Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Fine thanks, Hessle is about four miles away to the west, and from the news I see it is in Thompson's Plastics Factory that used to supply the company with vacuum formed Bath shells and panels, my memory on visits to the factory is that they have large stock of Acrylic and Styrene sheeting, plus obviously resin ,catalyst, solvents and fibreglass in many forms stored on site it's likely that flaming fragments with be thrown up to be carried downwind.
No wonder people are being evacuated locally.
Let us hope no one is injured or killed.
I knew many who worked there, hopefully they are retired and safe.
Does that imply a shortage of (UK-made) plastic baths?

I am frequently concerned by the apparent lack of effective on-site fire suppression - sprinklers, etc. - even in such potentially nastily flammable industries.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
It possibly already has done but if it was just one or two people then it might not get known about. I think in the med something like 19k people have drowned in little boats over the last few years.
There was someone talking on the radio this morning about this. They said it was virtually certain that this case was not the first one to have happened. We only found out about it because a fisherman spotted bodies floating in the water. Apparently the current in the channel flows up into the North Sea so any bodies are not washed up on to either the English or French coasts.

I really don't know what the answer to this problem is though, one thing is certain it is not the simple sound bite of "We now have control of our borders."

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
let's stay factual and leave the merits of wikipedia out of this. Did Dr Yeadon claim that Covid was "effectively over" in October 2020? Did he claim that vaccines were unnecessary? Did he claim that mRNA vaccines contain syncytin-1?
I listened to a number of interviews with Dr Yeadon many months ago, so this is only going off memory:

"Did Dr Yeadon claim that Covid was "effectively over" in October 2020" - I've no idea. But I don't recall him saying that in the talks I heard.

" Did he claim that vaccines were unnecessary?" - He seemed to be very pro vaccine! (not surprising coming from someone who's worked most of his life developing treatments and vaccines!!). What he did stress though was that any medical treatments should be tested and proven to be safe and effective.

" Did he claim that mRNA vaccines contain syncytin-1" - before you posted that, I confess I've never even heard of 'synctin-1' !

But you have me intrigued now - where did you come across him talking about those three things? give me a link and I'll check it out - if it turns out he's lost his mind or something, I will add him to my list of people who are giving out dubious information.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Check the numbers and do a bit of math yourself.

On week 1 (Jan) for example, the total Age Specific Rate per 100,000 of the unvaccinated group is 203.9, the total for the double dose is 8.8.
Apologies here - its probably me being a bit dim.
Where do I need to look to to see 203.9?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
=SUM(H5:H8)

H is the last column.
I can understand why the authors chooses the age group 10-59 to make the comparison because this group can cope without vaccines.

08-Jan-21
1​
Unvaccinated10-59
359​
26,822,400​
98.1​
1.3​
08-Jan-21
1​
Unvaccinated60-69
517​
5,138,033​
98.1​
10.1​
08-Jan-21
1​
Unvaccinated70-79
1,132​
4,153,114​
97.3​
27.3​
08-Jan-21
1​
Unvaccinated80+
2,787​
1,686,889​
67​
165.2​

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
continued.

The errors are in the later weeks, take the last week (No 38), the ASR (column H) for double dose 10-59 is only 0.2
Not 2.2 as per his plot.

24-Sep-21
38​
Second dose10-59
29​
17,924,346​
66.4​
0.2​
0.1​
0.2​

• Informative

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Finally making some progress on the outstanding vaccines.

Just received the 'flu vaccine on the spot at a pharmacy not listed on th NHS site as doing it. Crazy situation, as reported before, many of those listed are either not doing them of have extended waiting lists for appointments.

And the booster centre that sent me (and many others) home without one on Monday due to the mess they were in with immense queues seem to have sorted it out. I've now been able to book a new appointment for Tuesday afternoon, hopefully they won't send me home again.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016

Just received the 'flu vaccine on the spot at a pharmacy not listed on th NHS site as doing it. Crazy situation, as reported before, many of those listed are either not doing them of have extended waiting lists for appointments.

And the booster centre that sent me (and many others) home without one on Monday due to the mess they were in with immense queues seem to have sorted it out. I've now been able to book a new appointment for Tuesday afternoon, hopefully they won't send me home again.
I used to get sent home a lot from school flecc. Be a good boy and I, m sure everything will be fine.

• :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I used to get sent home a lot from school flecc. Be a good boy and I, m sure everything will be fine.
My school only ever sent me home once, but it was final. Fussy gits, what's wrong with smoking in the corridors when walking between lessons?

Still, it enabled me to start working full time just as I reached 14 so I was able to do my 38 year ration of work and retire in my early 50s, so a winner in the end.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020

At a vaccination centre near me, if you turn up without an appointment you go straight to the front of the queue. Those with an appointment are the lowest priority and their appointment time is at the mercy of the number of people rolling up unannounced. Initially, this baffled me, but then I remember it was the NHS.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

I am delighted you got sorted.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
At a vaccination centre near me, if you turn up without an appointment you go straight to the front of the queue. Those with an appointment are the lowest priority and their appointment time is at the mercy of the number of people rolling up unannounced. Initially, this baffled me, but then I remember it was the NHS.
My one on Monday had lost control of both the appointments and walk-ins. It's sad how things have gone for the 'flu jab and boosters.

Early in the year by general agreement the Covid first and second jabs were handled quite well, but for the booster in my area they've completely dismantled that organisation and replaced it with an unco-ordinated shambles which is actively deterring people from getting the booster.

Likewise the 'flu jab. Last Autumn despite the Covid peaking, a phone call to inquire of my surgery prompted the reply "We're doing them at the moment, can you pop down". I did that and found two tables outside on the forecourt in the fresh air with a practice nurse doing the jabs and another recording them. With all masked and two metre separation it was done immediately and safely as people arrived so no queue developing.

This year all 'flu jabs and most booster locations have been switched to pharmacies through NHS websites with no doctor's surgeries doing them. About half of those listed deny any knowledge of doing any jabs while there are unlisted ones that do 'flu jabs. Others listed have waiting lists for appointments up to a month long and some have closed their list since they are overloaded. The alternatives to the pharmacies are the last sort of places one should go during a pandemic, crowded main shopping centres full of the unmasked and major hospitals.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
The anti-vaxxer lie dissemination industry is a big one... there is much money to be made spreading plausible-looking vaccine lies.
I would have thought that its the anti anti-vaxxer lie dissemination industry that's the bigger one, by many, many orders of magnitude.
There are billions and billions of dollars to be made selling plausible-looking vaccines!

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Is this a record? I got sent home on my very first day at primary school, we had little cloth bags of dried lentils to use instead of real balls for exercise.
The one handed to me had a hole at one corner, out of curiosity I ate quite a few.
Never again! I thought I was about to explode, fortunately projectile vomiting eased the pain , but the teacher happened to be bending over me and copped the lot! That is of course minus the rest that soaked me.
Curiosity was, and still is my weak point!

• :D
Reactions: Zlatan and flecc

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
=SUM(H5:H8)

08-Jan-21
1​
Unvaccinated10-59
359​
26,822,400​
98.1​
1.3​
08-Jan-21
1​
Unvaccinated60-69
517​
5,138,033​
98.1​
10.1​
08-Jan-21
1​
Unvaccinated70-79
1,132​
4,153,114​
97.3​
27.3​
08-Jan-21
1​
Unvaccinated80+
2,787​
1,686,889​
67​
165.2​
Ok, ta. I now understand what you've done, you've added up all the 'Age specific rate per 100,000 people' that resides in column H to get an overall total, not broken down into age groups.
As you previously said:
"On week 1 (Jan) for example, the total Age Specific Rate per 100,000 of the unvaccinated group is 203.9, the total for the double dose is 8.8"

And yes, I can see that the total is 203.9

But I'm still confused. Because it doesn't look as if you've done the same for the 'double dose' group to give 8.8

Because there is no data in column H for that group!

hang on ... I think I can see what you've done - you've gone and used column G instead of H - that comes out to 8.8 !
But that column is "Percentage of total age-group population" !?!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I would have thought that its the anti anti-vaxxer lie dissemination industry that's the bigger one, by many, many orders of magnitude.
There are billions and billions of dollars to be made selling plausible-looking vaccines!
:rolleyes:

Advertisers