Brexit speed question.

Would you like your motor to go faster than 15.5 mph, before cut off, to 20 mph?

• Total voters

mw1

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2014
Hull, E.Yorks
How is it possible?
Take a look at how firearms laws have changed over recent years, then take a look at why. To use just one example.
Why you are being like this is beyond me frankly. You brought up several points in your previous post that had no bearing on anything I had actually said, and now you seem intent on carrying on an argument that only You are having....... ?

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
It's possible in the same way we got a national speed limit.
One person went very fast and the news papers picked it up.
'Public outrage' some thing had to be done.
Politicians react and the new speed limit came into place.

So someone gets up to something stupid on illegal ebike.
Papers start up electric motor bike....' For that's what they are'
Politicians take action to appease the public.
It's 2016 and you've only to look on the internet to find all manner of shenanigans regarding most things with 2 wheels. It's hardly news-worthy.

An example from 1965 is stretching it a bit. Even for corrupt politicians. :)

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Take a look at how firearms laws have changed over recent years, then take a look at why. To use just one example.
Why you are being like this is beyond me frankly. You brought up several points in your previous post that had no bearing on anything I had actually said, and now you seem intent on carrying on an argument that only You are having....... ?
Obviously it had bearing to me. I can't help it if you didn't understand the connection can I? If it's beyond you.. what can I do to help? Although, you understood it enough to hit the dislike button. So, maybe you did understand it.

Why am I carrying on the argument? Well, maybe it's because I started the post and now I'm listening to your side of things. Maybe you can convince me on your scaremongering opinion. :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

mw1

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2014
Hull, E.Yorks
Obviously it had bearing to me. I can't help it if you didn't understand the connection can I? If it's beyond you.. what can I do to help? Although, you understood it enough to hit the dislike button. So, maybe you did understand it.

Why am I carrying on the argument? Well, maybe it's because I started the post and now I'm listening to your side of things. Maybe you can convince me on your scaremongering opinion.
1) Of course I'm going to dislike a post in which someone rants on about things I didn't even say.
2) Isn't hearing other people's points of view the whole point of this forum?
3) To what ' scaremongering ' do you refer?
and 4) Enjoy your beer...

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
1) I'm not ranting. If I was, and I never do, I'd use this icon. :mad:

2) Yes. That's as obvious as someone being entitled to their opinion.

3) Your scaremongering is surmising that someone speeding on an ebike will impact on all ebikes and riders.

4) I only drink at family functions.

5) Do you actually have a point to make amidst this drivel list that you came up with?

Anyway, let's keep things in context and in line with this thread. We're talking about an increase of 4.5 miles an hour here. From 15.5 mph to 20 mph. Not burning up on re-entry, the motorways or the Dunblane massacre.

The voting has revealed what the majority want here and, no amount of vocal exchange, will change that fact. The people have voted for change. :)

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Of course. It's for all to vote on and the majority wish to go a little bit faster.

Back to your point then..

And quite possibly to the detriment of all ebike users....
Mark
How is someone, that ends up in court on a speed hacked ebike, going to impact on 'all' ebike users detrimentally? One speed freak doesn't put everyone in court. It doesn't happen in China or the NL does it? There's loads of ebikes there, and surely there must be a few quicks ones there too.

It's just not going to happen. :)

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Gawd... are we back to the scaremongering that any speed, even slightly, over the 15.5mph will end up with a worldwide ban of Ebikes everywhere.
We had this crap infesting the forum not so long back.

Carry on..... i'll just grab my popcorn.

mw1

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2014
Hull, E.Yorks
It's just not going to happen.
Ok, we can all sleep easy tonight...

Not going to even attempt to respond to anything else, when you seem intent on putting words into my mouth.
That post you quote was an add on to a post made by Flecc, and up until now my comments / opinions have been in context with this, sorry your, thread.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
It's not 'my thread'. I just said that I started it. Speed, it's a good point for debate. Sleep tight and we can do it all again tomorrow. :)

simonbike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 1, 2016
london
people in the uk cant go over 15.5mph on an ebike..WHY?????are we so dumb,maybe you think we are, or you are. i can go over 15.5mph and not die or kill anyone.....so stupid...remove the limit..just make it 28mph job done, the girls that want to stay at 15.5mph can, everyone's happy lol....never

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Ebike life.
Trouble is these boys have more bike handling skills than most on here.Reminds me of the guys who buy a large motorbike and kill themselves,when they couldn't even finish 14th in a 125cc race.Well if you can't beat them join them,**** the MSVA
Let's ride.

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing and IR772

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
people in the uk cant go over 15.5mph on an ebike..WHY?????
You can't understand because you've got the wrong idea of what a pedelec is Simon. It's not a motor vehicle. The pedelec law isn't anything to do with what you as one individual can safely do.

A pedelec is a bicycle which legally has some limited power assistance for those who need it to be able to cycle. Because that limited power and speed is commensurate with what the majority of people can cycle at, they have no motor-vehicle style bureaucratic restrictions.

Pedelec law is not a means of powering bicycles to speeds well above what most cycle at. If you can pedal a bicycle around under your own steam at the 28 mph you mention, you are very fit so you do not need power assistance. Therefore the pedelec law doesn't provide for that.

The law does provide classes that allow higher speeds and/or higher powers, but for public safety they are accompanied by some restrictions. Whether you agree with those restrictions is another matter, but that's nothing to do with pedelecs, their law or their purpose.

simonbike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 1, 2016
london
You can't understand because you've got the wrong idea of what a pedelec is Simon. It's not a motor vehicle. The pedelec law isn't anything to do with what you as one individual can safely do.

A pedelec is a bicycle which legally has some limited power assistance for those who need it to be able to cycle. Because that limited power and speed is commensurate with what the majority of people can cycle at, they have no motor-vehicle style bureaucratic restrictions.

Pedelec law is not a means of powering bicycles to speeds well above what most cycle at. If you can pedal a bicycle around under your own steam at the 28 mph you mention, you are very fit so you do not need power assistance. Therefore the pedelec law doesn't provide for that.

The law does provide classes that allow higher speeds and/or higher powers, but for public safety they are accompanied by some restrictions. Whether you agree with those restrictions is another matter, but that's nothing to do with pedelecs, their law or their purpose.
i understand that it makes no sense, the law needs to change, a diesel car will cause you more damage in the lung than a e bike going 28mph..the law is stupid and needs to change, even if we have to register the bike and use a number plate and pay a little fee each year..for gods sake its 28mph in the usa....whats the point of spending out £2-£4k on a bike when you have it limited and have to buy aftermarket product to unlock it....

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
i understand that it makes no sense, the law needs to change, a diesel car will cause you more damage in the lung than a e bike going 28mph..the law is stupid and needs to change, even if we have to register the bike and use a number plate and pay a little fee each year..for gods sake its 28mph in the usa....whats the point of spending out £2-£4k on a bike when you have it limited and have to buy aftermarket product to unlock it....
It's not 28 mph in the USA Simon, Federal law there for e-bikes is 20 mph maximum assist speed.

But you still haven't got it, what you are saying is nothing to do with pedelecs as I explained. There is a 28 mph bicycle class as you've described which also permits up 500 watts rating, and it has minor restrictions, registration with a rear number plate and insurance. It's called the S class, the EU permits it and it exists in Germany, The Netherlands and soon in France.

Unfortunately so far here the DfT have refuse to permit it, so your argument should be directed that way, lobbying them to get permission here for the S class, not trying to get pedelecs unnecessary restrictions.

The DfT do show signs that they may at some time allow the S class, but unfortunately have put in place a category AM driving licence for it. Anyone who has a group P moped licence or motorcycle licence won't need that of course, nor will anyone who passed their car driving test before 1st February 2001.

So there's the facts, the 28 mph S class e-bikes may eventually be permitted with a suitable driving licence, but there will never be an increase of pedelec speed to that so it's a waste of effort trying to argue for it.

Last edited:

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
it's a waste of effort trying to argue for it.
You conveniently left out the argument regarding the pursuit of aliens bikers, beamed in from another planet. With 'Jihad' in mind, no doubt!

How would you catch those without a fast enough ebike??! :D

Last edited: