds of people who have recently returned from South Africa, where the variant was detected, and neighbouring countries are expected to be tracked down and offered tests in an effort to avoid the new variant entering the UK.

But there is no "If you are one of these people call 999999, email sss@xxxx" or whatever. At least some of the people might be all too happy to self-identify and avoid the need for anyone to track them down!

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018

Hundreds of people who have recently returned from South Africa, where the variant was detected, and neighbouring countries are expected to be tracked down and offered tests in an effort to avoid the new variant entering the UK.

But there is no "If you are one of these people call 999999, email sss@xxxx" or whatever. At least some of the people might be all too happy to self-identify and avoid the need for anyone to track them down!
Anecdotal reports of reinfection, and infection of vaccinated by it in Gauteng. Interestingly it evolved at once in one untreated hiv patient (and seem to evade immune system through t cells). Our - lengthy, repetitive - dispute about natural immunity vs vaccination may just have been reduced to a malpigian tubule.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Anecdotal reports of reinfection, and infection of vaccinated by it in Gauteng. Interestingly it evolved at once in one untreated hiv patient (and seem to evade immune system through t cells). Our - lengthy, repetitive - dispute about natural immunity vs vaccination may just have been reduced to a malpigian tubule.
I suppose malpigian makes a change from Peppa Pigian.

The speed at which policies have changed suggested someone has some deeply unpleasant pants. Quite astonishing given how slow they have previously been. And no-one has (yet) promised to save our Christmas from it.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Daily Express:
UK TROOPS TO PATROL FRENCH BEACHES

Daily Mail:
MACRON'S 'NON' TO UK BOOTS ON FRENCH BEACHES

Financial Times:
Britain and France clash over response to Channel tragedy

Honest, FT, you only need go as far as Fleet Street (as was).

Last edited:
Reactions: oldgroaner

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Daily Express:
UK TROOPS TO PATROL FRENCH BEACHES

Daily Mail:
MACRON'S 'NON' TO UK BOOTS ON FRENCH BEACHES

Financial Times:
Britain and France clash over response to Channel tragedy

Honest, FT, you only need go as far a Fleet Street (as was).
if you have enough pipes you could pump millions of liters of oil in to the sea and set it on fire like a force field, i think that was a idea when the Germans wanted to invade in ww2 if it hit the fan lol.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
if you have enough pipes you could pump millions of liters of oil in to the sea and set it on fire like a force field, i think that was a idea when the Germans wanted to invade in ww2 if it hit the fan lol.

Didn't work very well for the Torrey Canyon.

Ends up kicking the ball into your own net so your opponents don't score...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Didn't work very well for the Torrey Canyon.

Ends up kicking the ball into your own net so your opponents don't score...

pipes from the mainland and not ships lol but say go out 5 miles of pipe then extend the length of the channel crossing and could turn it on and of like a gas stove.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
pipes from the mainland and not ships lol but say go out 5 miles of pipe then extend the length of the channel crossing and could turn it on and of like a gas stove.
Those people know the risk better than anyone of us and they will still take it.
The politics of 'pushbacks' is just as popular in the EU as in the UK. It is illegal under international laws. Blaming the traffikers is our government cop-out.
We can adjust a bit the pull factors in our social welfare here but really, the long term solution is to ensure that we don't start nor encourage wars and help eliminate famine in their countries.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Under the house of commons might be more effective

• :D

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020

It‘s no good is it. By the time the slow machinery of the thirty seven thousand million pound T&T system has agonisingly slowly done half a job, these people will each have been in contact with at least 10 more people. And, if only some isolate, they may as well not bother. It has to be everyone or it’s a complete waste of time.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It‘s no good is it. By the time the slow machinery of the thirty seven thousand million pound T&T system has agonisingly slowly done half a job, these people will each have been in contact with at least 10 more people. And, if only some isolate, they may as well not bother. It has to be everyone or it’s a complete waste of time.
Agreed. But at least make it nice and simple for people to do what you want them to!

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
We don't want her either, but we can't just disinvite her.

Channel deaths: Priti Patel disinvited to meeting with France
Boris Johnson’s public letter to Emmanuel Macron on Channel drownings deemed ‘unacceptable’

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner and Nev

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
We don't want her either, but we can't just disinvite her.

Channel deaths: Priti Patel disinvited to meeting with France
Boris Johnson’s public letter to Emmanuel Macron on Channel drownings deemed ‘unacceptable’
it's Boris Johnson's fault.
We want something from the French, the least we must do is to ask politely.
Not only we keep repeating that we are paying the French police £54 million to police the coast while we have still not paid a penny, BJ's letter to Macron is undiplomatic to say the least, and making it public via a tweet has made his clumsiness so much apparent.
Reverse the roles, anyone can see the error of judgement.
Contrast that with Guto Harri's tone last night in BBC QT defending BJ 'is he alright?'. Guto was BJ's communication director when BJ was London mayor.
The fundamentals are clear: refugees are a worldwide problem, caused by wars and famine. Saying that it's a French problem is like saying that Syrian refugees entering Greece via Turkey is a Turkish problem.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
it's Boris Johnson's fault.
We want something from the French, the least we must do is to ask politely.
Not only we keep repeating that we are paying the French police £54 million to police the coast while we have still not paid a penny, BJ's letter to Macron is undiplomatic to say the least, and making it public via a tweet has made his clumsiness so much apparent.
Reverse the roles, anyone can see the error of judgement.
Contrast that with Guto Harri's tone last night in BBC QT defending BJ 'is he alright?'. Guto was BJ's communication director when BJ was London mayor.
The fundamentals are clear: refugees are a worldwide problem, caused by wars and famine. Saying that it's a French problem is like saying that Syrian refugees entering Greece via Turkey is a Turkish problem.
Everything is Johnson's fault. He never understood "the buck stops here". Never will. Yet he is the one who has the formal power to conduct the orchestra.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Our - lengthy, repetitive - dispute about natural immunity vs vaccination may just have been reduced to a malpigian tubule.
Or not. Neither the Alpha nor Delta variants reduced the natural immunity from the initial infections, so your pessimism may not.

Given our national incompetence I'm sure we'll soon be able to practice on the Botswana variant though.

Advertisers