Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I don't know how this is going to play in Court. On one side, the plaintiff argued that he uses his 'pedestal' of being the world's richest man to boost support for the crypto, on the other side, he is not a director of one or many trading firms in cryptos.
Doesn't need to own one of them to make highly profitable manipulations.

I think I remember Tesla sometimes accepting, sometimes not, Bitcoin.

And things like this:
Elon Musk's company had invested $1.5 billion in Bitcoin on February 8, 2021. This investment lost a lot of value as cryptocurrency prices plummeted. Bitcoin has fallen and is currently trading at its lowest level since December 2020.

• Informative
  • :D
Reactions: POLLY and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think I remember Tesla sometimes accepting, sometimes not, Bitcoin.
Musk announced last month that his two major companies Tesla and SpaceX would accept dogecoin for payment of merchandise although he did not say if there is any limit.

Reactions: POLLY and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
So then, the UK has been asked to host next year's Eurovision Song Contest.

I suggest that wherever it is physically held gets temporarily designated a part of the embassy of Ukraine. Thus would be regarded as Ukraine territory. Even if just for the hours of actual competition.

Then ask all other EBU members to help stump up the money to pay for it.

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
could/would UK rejoin the customs union and SM if Labour won at the next GE?
that subject was discussed today on BBC2 Daily Politics. Wales, Scotland and NI would be for it. Some conservative MPs are also for it.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Synchronicity.
Johnson offers to train 120,000 Ukraine troops every 120 days.
Paratroopers in Colchester banned from NATO deployments due to orgy.

It is depressing to read of that troop training. Why do you need that rate of training? Surely due to losses that could approach that level. They might not all be lost, of course.

• Informative
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
We (not the CEOs) are told:

Big wage increases are too risky, Treasury chief warns bosses

While CEOs (etc.) get:

Sainsbury's has revealed that its chief executive, Simon Roberts, received pay worth £3.8m in the latest financial year

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Johnson offers to train 120,000 Ukraine troops every 120 days.
I think he said 1,000 a month.
He can could on Zelenskiy to boost his ego.
Sad or what?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just had a look - and in successive hits it was 2,500 a month, 1,000 a month, 10,000 every 120 days, 120,000 every 120 days, ...
I still remember an example of Boris's numeracy some years ago. Speaking to the press corps, he spoke on these lines:

"Since whenever it was we started it, we've boosted it from er, er, whatever it was, to er, er, er", looking around for inspiration, then triumphantly ending with, "to whatever it is now".

Jeremy Paxman sitting in the front row doubled up in laughter.

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I still remember an example of Boris's numeracy some years ago. Speaking to the press corps, he spoke on these lines:

"Since whenever it was we started it, we've boosted it from er, er, whatever it was, to er, er, er", looking around for inspiration, then triumphantly ending with, "to whatever it is now".

Jeremy Paxman sitting in the front row doubled up in laughter.
I understand laughing, but it was so much more serious than that.

• Agree
Reactions: tillson and flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
The smirkin' merkin.
Well yes, but we (nationally not personally) voted for him. Gather (as Google bravely describe) the merkin was invented by victorian prostitutes to control pubic lice. Wonder which of the bit parts in this one act play called brexit (other than the merkin) the electorate play?

Reactions: Woosh and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I saw a headline that started "Boris Johnson admitted..."
Shame it was only to hospital rather than a full confession.

Especially now Downing Street have admitted getting a story about Carrie (Johnson was trying to get her a job when he was Foreign Secretary) dropped from the Times.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The only explanation I have is that they are determined to ensure strikes and industrial unrest - in order to recover in the polls.
inews front page for 21/06/2022

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The only explanation I have is that they are determined to ensure strikes and industrial unrest - in order to recover in the polls.
inews front page for 21/06/2022

View attachment 47714
I don't think it's electioneering. I believe it's desperation.

Brexit is proving increasingly disastrous, so they are prepared to take bigger risks to try to turn round the economy. It won't work, foreign businesses are never going to fall for such a simple ploy.

It will need something far more drastic to convince them to come here, such as an ultra low tax regime or freeport status, but neither are possible in our present economic state and relationship with the EU.

Reactions: oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think it's vapourware or diversion tactics. City folks don't really have any limit, they never have. They have many ways to fill their pockets: share options, pension plans, credit cards for expenses, holiday homes, invoices to shelf companies etc
They know they can't stop the strikes, they can't fix myriad of other things: the economy, the health service, transport, pension, education. If I were BJ, I would chuck it in now.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Are you for or against the RMT union by the way?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Are you for or against the RMT union by the way?
Depends which hat I'm wearing.

The Treasury are right, big pay rises would be very damaging to the enonomy right now, so as government, out of the question.

But the RMT are right that a big pay rise is necessary just to hold on to present living standards. And not just for the RMT, for everyone receiving pay, pensions or benefits.

The former will prevail though, we are on course for an unavoidable universal decline in living standards.

Covid isn't the only thing we'll have to learn to live with.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

Advertisers