Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'd rather she didn't, since I'm sure she would be a disastrous PM, so better not elected.
should Sunak wins, we would still be hit by recession, high interest rate, high tax until end of 2024 according to the BoE forecast.
We could head for a hung parliament.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
should Sunak wins, we would still be hit by recession, high interest rate, high tax until end of 2024 according to the BoE forecast.
We could head for a hung parliament.
Of course, as I've posted, we are in for rough time whoever takes over, both this parliament and a few more to follow, but I see Sunak as very much better than Truss in terms of handling this situation.

I honestly dont think she has a clue economically, only an instinct for implementing what voters might like, regardless of how much damage that does.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
instinct for implementing saying she will implement
She may (putting aside her blank incomprehension) be a genuine hard core far right small state tory ideologue, and mean what she say
It brings to mind the Marshall plan (or rather a parralel world in which this wasn't implemented), a small state isn't what one need in a large crisis.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Of course, as I've posted, we are in for rough time whoever takes over, both this parliament and a few more to follow, but I see Sunak as very much better than Truss in terms of handling this situation.

I honestly dont think she has a clue economically, only an instinct for implementing what voters might like, regardless of how much damage that does.
With hindsight, brexit seem a pleasant diversion
https://www.reddit.com/r/MemeTemplatesOfficial/comments/ctcfhw

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Truss is totally delusional:

Britain's best days are ahead of us

I'll not be so negative as to say it is untrue. But I can't see it in any period of time relatable to a premiership - even if you go back to Walpole. I've seen too many things recently which are already accepted as needing until around 2050 to fix. If she made it to then, she'd be 75. And I still doubt we'd have made them the best days. (Perhas most especially because if she were PM for that long, it becomes less and less likely!)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I've seen too many things recently which are already accepted as needing until around 2050 to fix. If she made it to then, she'd be 75. And I still doubt we'd have made them the best days. (Perhas most especially because if she were PM for that long, it becomes less and less likely!)
I can understand her ambition but she and the brexiteers are not realistic. Even before any rosy future can be gleaned at, the task to get Britain out of the present difficulties are immense.
I watched Greg Wallis (inside the factory - XL, BBC2 yesterday) getting excited about the new red London busses, all electric, being made in Scarborough. He's Johnson-esque in his exuberance.
So he took us first to see the delivery of parts. A huge lorry carrying two chassis arrived in the parking lot. A driver jumped into the driver seat and drove the the thing directly inside the factory. Where did the chassis (more like a complete bus without top) come from? China.
It's just like the train factory in Derby really. Invented here all those years ago and somehow perfected elsewhere before sold back here.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I can understand her ambition but she and the brexiteers are not realistic. Even before any rosy future can be gleaned at, the task to get Britain out of the present difficulties are immense.
I watched Greg Wallis (inside the factory - XL, BBC2 yesterday) getting excited about the new red London busses, all electric, being made in Scarborough. He's Johnson-esque in his exuberance.
So he took us first to see the delivery of parts. A huge lorry carrying two chassis arrived in the parking lot. A driver jumped into the driver seat and drove the the thing directly inside the factory. Where did the chassis (more like a complete bus without top) come from? China.
It's just like the train factory in Derby really. Invented here all those years ago and somehow perfected elsewhere before sold back here.
Did you ever see the old London Transport maintenance depot film from many years ago?

All set up to allow Routemasters to be extensively taken apart and re-assembled, with replacement parts and repairs, overnight or 5 days. Ready to roll the next day/week.

I suspect that depot could have been doing more work per bus than the CKD factories you describe.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
Greg Wallace, excited, surely not.
Unfortunately his presenting style, that of an over caffeinated teenager after his sixth can of Red Bull, prevents me from watching what would likely be some interesting programmes. He isn't the only one of course, TV presenting seems to be polluted by arm wavers, head wobblers and folk with funny voices. Bring back Raymond Baxter.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Greg Wallace, excited, surely not.
Unfortunately his presenting style, that of an over caffeinated teenager after his sixth can of Red Bull, prevents me from watching what would likely be some interesting programmes. He isn't the only one of course, TV presenting seems to be polluted by arm wavers, head wobblers and folk with funny voices. Bring back Raymond Baxter.
And too much radio is also infested. Far, far too much laughter that doesn't sound real. Talking over each other. Erratic volume. Etc.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
  • :D
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I see Trump is complaining about the large group of FBI agents who raided Mar-a-lago.

Just think how upset he'd have been if it had only been a small group. :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I watched Greg Wallis (inside the factory - XL, BBC2 yesterday) getting excited about the new red London busses, all electric, being made in Scarborough. Where did the chassis (more like a complete bus without top) come from? China.
Things are better with our London Hydrogen fuel cell buses though, wholly built and designed in Northern Ireland by Wrightbus:

The technology was developed by Northern Ireland-based Wrightbus to launch its world-first zero-emission StreetDeck Hydroliner double deck and GB Kite Hydroliner single deck buses.

Since first entering passenger service in 2020, StreetDeck Hydroliners have clocked up a million miles, preventing 1,700 tonnes of CO2 from entering the atmosphere on those bus journeys. No harmful emissions are emitted from the vehicles, with water vapour being the only emission.

They've now sold two single deckers to Australia for trials pending possible larger purchases. China wont like this on their doorstep, they seem to be behind us and Germany on hydrogen fuel cell technology buses, though far ahead on lithium battery buses.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Woosh and oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The public ignorance about electric cars continues to astonish.

Went into the local BP filling station and stated the car wash price I wanted to get the token. Assistant asked "Any fuel?", so I said "No, electric car".

Response was "Oh you can't go though the car wash with an electric car"!

So I reassured them that I could and that I even dare to drive when it's raining!

Still not reassured, assistant calls to manager, "Can an electric car go through the car wash?"

This is London where we have hundreds of fully electric buses, some 2000 hybrid electric buses and by far the highest proportion of e-cars of anywhere in the country. And the funny thing is that this BP station has already been surveyed by Chargemaster (who BP own) for the installation of an ultra-rapid charge point, next to the car wash!

• Informative
Reactions: oyster and Woosh

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

Went into the local BP filling station and stated the car wash price I wanted to get the token. Assistant asked "Any fuel?", so I said "No, electric car".

So I reassured them that I could and that I even dare to drive when it's raining!

Still not reassured, assistant calls to manager, "Can an electric car go through the car wash?"

This is London where we have hundreds of fully electric buses, some 2000 hybrid electric buses and by far the highest proportion of e-cars of anywhere in the country. And the funny thing is that this BP station has already been surveyed by Chargemaster (who BP own) for the installation of an ultra-rapid charge point, next to the car wash!
Who will be the first to charge a car while actually in the car wash?

That could be fun. :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They can't do that! =8-0 Who's going to use the car wash with that thing close by??
Not that bad, the Car Wash is a totally enclosed tunnel one. Drive in and the roller shutter doors at each end close. All the wash stages are then sealed in, the roller shutters only opening once the car is washed and all water driven off it by compressed air.

I have a fairly low opinion of automatic car washes in general, but this one is actually rather good. The only problem with it is suffering a higher than usual breakdown rate, it seems to be out of action a few days every month.

The charge point will be alongside its clear glass viewing sidewall, the fencing off already up ready for its installation.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

I'll not be so negative as to say it is untrue. But I can't see it in any period of time relatable to a premiership - even if you go back to Walpole. I've seen too many things recently which are already accepted as needing until around 2050 to fix. If she made it to then, she'd be 75. And I still doubt we'd have made them the best days. (Perhas most especially because if she were PM for that long, it becomes less and less likely!)
I‘m so sick of these meaningless statements. They are not specific, measurable, achievable, realistic or have any timeframe attached. Journalists are to blame. What the hell does the $h!t, “Britain’s best days are ahead of us” actually mean? She should never be allowed to get any further message across in any future interview until she’s explained it away, hitting the five markers I listed at the start.

I have completely lost all interest. The woman is an imbecile and the man doesn’t give me any hope either.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

Sadly, that’s not ignorance. It an indicator of the general stupidity of the British public. Your, I dare drive it in the rain quip, although funny, illustrates the widespread lack of ability to think and draw sensible conclusions based on what’s happening in front of them.

This person’s thought process was, ugh ‘lectric ………ugh water…….no-mix……..brain hurts…….call manager. This problem is widespread and I encounter it frequently. We have been breading these mongs since about 1987, so be cautious of anyone up to and including mid 30s.

• Agree

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018

And starmer isn't much better. Why is he missing in action? Is he a neocon liz in drag colluding with ripping off the public, or just slow? We're down to relying on a reinvented Gordon brown to get us out of the mess

Advertisers