Brightest possible front light

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Hi, Now the evenings are drawing in quickly I'm trying to find the brightest possible light I can so that I can still ride in the evenings - There are no street lights for part of my journey and hence it is pitch black ! I probably don't need too long a battery life as my riding in the dark will be short, but I certainly need to be able to see where I'm going !!

I am wondering if I would be better off having a light for my helmet - this would save me remembring to take the light off the bike should I leave it unattended - I've never used a helmet light before.

Thanks for any suggestions, I guess they will be expensive !

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
D

Deleted member 4366

These are really good lights. You can ride on unlit tracks through the woods with no problem. Batteries last several hours and you can run in economy mode for even longer life.
CREE XML XM-L T6 LED Bicycle bike Light HeadLamp HeadLight | eBay
You won't need any more light than what these give, but if you want one that's brighter than the cars, this is the daddy:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XML-XM-L-5x-T6-LED-4500-Lumens-TR-J12-Flashlight-Torch-/120912351281?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item1c26f01031
To mount it, you need one of those T-shaped handlebar extensions for mounting accessories and two velcro clamps. You have one clamp on your handlebars and one on the extension, then you can support it properly. Make sure you point it down because this one can light the moon.

Don't waste your money buying lights from a bike shop. They're over-priced and under-perform compared with the first one I mentioned. Whatever you get, make sure it has Cree T6 LED's in it.

Last edited by a moderator:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Very similar to whats been suggested last year I used one of these linked below. Some of my family and friends now have them. The are great value, have three beam settings low how and flash. I use it mainly on low but sometimes switch it to high on the darker part of my ride. The mount is also very effective. I tried one of the mounts in that other listing and IMHO for the torch I use it is not as good as the one in my listing

2X torch Cree Q5 240LM LED Bike Light Bicycle Lamp Flashlight | eBay

I just use one with a 18650 battery (you can also use three AAAs but don't last that long on full beam).

Again as listed above this similar safe fast charger that charges each bay independently at 1 amp. Many don't charge more than 350ma. That one linked previously with two cells looks good value if its the same.

18650 Lithium Ion Dual Battery Cell Rapid UK Charger | eBay

As I said I just use one but cycle in the city. I would think two would really light the path up.

Not helmet mounted though.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Last edited:

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
I have a MJ-872 for the front and a MJ-818 for the rear.

The batteries that they normally come with are junk (no name 18650's with no cell balancing) so I've built an 8.4v 8ah pack consisting of 4 Turnigy 2s 2000mah nannotechs. Lighter and cheaper than a Magicshine pack and I have some control over chariging/balancing and I can charge the pack in 40 mins.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I know your not supposed to, but this is what I do. I have this one for normal use pointing down slightly:
I have to go about 8 miles along an unlit main road and the light is easily enough to see everything, but some car drivers don't dip for me and so I can't see anything, so I have this one pointing slightly to the left and horizontal;
SkyRay 3x CREE XML XM-L T6 LED Flashlight Torch 3800 LM +2x 18650 Battery | eBay
The Skyray certainly lives up to its name. It's brighter than most car headlights and when I switch it on, they always dip straight away.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I know your not supposed to, but this is what I do. I have this one for normal use pointing down slightly:
I have to go about 8 miles along an unlit main road and the light is easily enough to see everything, but some car drivers don't dip for me and so I can't see anything, so I have this one pointing slightly to the left and horizontal;
SkyRay 3x CREE XML XM-L T6 LED Flashlight Torch 3800 LM +2x 18650 Battery | eBay
The Skyray certainly lives up to its name. It's brighter than most car headlights and when I switch it on, they always dip straight away.
I have one of the Cree XM-L T6 lights off eBay, which I bought last year on your recommendation.

It's a very good light and is very bright. I have had no problems at all and I'm very pleased with it.

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Hi - thanks to everyone for your posts and information. I've decided to go for the Cree XML T6 1800Lm LED light - if it's too bright I can always use a lesser setting, fortunately where I shall be using it there won't be many cars around - as if there were I'd be able to see a little better with the benefit of their headlights - it's more the unlit pedestrians that I'm concerned with, especially those wondering up from the pub ! - we have no pavements on my route - and, of course, the dreaded potholes !

