Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
What happens if that one, all powerful agency is corrupted ?
In the case of Africa, it appears that each country will be free to continue with their own systems - the AMA being more co-operative than dominant.

Of course, corruption is always an issue.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What happens if that one, all powerful agency is corrupted ?
We're probaby safer with a medicines agency that any other. After all, the medicines are for all of us, so any corrupter is risking their own life and loved ones too.

Last edited:

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
We're probaby safer with a medicines agency that any other. After all, the medicines are for all of us, so any corrupter is risking their own life and loved ones too.
That is assuming that your statement of 'the medicines are for all of us' is true.
Personally, I doubt this is the case.
I can't see the 'elite' having the same level and type of treatments as the rest of us 'useless eaters'.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That is assuming that your statement of 'the medicines are for all of us' is true.
I can't see the 'elite' having the same level and type of treatments as the rest of us 'useless eaters'.
The medicines are almost entirely the same, there's only one set of Covid medicines for example. I know from my own experiences of both that the only difference between private and NHS hospital treatments is in convenience, care and comfort. The medicines used are usually identical, except in the rare instances where NICE have blocked odd examples of the most expensive drugs.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
One of the most famous American women is Hilary Clinton. She takes a thyroid medicine called Armour Thyroid. Whilst it is relatively expensive, it is available to anyone who can afford it. A few even get it on the NHS.

Her riches do not mean she has access to anything that special. Similar products are available in Canada, Thailand as well as other makes in the USA.

The limitations on access are because doctors are widely unwilling to prescribe it.

But other high profile, rich thyroid patients have stuck with exactly the same products the rest of us can get. (Brands vary by country, of course.)

It is the doctors, and their approaches to treatment, are why things vary so much.

Go back to John F Kennedy. He took Cytomel. A product which was new to the market when he was started on it - but an equivalent product, Tertroxin, was already available in the UK.

Access to Cytomel and Tertroxin has been restricted by doctors more than anything. And greed by some pharmaceutical companies escalating prices. But the products have been the same.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
The medicines are almost entirely the same, there's only one set of Covid medicines for example...
I may have got the wrong end of the stick on what Oyster was trying to say?

I suppose my concerns are more to do with one, overarching institution, dictating policy.
This current push to have the WHO be able to enforce rules, effectively being above governments, seems particularly disturbing.

Here's a brief but interesting article on it:
https://off-guardian.org/2022/05/20/the-who-is-changing-their-international-health-regulations-thats-not-good/

And as for Covid ... lets not forget that when the American Government were trying to enforce mandatory vaccinations for federal workers ... for some reason, Congress was exempt. Its one rule for 'us', and a totally different set of rules for 'them'.
Having multiple institutions/seats of power, as opposed to one, master dictatorial organisation, would seem to offer more chance of being able to avoid the one, corrupt power having total control.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Go back to John F Kennedy...
Talking of which, lets go forward to his Nephew, Robert F Kennedy Jn.
Have you read his most recent book "The Real Anthony Fauci: Bill Gates, Big Pharma, and the Global War on Democracy and Public Health"?
Its utterly fascinating (and only a small part of the book is actually about Fauci - its mostly about what goes on behind the scenes in the world of Pharmaceuticals and drugs etc).
I wager that if anyone does read this book properly (and there are literally thousands of citations/references to back up what he says if you want to research further or confirm his statements), then 99% of people who do will have a totally different viewpoint to what's actually going on in the world re medicine and big pharma.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Real-Anthony-Fauci-Democracy-Childrens/dp/1510766804/ref=sr_1_1?crid=64CQVKQEMTAT&keywords=the+real+anthony+fauci&qid=1653387651&sprefix=the+re,aps,69&sr=8-1

(and it appears to be only £2.99 on kindle!)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I may have got the wrong end of the stick on what Oyster was trying to say?

I suppose my concerns are more to do with one, overarching institution, dictating policy.
This current push to have the WHO be able to enforce rules, effectively being above governments, seems particularly disturbing.

Here's a brief but interesting article on it:
https://off-guardian.org/2022/05/20/the-who-is-changing-their-international-health-regulations-thats-not-good/

And as for Covid ... lets not forget that when the American Government were trying to enforce mandatory vaccinations for federal workers ... for some reason, Congress was exempt. Its one rule for 'us', and a totally different set of rules for 'them'.
Having multiple institutions/seats of power, as opposed to one, master dictatorial organisation, would seem to offer more chance of being able to avoid the one, corrupt power having total control.
We are in agreement in respect of the position the USA holds in the world, and they are behind so much you complain of.

I've long held the view that Europe, including Britain, needs to distance itself from America, to isolate and weaken it for the good of both ourselves and the whole world.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I've long held the view that Europe, including Britain, needs to distance itself from America, to isolate and weaken it for the good of both ourselves and the whole world.
I think the problem is made much worse whenever Americans voted in a republican potus. Clinton and Obama were OK.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think the problem is made much worse whenever Americans voted in a republican potus. Clinton and Obama were OK.
But Jimmy Carter made a bit of a mess too, albeit well intentioned.

The USA's overall policies are the trouble, they just insist they lead the world but they are not fit to. Republican or Democrat, they've caused nothing but trouble and vast numbers of unnecessary deaths ever since the WW2 outcome went to their heads.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The USA's overall policies are the trouble, they just insist they lead the world but they are not fit to.
they may not be fit to but still fitter than the rest, Russia, China, France and UK. The role should perhaps be given to the EU which has a more consentual program and ideas.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
they may not be fit to but still fitter than the rest, Russia, China, France and UK. The role should perhaps be given to the EU which has a more consentual program and ideas.
I've agreed on the EU fitness, but of course to truly lead, the European project really needs to reach the fruition of Europe being one federal nation and not just a club of many nations.

But your first sentence devalues those you call "the rest". Their existence, particularly that of China, is a valuable balance which increasingly restrains the USA's excesses.

Russia too, with its many friends you don't like to admit too, also restrains them. For example, Turkey's President Erdogan now saying he'll veto Finand's and Sweden's admission to NATO. I hope he does, it's precisely America's unnecessary efforts to expand NATO after the cold war ended that has led us to all the strife in Northern Europe since the millennium.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Sue Gray paper - timestamps:
Created: 25/05/2022, 10:17:30
Modified: 25/05/2022, 11:06:24

It could just be how they managed it, but that allows a possibility that it was changed between being relased to Johnson and later published.

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Reactions: flecc and oyster

Advertisers