Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
When will Sue Gray's report appear?

Looks like Raab is either confusing or being misquoted.

Telegraph says ministers have already been named.

Politics latest news: Sue Gray has right to name senior officials fined over partygate, says Dominic Raab
Dominic Raab has insisted it is up to Sue Gray whether she names senior civil servants who have been fined over the partygate scandal in her widely-anticipated report.

The Justice Secretary said the naming of names "is a question for Sue Gray" as he argued "independent processes" must be allowed to "come to their conclusions in the right way".

He said ministers who have been fined have already been named and added: "Whether it is right in relation to civil servants I think is a question for Sue Gray and the Metropolitan Police.”

But Guardian says:

The UK deputy prime minister, Dominic Raab, has called for ministers who were fined for breaching Covid regulations to be named by the senior civil servant tasked with investigating the Partygate scandal.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
“Rwanda plan is ‘long overdue’ to thwart callous people traffickers, insists Tory stalwart

PRITI Patel's controversial proposals to send asylum seekers seeking to enter to the UK illegally to Rwanda has been welcomed by fellow Essex Tory MP Andrew Rosindell.”

The other thing that is long overdue is for all MPs charged with serious criminal acts to resign immediately. I suppose permanently relocating to Rwanda in order to avoid a trial might be permitted?

Reactions: Woosh and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My MP Sarah Jones took part in a virtual visit to parliament by a local Croydon school and was asked many questions.

Among them was, "What would you like to be when you grow up?" . :D

Reactions: oyster and Woosh

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
How to act when you think you have got away with something and simply can't hide your relief:

Johnson: 'I am very grateful to the Met for their work'
Boris Johnson has been speaking for the first time since the Metropolitan police concluded their investigation into Downing Street parties

I am very grateful to the Met for their work. I am very grateful for the work they have done. I just think that we need to wait for Sue Gray to report and then … fingers crossed … that will be very soon.
Johnson, speaking on a visit to Powys, Wales, before an address to the Welsh Conservative conference, was asked if Downing Street would block Gray, the senior civil servant compiling a report on Partygate. He said it would be a matter that was entirely up to Gray.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Lady Sue Gray?

(Not imputing her - but surely some people have thought of that option?)
She has a lucrative job and large pension to protect. Like the Met, she can use lesser souls as targets.

And realistically, would her report contradict the Met's investigation?

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I've got an idea for a new television program. Not for the UK - but for Russia. Now they seem to be scrapping the upper age limit for military service.

They can call it: Папина армия. (Papina armiya.)

(I'm not charging for that, so it isn't breaking any sanctions. And no, I haven't asked Ian Lavender if he would like to be involved.)

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've got an idea for a new television program. Not for the UK - but for Russia. Now they seem to be scrapping the upper age limit for military service.

They can call it: Папина армия. (Papina armiya.)

(I'm not charging for that, so it isn't breaking any sanctions. And no, I haven't asked Ian Lavender if he would like to be involved.)
They'd need their Centenarians, the ones who ruthlessly taught Germany a harsh lesson in 1944 and '45. They'd soon deal with the Ukrainians!

Reactions: oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Our parliamentarians have short memories. For over forty years they and the British public were harshly critical of the way the EU parliament moved back and forth between Brussels and Strasbourg to satisfy national prides.

But now to make it easier to restore the Houses of Parliament, they are proposing making Parliament mobile, touring the towns of Britain for a spell in each to also make it more relevant to the people. There's been mentions of Stoke on Trent and Darlington for example.

I have a suggestion. The new Jubilee appointed City of Stanley in the Falklands.

• Agree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Our parliamentarians have short memories. For over forty years they and the British public were harshly critical of the way the EU parliament moved back and forth between Brussels and Strasbourg to satisfy national prides.

But now to make it easier to restore the Houses of Parliament, they are proposing making Parliament mobile, touring the towns of Britain for a spell in each to also make it more relevant to the people. There's been mentions of Stoke on Trent and Darlington for example.

I have a suggestion. The new Jubilee appointed City of Stanley in the Falklands.
There have already been criticisms of tokenistic assemblies. A load of people turn up, have a meeting, disappear. How does that involve any locals? To a large extent, all it does is use resources and make for traffic jams.

Last edited:
  • Agree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Brexit benefits continue apace:

Pet travel after Brexit: taking a dog to the EU could cost £300 a time
With pet passports issued in Great Britain no longer valid, owners fork out for health certificates and jabs

• Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Reactions: Woosh and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The African Union is currently in the process of setting up a new African Medicines Agency.

There are many obvious benefits from having co-ordinated medicines management and approval, especially with your neighbours.

Suddenly, a pharmaceutical company might be able to supply a medicine to all African countries (well, the ones in the AU and agreeing to the AMA) with one application. That is far more likely to make medicines available in the smaller, less rich countries.

It reduces a massive amount of duplication which would otherwise occur if the medicines were submitted to medicine approval organisation in each and every country.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have such an agency operating across Europe?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The African Union is currently in the process of setting up a new African Medicines Agency.
For the EU yes, but with the independence of Brexit I doubt the UK could take part now.

• Agree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
For the EU yes, but with the independence of Brexit I doubt the UK could take part now.
At one point, it certainly appeared to be one of the organisations of which we could have remained a member, despite brexit.

Now, if a new medicine comes to market, the UK will be end of the list.

Appears already to have caused an issue. A Swiss company developed a levothyroxine medicine which avoided many of the issue with existing formulations. It is available in many countries including USA, and most of the EU countries. Indeed, if I understand correctly, it is approved by the EMA so adding other EU countries is trivial.

No, of course it's not available in the UK.

• Informative

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
There are many obvious benefits from having co-ordinated medicines management and approval...
It reduces a massive amount of duplication which would otherwise occur if the medicines were submitted to medicine approval organisation in each and every country.
What happens if that one, all powerful agency is corrupted ?

Advertisers