I'll let you know how I get on once it arrives - but I am grateful for the advice you've given me - as always. Thanks.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Very similar to whats been suggested last year I used one of these linked below. Some of my family and friends now have them. The are great value, have three beam settings low how and flash. I use it mainly on low but sometimes switch it to high on the darker part of my ride. The mount is also very effective. I tried one of the mounts in that other listing and IMHO for the torch I use it is not as good as the one in my listing

2X torch Cree Q5 240LM LED Bike Light Bicycle Lamp Flashlight | eBay
I just use one with a 18650 battery (you can also use three AAAs but don't last that long on full beam).
Really dishonest illustration pics at the bottom - taken in daylight.
Again as listed above this similar safe fast charger that charges each bay independently at 1 amp. Many don't charge more than 350ma. That one linked previously with two cells looks good value if its the same.

18650 Lithium Ion Dual Battery Cell Rapid UK Charger | eBay
Ah, Torchy; now he's an honest seller of chargers and 18650s that won't burn your house down. Him and "big_f_d_d".

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Thanks for any suggestions, I guess they will be expensive !
They don't have to be; have a look at Torchy's site and be prepared to gasp at the outrageous prices being asked (and paid) for some very mediocre lights. Also, how cheaply you can get some very good lighting indeed, and that's not including the recommendations already given on this page, some of which are good.
Personally, I have a brace of Lidl LED lights from last year of likely a couple of hundred lumens each, supplemented with a single Cree 150lumen backup (and daylight flasher)
I find this setup more than adequate on the roads I use it on, but a lot depends on relative illumination - a pitch black road needs not a lot of lighting, but an urban street needs more, to make sure you see well and are seen well. To do with your ageing eyes, too; it's not all physics (well it is, but the human aspect comes into it).
Anyway, heeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrsssss Torchy...
Torchy the Battery Boy: Bike light Database
Worthwhile checking out the rest of his site for useful info on batteries and chargers.

D

Deleted member 4366

For those that get that T6 Cree light, don't put it in flash mode, you'll get arrested.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
20 mile ride home tonight using two of the dealextreme lights, no problems with on-coming cars and fantastic on pitch black country lanes. As Dave said up thread get a T6 light and you cant go wrong...

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Hi (apologies if the following is already appearing somewhere - I posted yesterday but don't see it here today - maybe because I wasn't logged in at the time ?).

Thanks for everyone's suggestions which have been very helpful. I've decided to go for a CREE T6 1800Lm light - and I'll let you know how I get on with it. I shall make sure I don't dazzle any drivers, but I actually don't come across many cars on my route, and if I did then it would be helpful as their headlights would help light the area for me - my main concern is with pedestrians in dark clothes, with no torch/reflectors on them - especially those coming back from the pub !! we have no pavements so I tend to ride down the middle of the road in expectation of them. Thanks again for taking the time to help.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Slight variation on the above based on what's currently on e-bay etc. but installed one of these :

CREE XM-L T6 LED 1000 Lumen Bike Light & Headlamp Kit | C&B SEEN Ltd

Battery just straps to my handlebars and the light is about as central as you could get. Comes with headband kit for off-roading and an O-ring for handlebars as standard but ..

fitted a compatible quick-release mount from another supplier, which is ace and rock solid without any slip at all owing to a thick rubber insert which you can cut down as needed to ensure a really tight fit with a pair of scissors. The quick-release means I can unclip from the battery and whip the thing off in no time and to be honest usually leave the battery in its velcro-casing on the bike as it's so inconspicuous :

Handlebar mount for Magicshine MJ808 / MJ808e / MJ836 / MJ816 / MJ872 | eBay

To make it considerably more road/lane friendly, replaced the lens with this (just unscrew and replace, using a spare green sealer ring supplied with the light pack) to take up the space :

Wide Angle Lens for Magicshine, Lupine and Gemini Bike Lights | eBay

The lens creates a square profile output of light in front of the bike which is much more contained than you get with the clear lens supplied. Cycled past a few cop cars with it on and no problems to report, thankfully ! Just don't use it in flashing / on high power with oncoming traffic in range as it says above.

The light has been charged once and I've used it for well over a week without having to recharge, easily up to 6+ hours of usage in the dark. Comes with a UK plug as standard too and the output on dipped beam is enough for pretty much any road use.

Overall highly recommended and the green LED power button on the back facing you as you cycle makes turning it up / down really easy whilst riding if you need to.

Last edited:

Trevor@Storck

Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne